Cancel MG4 Trophy and go for Megane E-Tech?

Not watched it to be fair, reviews are bizzare they are all so different. It was only November or December's when What Car had the V1 Born beating the Trophy and Megane Equilibre in a group test.

Did think it's was strange group as the trophy our specced the other two, as they are bottom of the range, was obviously just to get the cost more comparable. As I say the Born won.

Only sat in a MG4 (SE) and the Born (V2). Neither car would be a bad choice IMO. I would say the Born's interior is quite a step up though in terms of quality compared to the 4. Not that the 4's interior is bad, but you can see a decent difference, same as you can from an ID3 to a Born as well.

The Born has a few extra things like a light in the back and doesn't have bulbs for indicators on the back. But then it has the dreaded haptic buttons.

Can't comment on which would be best to drive, but reviews and forum's would suggest the Born is the better car in terms of driving dynamics. Very subjective though.

I think the question, will be whether the 'better' aspects are worth the extra money.

While the prices are at +£400/500 a month, I certainly won't be going anywhere near an EV. As @remarkable1967 says, for that money, I'd be wanting something that was south facing and didn't have wheels on!

Not watched it to be fair, reviews are bizzare they are all so different. It was only November or December's when What Car had the V1 Born beating the Trophy and Megane Equilibre in a group test.

Did think it's was strange group as the trophy our specced the other two, as they are bottom of the range, was obviously just to get the cost more comparable. As I say the Born won.
It seemed fair as he said the Born is a better car in several aspects but not better enough to justify a £10,000 price difference (although it is less than that now), so the MG4 won. But you are right that reviews are all different and it comes down to people's subjective preferences in many cases.

I think the question, will be whether the 'better' aspects are worth the extra money.
Agreed.
While the prices are at +£400/500 a month, I certainly won't be going anywhere near an EV. As @remarkable1967 says, for that money, I'd be wanting something that was south facing and didn't have wheels on!
Totally understand this point of view. Our Plan B might end up just waiting a year or two and then seeing what is on the market.

I think you'll like the Born from reading your previous posts. For me personally, it's worth the extra money over the 4. I found it more comfortable to sit in, but again having not test drove either, can't comment which would be the best to drive.

With MG putting up their prices, they have now closed the gap to it's nearest competitor IMO, not sure it's a smart move TBH.

It seemed fair as he said the Born is a better car in several aspects but not better enough to justify a £10,000 price difference (although it is less than that now), so the MG4 won. But you are right that reviews are all different and it comes down to people's subjective preferences in many cases.
Absolutely again not like for like, the SE SR is probably not comparable to the Born, the SE would win hands down in terms of value for money.
I would imagine that would be the reason why when it came to a proper group test they used the bottom spec Born, Megane against the Trophy as that is basically only £3/4 k between them.

It's like a group test I read between the Mégane techno and a Born 77kw V3 eboost, the Born won, one of its majors positives was highlighted as it's extra range. It's got a 77kw battery compared to a 60 of course it's going to have better range, it was also around £43/£44k ish compared to £39k

Why they didn't test comparable cars I don't know. Megane techno Vs Born V2 58kw.

All reviews awards can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Im really enjoying my car, I have no regrets but it would really have been hard to decide between that and the Born if they were both available in the same time scales.
My neighbour has one, he said it took him a couple of months to perfect the art of using the haptics. It is by far and away the best handling smaller EV I've driven. Also test drove an e boost version and that was great fun extra I think 20 or 30 bhp on the button on the steering wheel.

Again even more cash so where do you stop!

Absolutely again not like for like, the SE SR is probably not comparable to the Born, the SE would win hands down in terms of value for money.
I would imagine that would be the reason why when it came to a proper group test they used the bottom spec Born, Megane against the Trophy as that is basically only £3/4 k between them.

