Can i take my Wallbox EV charger when i move home?

When we bought our present house in 1982 we viewed it empty,
The previous occupants had already moved on.
There was not really anything left inside the house on viewing day.
The sale went through, with a few problems sorted ( as is the norm ).
It was late when received the keys and it was in November.
When I entered the kitchen and flicked on the light over where the kitchen table would go, it did not light.
So, I turned on the main light in the kitchen.
Looking back, expecting the bulb to be missing from the holder.
No !.
There had been a fancy light fitting in the house when we viewed it, not to our taste, but it was there !.
Not now !.
Just a bunch of wires hanging through the ceiling !.
That is how it was left honestly !.
The conductors had just been parted to prevent it from blowing the protection fuse.
This would not happen today of course.
True the house must be left in a safe condition. Unfortunately light bulbs can be taken as they are movables and not fixtures.

Here is another story of electrics left in a unsafe condition.
About 10 year ago, my son bought a bungalow fairly close by to our home address.
It had been owned by an elderly couple who had recently passed away.
The home was almost empty on leaving, except in the kitchen was a almost new electric cooker.
The seller said that it was NOT included in the sale and it would be removed after completing the sale.
A few months passed by and it came to the day when you are receiving the keys 🔑.
He was not moving in for a while, as it needed a LOT of modernising.
When checking the kitchen, the cooker had indeed been removedS agreed - Okay fine 👍.
But on closer inspection, instead of removing the back plate from the rear of the cooker and disconnect it that way, they had turned off the main cooker feed at the isolation switch on the wall, then cut the cable, just at the point where it disappeared behind the plaster !.
You could just see the three bare conductors level with the plaster work.
Naturally you would assume that somebody had isolated the cooker feed at the C.U. ?.
Assume nothing !.
NO - The supply was still turned on at the C.U. !.
It was live right the way through, it was only isolated with the cooker switch was in the OFF position.
Somebody must have been desperate for a short length of 6.0mm T&E I guess 🤣.
I mean seriously, you can’t make up this type of stuff.

The conductors had just been parted to prevent it from blowing the protection fuse.
This would not happen today of course.
You are right, today they'd have just left them how "they fell" and likely you'd have fused the whole lighting circuit. :mad:

On the subject of EV charge points those permanently wired count as fixtures, but those connected via a CEE plug wouldn't. There's no reason if not included in the house description and not noted as being left in the homebuyers pack that a unit couldn't be disconnected and the cable ends left securely in a Wiska box or equivalent.

You are right, today they'd have just left them how "they fell" and likely you'd have fused the whole lighting circuit. :mad:

On the subject of EV charge points those permanently wired count as fixtures, but those connected via a CEE plug wouldn't. There's no reason if not included in the house description and not noted as being left in the homebuyers pack that a unit couldn't be disconnected and the cable ends left securely in a Wiska box or equivalent.
We like a bit of rear entry into a nice Wiska box and some Wago connector's on the conductors.
Safe as it get’s really.

As pointed out in post #35, contrary to what we have all come to believe is true and accept as true, is that there is no legal definition of fixtures and fittings and a vendor is not obliged to leave anything.
I do agree that we all, me included, think of things that are 'hard' attached as fixtures and moveable stuff as fittings. However moving house is a legal thing and using the wrong assumption in a legal matter is not good, in fact I try not to assume anything in any part of life. :)

Sales declarations now have a far more extensive tick list of what you are leaving or not. I doubt it would include the charger yet but they leave far less to accepted practices.

As pointed out in post #35, contrary to what we have all come to believe is true and accept as true, is that there is no legal definition of fixtures and fittings and a vendor is not obliged to leave anything.
I do agree that we all, me included, think of things that are 'hard' attached as fixtures and moveable stuff as fittings. However moving house is a legal thing and using the wrong assumption in a legal matter is not good, in fact I try not to assume anything in any part of life. :)
There's no legal definition in the sense of a prescriptive list of what is a fixture because that would mean anything not on that list is a fitting.
A lot of English+Welsh law relies on not being prescriptive precisely so that it can be flexible when things like EV chargers start being fitted you don't have to change the law.

There is though a legally accepted definition of whether an item should be classed as a fixture or fitting and the sales contract will be quite clear that anything that is a fixture is left unless already agreed in advance. If you take a fitting, and you've not got that agreement, then you're in breach of contract.

I am not sure what the life expectancy of these unit will be but is it really worth installing an old unit in your new property?
A significant cost of installation is all the cables and switch gear? are you taking the whole installation with you? if you do take the unit make sure that the electrician signs of and certificates the remaining electrical installation.
In the whole scale of things is it really worth salvaging a used EV charger. may be a good time to look at the market and upgrade?
I know times are hard but sometimes its worth looking at the whole picture

I am not sure what the life expectancy of these unit will be but is it really worth installing an old unit in your new property?
A significant cost of installation is all the cables and switch gear? are you taking the whole installation with you? if you do take the unit make sure that the electrician signs of and certificates the remaining electrical installation.
In the whole scale of things is it really worth salvaging a used EV charger. may be a good time to look at the market and upgrade?
I know times are hard but sometimes its worth looking at the whole picture
Yep like I said i'm getting a new one

There's no legal definition in the sense of a prescriptive list of what is a fixture because that would mean anything not on that list is a fitting.
A lot of English+Welsh law relies on not being prescriptive precisely so that it can be flexible when things like EV chargers start being fitted you don't have to change the law.

There is though a legally accepted definition of whether an item should be classed as a fixture or fitting and the sales contract will be quite clear that anything that is a fixture is left unless already agreed in advance. If you take a fitting, and you've not got that agreement, then you're in breach of contract.
To be legal or illegal does not require it to be a list, it just hast to define the rules for being on the list. The same as the rules for this forum, be nice to each other, it doesn't have a list of what's nice and what's not.
You say 'There is though a legally accepted definition of whether an item should be classed as a fixture or fitting' Could you point us to that please.

I know and probably everyone else knows what you mean but that is why there is a list now when you move home to avoid arguments as to what is and what is not being taken or left. :)

I have no wish to disagree with anyone here but I do like nice straight logic and definitions and no assumptions or guesswork, just facts. A foible of mine I guess.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom