Can i take my Wallbox EV charger when i move home?

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So I'm moving in September, had the charger just over a year. Can I just get an electrician to remove it and install in my new address? I bought it under the grant scheme through EVSolutions company. Id get another one there but theyre not doing the grant anymore are they unless you live in a flat or youre a tenant i think. Thanks

It's a really grey area. Under the terms of the old grant you are not supposed to, but the reality is that they'll never know.
A major part of the cost is the install, so if it adds value to your existing property such that it helps pay for a new one that's the best solution.

I would check with a solicitor when you come to sell. Here in Scotland (the law may be different) I think the wallbox counts as an 'improvement' or whatever the term is and you have to state your intention to remove it if you intend to.

It was more around the grant, I wasn't sure if I had to leave it with the property. To be fair when I shown the people around I did show the charger however on the paperwork I never said it included the electric charger and my company paid for it because my car is a company car, so technically it belongs to my company. So I guess I can take it, it's just the new owners will be disappointed. Although it'll be too late then 😉

I would just make sure you itemise it as NOT being included in the sale of the property.
As normal, you will provide a list that states clearly, what you are leaving and what you intend to take from that property, pretty standard format to be honest.
Then the new owners sign and therefore fully unstand your intention NOT to leave the wall box behind !.
You have the perfect excuse really, your company paid for the install and therefore want it reinstalling at your new property.
If you don’t tell the new buyers you intend to take the wall box and then they discover it has gone, you could be handed a bill for a new box to be installed, or you will have to reinstall the original wall box.
That could be both costly and leave a nasty taste.

I would check with a solicitor when you come to sell. Here in Scotland (the law may be different) I think the wallbox counts as an 'improvement' or whatever the term is and you have to state your intention to remove it if you intend to.
I think that would be the correct way anywhere. It's a fixture or a fitting in my opinion so if I saw it on a house details or viewing & it disappeared after I bought the house I'd be having words.

I think that would be the correct way anywhere. It's a fixture or a fitting in my opinion so if I saw it on a house details or viewing & it disappeared after I bought the house I'd be having words.
Yes but the advert never said it was there and I never said on the form it was in the same way I didn't say the ring doorbell was being left or the battery powered wireless cctv I have on the house was being left. I can't lost every single thing. I guess really they jave seen these documents and if they wanted it they could have queried it. Either way it's my companies property not mine. Realistically are they going to take me to court because I took it with me?

Yes but the advert never said it was there and I never said on the form it was in the same way I didn't say the ring doorbell was being left or the battery powered wireless cctv I have on the house was being left. I can't lost every single thing. I guess really they jave seen these documents and if they wanted it they could have queried it. Either way it's my companies property not mine. Realistically are they going to take me to court because I took it with me?
When you get nearer to selling there's a large form to fill in covering all that you are leaving & all that your taking, this forms the basis of "the contract"

Time for a phone call to your legal representative?
Ye ill email my solicitor and ask. Personally if I bought a house and someone had taken it, I may mention it but I'd never go to the hassle of trying to get any money because they took it. I have an outside double socket, there's no mention of that on the forms neither. I answered a questions of is there anything outside that is included, I only said the shed

Ye ill email my solicitor and ask. Personally if I bought a house and someone had taken it, I may mention it but I'd never go to the hassle of trying to get any money because they took it. I have an outside double socket, there's no mention of that on the forms neither. I answered a questions of is there anything outside that is included, I only said the shed
I suppose the forms & system thus far don't expect people to start disconnecting & taking external plug sockets with them when they move? Lightbulbs yes, fixed items? Hmmm

I bet you'll be advised to make it clear what you are proposing to do re the charger to avoid any badwill but it is caveat emptor so 🤷‍♂️

An EV charger would be classed as a fixture so unless you specifically put it in the list of things you are taking with you it would be expected to be left in place.

As to would they take you to court; no idea but if they did they'd win.

It's fixed and wired to the house, therefore it stays with the house unless you've specifically stated that you're taking it. By the logic that its not mentioned at all, means you can take it with you is rubbish. Have you mentioned every electrical socket inside the house in the documents ? Does that mean you can remove and take all the sockets in the house with you ? Of course not.

As to whether they would pursue legal action, is that really the benchmark, of whether you should do something ?

As for the ring/CCTV, stickily speaking, I don't think you are supposed to take things that are fixed to the house, which these are. More of a grey area, since they are not wired in. (unless the ring is). If taking the ring leaves the house without a doorbell, and a gap where one should be, I would suggest that you need to leave a doorbell of some description at least, but perhaps that's taking things too far ?

As always, not a lawyer, consult with them.

You can give us the correct info, once you've consulted the correct people.

Edit: Found the below, not from the UK, but imagine rules would be not dissimilar.

"Many smart home devices, such as an Amazon Echo, simply plug into the wall – or are entirely cordless – making them easily moveable. These types of devices are likely to be considered personal property of the seller. Other smart devices, such as smart switches, smart thermostats, smart doorbells, and security cameras, may be hardwired, which would firmly place them into the “fixtures” category"

Last edited:
It's fixed and wired to the house, therefore it stays with the house unless you've specifically stated that you're taking it. By the logic that its not mentioned at all, means you can take it with you is rubbish. Have you mentioned every electrical socket inside the house in the documents ? Does that mean you can remove and take all the sockets in the house with you ? Of course not.

As to whether they would pursue legal action, is that really the benchmark, of whether you should do something ?

As for the ring/CCTV, stickily speaking, I don't think you are supposed to take things that are fixed to the house, which these are. More of a grey area, since they are not wired in. (unless the ring is). If taking the ring leaves the house without a doorbell, and a gap where one should be, I would suggest that you need to leave a doorbell of some description at least, but perhaps that's taking things too far ?

As always, not a lawyer, consult with them.

You can give us the correct info, once you've consulted the correct people.
At it's most basic; if it takes a reasonable amount of time, effort or expense to remove, or removing it would leave some kind of damage or in a dangerous condition then it's a fixture.

With EO, they expect you to take it with you, which is very narrow minded.

If you get them to unlink you, they then expect the new owner to pay them an admin fee to connect them up!

I would argue this is not made clear at point of purchase and would have chosen a different brand that don't prevent you unlinking/relinking the app to a new email address.

Given the increase in charging points being. Installed and a significant part of the cost being the installation. It would make more sense to leave it behind.

Worth noting hive heating works the same way, can't transfer ownership. New owner has to buy the hub and pay an admin charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom