• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Can the Podpoint charger app control the time I charge my ZS?

John Sauve Rodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
It's about charging on cheap off peak elec rates when the MG doesn't have an app like other EVs. My Podpoint charger app seems to offer controlled charging times but has anyone 'out there' experience of it?

Mikalosh, super! Please, if it is not too much trouble gimme the sequence of operations exactly as you do it.
Hi John yes no problem. First make sure you have the latest version of the app, if you have, at the bottom of the screen you should have a link that says "At Home" select that and it will take you to a screen with the picture of your podpoint, and right at the bottom you should have "Manage Schedule" select it and the screen pops up from the bottom, here you can selct your schedule time and what days you want. I have mine set every day at the same time but only plug in when required. Remember though if you do change click save otherwise it will revert to the original shedule. Hope that helps, if you require any thing else please get in touch.

Mikalosh, super! Please, if it is not too much trouble gimme the sequence of operations exactly as you do it.
Yes I have a podpoint charge point and it works on the timed schedule.
Regards
Pete
Thanks Pete. I just did the biz with the app and cable for 00:30 start tomorrow but it started charging immediately on locking the car. Not right. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Pete. I just did the biz with the app and cable for 00:30 start tomorrow but it started charging immediately on locking the car. Not right. What am I doing wrong?
I don't know exactly about the pod point, but some chargers have 2 MG ZS EV models selectable. The orig released version couldn't be woken up to charge, so to get around it the chargers started charging at a "trickle" low rate as soon as they were plugged in and then ramped up to the proper power at the specified schedule.
Newer cars/updated cars can be woken up (up to 10 hours after plugged in I believe), so they don't start charging it until the specified schedule.

It should work? Have you set every day to the same times, and towards the lower half screen there's a button for 'schedule active' make sure thats on, and after each day has been set ensure you hit the big save button for every day. I think that covers everything.
Regards
Pete

Hi Pete and thanks. Following directly from above I unlocked the car and left it. I looked at it before bed time - it had re-locked itself but was not charging. Icame down at 03:15 (I'm a lifteime bad sleeper) and seeing no action, re-locked it to start - IMAGINE my surprise - it was fully charged. I guess it worked after all. Onward and upward!

When I first setup my timer I did the same thing and like yourself it started charging as soon as I locked the door. I contacted pod point and was told to set it every night for the same time or different time if you so wish but only plug in when you need to charge and it works every time for me unless there is a power cut of course. If you need to charge straight away for emergencies etc then just switch off the schedule for that evening wait 5 minutes and it should start to charge.

Yes, I have used it for about a week shortly after the 'At Home' feature launched. It worked but I found its user interface with regards to the timing slots not intuitive and clumsy if you wanted to change the schedule because it takes so long to update and there wasn't any way to easily override the scheduled Octopus Go 4 hour charge period when I wanted any additional daytime charges. I, therefore, reverted to my external timer controlled by a £10 WiFi timer from Amazon that instantly responds to additional charging commands sent from my phone App.

We use the PodPoint app to charge our ZS EV and MG5 EV and what you will find is there will be a delay between making the schedule changes on the PodPoint App and the charger unit being updated with the changes. If you want to avoid these small charges whilst the charger unit is updated with the schedule do not plug it in to your ZS for a few minutes until the update has been made. I seem to recall a flashing green light on the PodPoint charger that I think indicates the charger is on a schedule timer but may be wrong on this.

It should show a yellowish light on the podpoint charger this will indicate you have set to timed charging

I think Podpoint say something like it can take 15 minutes to update. I found this frustrating and laggy arrangement which is why after a week of using it I reverted to my homebrew timer which has proved to be responsive and reliable the past 18 months plus I have been using it.

I also have batteries in loft set at same time as pod point ie 0030 - 0430 have checked stats and pod point does start charging at 0035 - 0430 . i don't touch settings and works very well

Sorry to be so dim but do you LOCK the MG with cable attached and just walk away hoping that at 00:30 charging begins? God I wish PodPoint had left documentation with the installation.

As above yes just walk away, as for the instructions, they are actually on the their website.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom