Cancel MG4 Trophy and go for Megane E-Tech?

Also, consider repair costs. someone I know with a Tesla had a suspension repair cost him nearly 2k and they had the car for a month. MG and other makes will be different.
Not trying to scare you off any decisions, but just a consideration
My mate mentioned this to me he confirmed the servicing costs were negligible but any out of warranty repairs in cluded a "Tesla tax" would still have one though

Before we opted for our MG4 (collected just 10 days ago), we looked at a Renault Mégane. And didn't even bother to test-drive it, so awful was the interior experience. Dark, with a ridiculously overbearing instrument panel (yes, of course the test version was one of the top-of-the-range models) – in every way the opposite of our airy, pleasant experience during the MG4 test drive. You feel positively hemmed-in, with a huge bonnet in front of you and a microscopic set of windows to the rear (the entire passenger compartment feels like a padded cell).

There are plenty of things to criticise about the MG4 – specifically, the software. But the car itself is an unalloyed pleasure to drive, not least because of the amazing rear-wheel drive. And also because of the fantastic field of vision at the front (no bonnet, very nicely angled A-pillars), the polarised windscreen (hadn't even realised it had one until we drove it back from the dealer's at night and found that oncoming headlights were no longer a penury – especially for my wife, who has serious issues with night vision), the outstanding steering wheel (not to be compared with the old Austin Allegro's ;-)) and the seriously informative driver's instrument panel.

They'll get around to upgrading the software at some point. Meanwhile we've set up a custom profile that suits us (unfortunately you can't include disabling Lane Keep Assist in the profile!) and are thoroughly enjoying the car. We did our first fast-charge at the weekend and were delighted by how straightforward it was. No real complaints so far (well, apart from LKA, of course!).

Interesting reading the thoughts on here last few days.

We are cash buyers and are now potentially swaying towards alternatives to the MG4.

Firstly, we've been fortunate in receiving a small inheritance from a family member which has boosted our budget and meant looking at pricier options is tempting.

Secondly, we've had an SE LR on order since November with no sign of a delivery date. We'd be tempted by an upgrade to a Trophy now our budget has increased but I'm loathe to do that at the increased 2023 list price.

I think the most tempting alternative at the moment is a 2021 facelift second hand Model 3. We could get a low mileage (<15k miles) standard range plus with a heat pump for around £35k, and a long range for under £40k. Having sat in one, it's just another level to any of the new options in terms of interior comfort and infotainment, and love the panoramic sunroof. And of course the supercharger network. The only reason I'm reluctant is I'd prefer a hatchback. And maybe a second screen (although the one screen it does have is streets ahead of the MG).

The megane is also of interest and we've arranged a test drive this week. As a Pixel phone user the Android infotainment is appealing, I like the look of the car and the interior. The front wheel drive aspect puts me off a bit. And I'm just not sure it is worth £40k.

We're also going to test drive a Born. I'm not a fan of the interior as I find some of the dash design a bit tacky, but my wife disagrees and I am expecting it to be a fun drive. But can see the touch buttons annoying both of us. Our local dealer has a couple of reasonable looking second hand options as well.

With all that being said, I've emailed our MG4 dealer to see if there's any chance of switching our order to a Trophy at the 2022 price, and in reasonable time, in which case we would probably probably stick with it. But it seems unlikely.
I've mentioned before in the odd post that comparing a Tesla to the MG4 or any of other on the list above is a little unfair as it's in a different market segment.

I do understand though from a price point of view why a used 2021 one would be very appealing. Like any car they're not perfect and I found when test driving one and as a passenger to struggle with motion sickness under heavy acceleration, the dual motor version is quite a shock to the system I found.

I also found the turning circle to be pretty poor compared to a hatchback. Practicality though was excellent despite it being a saloon and of course access to the (expensive) supercharger network is a big plus. I also found the car pretty soulless but that's subjective of course, just my personal opinion. The tech on it though is outstanding compared to any of the above.

Last edited:
Before we opted for our MG4 (collected just 10 days ago), we looked at a Renault Mégane. And didn't even bother to test-drive it, so awful was the interior experience. Dark, with a ridiculously overbearing instrument panel (yes, of course the test version was one of the top-of-the-range models) – in every way the opposite of our airy, pleasant experience during the MG4 test drive. You feel positively hemmed-in, with a huge bonnet in front of you and a microscopic set of windows to the rear (the entire passenger compartment feels like a padded cell).

There are plenty of things to criticise about the MG4 – specifically, the software. But the car itself is an unalloyed pleasure to drive, not least because of the amazing rear-wheel drive. And also because of the fantastic field of vision at the front (no bonnet, very nicely angled A-pillars), the polarised windscreen (hadn't even realised it had one until we drove it back from the dealer's at night and found that oncoming headlights were no longer a penury – especially for my wife, who has serious issues with night vision), the outstanding steering wheel (not to be compared with the old Austin Allegro's ;-)) and the seriously informative driver's instrument panel.

They'll get around to upgrading the software at some point. Meanwhile we've set up a custom profile that suits us (unfortunately you can't include disabling Lane Keep Assist in the profile!) and are thoroughly enjoying the car. We did our first fast-charge at the weekend and were delighted by how straightforward it was. No real complaints so far (well, apart from LKA, of course!).
Good to hear. Also notable that your main positives are features that all models have, and so we wouldn't be missing if we stick with the SR Long Range.

I suppose I'm not as confident that software bugs will necessarily all, or even mostly, be ironed out though. And it will bug me. I'm more of a computer nerd than car nerd.

To be fair it doesn't seem to be just MG that has problems with it's software, including Carplay and AA integration. It seems to be a long-standing issue in a number of cars (the VW group models for example).

It's another reason I find the more advanced bespoke systems in a Tesla or the Megane appealing, along with the OTA updates.

Going to end up being a tough call. Probably need to get back in an MG4 again and remind ourselves why we ordered in first place.

Good to hear. Also notable that your main positives are features that all models have, and so we wouldn't be missing if we stick with the SR Long Range.

I suppose I'm not as confident that software bugs will necessarily all, or even mostly, be ironed out though. And it will bug me. I'm more of a computer nerd than car nerd.

To be fair it doesn't seem to be just MG that has problems with it's software, including Carplay and AA integration. It seems to be a long-standing issue in a number of cars (the VW group models for example).

It's another reason I find the more advanced bespoke systems in a Tesla or the Megane appealing, along with the OTA updates.

Going to end up being a tough call. Probably need to get back in an MG4 again and remind ourselves why we ordered in first place.
Make sure when you try other cars that you also try an MG4 again. Last weekend we went to Renault, Kia and MG and remembered why we like the MG so much.

Don't forget (sorry if you already know) - the Tesla does not have Carplay or AA.

If mentioned before in the odd post that comparing a Tesla to the MG4 or any of other on the list above is a little unfair as it's in a different market segment.

I do understand though from a price point of view why a used 2021 one would be very appealing. Like any car they're not perfect and I found when test driving one and as a passenger to struggle with motion sickness under heavy acceleration, the dual motor version is quite a shock to the system I found.

I also found the turning circle to be pretty poor compared to a hatchback. Practicality though was excellent despite it being a saloon and of course access to the (expensive) supercharger network is a big plus. I also found the car pretty soulless but that's subjective of course, just my personal opinion. The tech on it though is outstanding compared to any of the above.

Yes, I take your point here on comparisons and comes down to whether it's reasonable to compare old with new.

From shopping around there are very few electric models I'd consider in the second hand market because they seem overpriced, possibly due to availability issues (Ioniq 5 for example).

However with the Model 3s the second hand market seems to be healthy. There are, relatively speaking, a fair few to choose from given the car's popularity, and the recent price drop for new models has helped. Sadly the same cannot be said for second hand Model Ys, which seem to be both rare and expensive.

I personally disagree re the soulless aspect but that's always a matter of taste. I do like the minimalist styling of the interior of both the MG and the Tesla to be fair. Tesla sensibly dropped the piano black plastics in the 2021 facelift though and I do wish MG had gone with a matte finish.

Don't forget (sorry if you already know) - the Tesla does not have Carplay or AA.
Yes I realise this.

From looking into it, it appears that neither of the AA or Carplay platforms are without there issues on any platform, particularly in terms of their reliability and connectivity. And so a good onboard system is preferable (but they are few and far between).

Unsurprisingly dealer says no chance of swapping our SE LR order to a Trophy at 2022 list price. Always unlikely. And we'd join back of long queue so that option is ruled out for us.

So it's test drive booked for a Megane tonight, and a Tesla M3 and Cupra Born at the weekend.

After that we'll see if we can get another half hour in the 4.

I'm already swaying back towards sticking with the 4 though. There's a lot we could spend the saved £7k-£10k on.

Certainly a big jump in cash between an SE LR and even a trophy now, as I've said numerous times the 2 SE cars should clean up in terms of bang for buck.
To jump from an SE to another brand isn't going to give you value for money.
You could probably justify the jump in quality/kit/functionality from a trophy (at current prices) to another brand but not the SE's.

If you set up a custom profile, does the car remember it or does it go back to default?
Ta...... Mark

As I have posted before, I ordered an MG 4 at the start of September and I still do not have a delivery date. I will not comment further on the complete lack of order book management by MG. It’s been frustrating seeing others take delivery when they ordered after me.

I know many people have been very happy with their cars but there are too many people having issues. I don’t want to keep taking my car back to the dealer as they are not local to me. It just seems too much of a risk. My head and heart are no longer in this purchase so I’ve cancelled my order and I am getting my deposit back.

If the car had been delivered in the timeframe stated at time of ordering I would have been an MG 4 owner. I think it’s a good car - if only MG can get their act together.

I’ve placed an order for a Megane. I was given a good discount and a good trade-in for my car. The Renault dealer is local which is another advantage.

Thank you to this forum for all the information you have shared. It has been so useful In conversations with my dealer.

Happy motoring in your MG 4s.

Hi all

I only picked up my MG4 last week and very happy with it (LKA aside!). Nothing else was within my budget admittedly. You get what you pay for but I think the MG4 is a lot of car for the price. Easier to look at the negatives. Anyone looked at 1 star TripAdvisor rather than 5 star. Maybe it's because we are more inclined to complain rather than praise.

As I have posted before, I ordered an MG 4 at the start of September and I still do not have a delivery date. I will not comment further on the complete lack of order book management by MG. It’s been frustrating seeing others take delivery when they ordered after me.

I know many people have been very happy with their cars but there are too many people having issues. I don’t want to keep taking my car back to the dealer as they are not local to me. It just seems too much of a risk. My head and heart are no longer in this purchase so I’ve cancelled my order and I am getting my deposit back.

If the car had been delivered in the timeframe stated at time of ordering I would have been an MG 4 owner. I think it’s a good car - if only MG can get their act together.

I’ve placed an order for a Megane. I was given a good discount and a good trade-in for my car. The Renault dealer is local which is another advantage.

Thank you to this forum for all the information you have shared. It has been so useful In conversations with my dealer.

We make our decisions to suit our situation. I ordered 13th October. I was given the end of January as a possible delivery date. The dealer emailed me on the12th January, saying they may have a delivery update the following week. I haven't heard from them since but I'm not chasing, as some of the problems could be resolved by then. Also, from my situation, I don't believe I(we) could stretch our finances to another make, unless it was a used vehicle.
Just to add, I have a bit of faith in the dealer, as we've dealt with them on and off for many years. I remain open minded though, about their performance.

You need to update your forum profile. ;)
?

We make our decisions to suit our situation. I ordered 13th October. I was given the end of January as a possible delivery date. The dealer emailed me on the12th January, saying they may have a delivery update the following week. I haven't heard from them since but I'm not chasing, as some of the problems could be resolved by then. Also, from my situation, I don't believe I(we) could stretch our finances to another make, unless it was a used vehicle.
Just to add, I have a bit of faith in the dealer, as we've dealt with them on and off for many years. I remain open minded though, about their performance.
Large or small dealer?

Enjoy your new car, I'm sure you will👍

1675968989315.png

;)

Had the test drive in the Megane last night (mid spec techno which will cost about £38,600).

I do like it. But I'm not sure it's helped our decision!

The software and dashboard was WAY more impressive than the MGs. The screen behind the steering wheel was particularly surprising. That's much bigger than I realized, really high resolution and was really good for viewing the google navigation without taking your eyes off the road.

Google integration generally just seemed really good. Screens very responsive. A good amount of physical buttons.

Boot seemed much bigger.

But then after that the other differences were less marked. The interior was a bit nicer but it's a bit less spacious in the rear. I enjoyed driving it but probably not quite as much as the MG (did realise I'd been driving it in Eco for a large part of the test drive annoyingly).

I did not like switching into drive, neutral, reverse via a stick to the right of the steering wheel, but if probably get used to that.

I personally like the look of the Renault more than the SE LR we have on order, although I don't think it looks markedly better than the Trophy.

The wife likes the Renault more, but she doesn't typically consider whether something offers good value!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back