My 2023 MG 4 with 1980 Poletta.

Attachments

• 20230729_123846.jpg
    20230729_123846.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
  • 20230729_113014.jpg
    20230729_113014.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 152
That is so cute! Looks like there is more room in the car from those pics :)

I seem to be doing this a lot lately, but forgive my ignorance, can the MG4 actually tow? And if so, at what maximum payload?

Thanks

That is so cute! Looks like there is more room in the car from those pics :)

I seem to be doing this a lot lately, but forgive my ignorance, can the MG4 actually tow? And if so, at what maximum payload?

Thanks
Max tow weight 500kg with a max nose weight of 50kg

I still reckon one person (who isn't too tall) could easily sleep in the car itself, on an airbed. There is 1.8 metres (six feet) from the back of the front seat to the tailgate, when the seat is as far forward as possible, and you still have space at the side of a single airbed for other stuff.

The only snag is that if you want to keep the heating or aircon on (and you probably do, to stop the inside of the windows fogging up if for no other reason), the DRLs will stay on. They could be covered up though.

I still reckon one person (who isn't too tall) could easily sleep in the car itself, on an airbed. There is 1.8 metres (six feet) from the back of the front seat to the tailgate, when the seat is as far forward as possible, and you still have space at the side of a single airbed for other stuff.

The only snag is that if you want to keep the heating or aircon on (and you probably do, to stop the inside of the windows fogging up if for no other reason), the DRLs will stay on. They could be covered up though.
Here is the size:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_164543_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_164543_Samsung Internet.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 74
Bear in mind that if towing something substantial (large trailer, caravan), EVs typically lose half their range due to the aerodynamic inefficiencies - slow driving is in order.
As do most other cars pulling a caravan. 1/3 at least. This is not typical EV. I go from 6l/100km to 9L/ 100km pulling 1500kg, even 10l-12l in the mountains. An Ev loads his batteries coming down. It is about the same range most European EV lose in winter because they do not have a heatpump in standard configuration and is a too expensive option.

As do most other cars pulling a caravan. 1/3 at least. This is not typical EV. I go from 6l/100km to 9L/ 100km pulling 1500kg, even 10l-12l in the mountains. An Ev loads his batteries coming down. It is about the same range most European EV lose in winter because they do not have a heatpump in standard configuration and is a too expensive option.
Loss of range in winter is not mostly down to heatpumps but reduced range from the batteries due to the lower temperature. They can be warmed up on longer journeys but this also costs energy.

The reports I have heard are that EVs lose more range towing than ICE cars (proportionately). It will obviously vary with what is being towed and how it is driven.

Loss of range in winter is not mostly down to heatpumps but reduced range from the batteries due to the lower temperature. They can be warmed up on longer journeys but this also costs energy.
It does, the EV must use resistance heat to warm the car and batteries if no heat pump. This drains the battery. The same EV with or without a heat ump, it makes a huge difference in range, Battery preheating for DC charging without a heatpump?

The stuff I have read on heat pumps all states like for like models with and without a heat pump will have about 9-12% more range, so about an extra 20 miles if you are getting 200 miles winter range.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back