It's like a group test I read between the Mégane techno and a Born 77kw V3 eboost, the Born won, one of its majors positives was highlighted as it's extra range. It's got a 77kw battery compared to a 60 of course it's going to have better range, it was also around £43/£44k ish compared to £39k

Why they didn't test comparable cars I don't know. Megane techno Vs Born V2 58kw.

Im really enjoying my car, I have no regrets but it would really have been hard to decide between that and the Born if they were both available in the same time scales.
My neighbour has one, he said it took him a couple of months to perfect the art of using the haptics. It is by far and away the best handling smaller EV I've driven. Also test drove an e boost version and that was great fun extra I think 20 or 30 bhp on the button on the steering wheel.

I would be looking at the Skoda Enyak 60, especially into the £40, 000+price range, seen one close up at the weekend, good looking car without the volkswagen software probs.

Ok, here's a long one. Make from this post what you will, take it with a big grain of salt because I am in the end just a stranger on the internet. I've written this to present the standpoint of a situation where owning a Renault turns from uneventful to frustrating.

Renaults were never excellent, they were fine. But now their quality has degraded significantly from my point of view. A thing that has been echoed by the employees of the dealership which I work with.
I don't expect MG to be better than Renault as a brand, I expect them to be the same or even worse. I don't expect my next MG4 to be any better than my current Zoe when it comes to reliability, I would also expect the E-Tech to be just as bad. In this case, it was obvious that it was ok to take the risk on the MG, which my girlfriend also agreed on. So that you know how I tick and how I'm biased if you decide to read this whole rant.

In the list below it has to be noted that this Renault dealer is the only one in my proximity which has EV certification, that's why I can't go to others. We first went to them when they were still family owned, and they were excellent. But they were acquired by a bigger company and now a lot has changed in the way they manage their customers. Furthermore we have service contract with the RS; we're forced to use them. Also I am an exception to the rule that any car will have some issues because I've had exceptionally many issues with my Zoe. Again, be conscious that it's my own opinion I'm very harsh on Renault because of the prices they demand for their cars and the poor quality and services they offered me. No car nor brand is perfect but what I have went through in the last two years is just more than anyone with any car should. Especially if the car was worth 41.000€ sticker price.

First, my critique on the E-Tech.
I've driven the Megane E-Tech and I just don't understand the car. My girlfried felt the same way. It looks nice, it's a very nice design with great use of materials and technology, on paper. And damn I wanted it badly. I followed every story about it, I went to the IAA 2021 in Munich to see it live and get to sit in it and have a look around. I was genuinely excited for the car. I had it for test drive as soon as it was available. But then the woes with the Zoe started happening more often and when I did manage to get a test drive to return my Zoe in exchange for a Megane. It was underwhelming, especially when the dealer quoted me 600€ per month for the Techno with a premium audio system. I will pay half of that for the MG Trophy!
The 220bhp feel sluggish in the low end, but it's still too much for the 215 or 225 wheels it's on. The RS has 245 wheels and it doesn't have the instant torque of the EV, has sport suspension which also helps with grip and it still lights the wheels up. The suspension is weird on the E-Tech, it needs to accommodate the unnecessary large wheels which make the car understeer in a manner I never experienced before. I don't want it to be a Megane RS but my Zoe feels more confident on all-seasons than the E-Tech felt on summer tyres. The very soft rear end doesn't help very much with the dynamic driving I would expect a 220PS to be able to handle. Of course, the car could have had a bad alignment. Then there was the oh so praised infotainment with Google's Android Automotive. I have a Bose system in my Zoe so I quite like my audio system to sound a particular way. I could not set the equaliser while listening to music from my phone. I had to go into the radio and from there set it up. But then the radio stations have often an applied EQ curve which muddled my ability to set it up properly. Then there were weird settings inside of the infotainment suited for a smartphone and the proprietary Renault apps felt tacked on. Not a bit in line with the chosen design language of the OS. The quality seems fine until you have prior experience with Renault cars. I noticed the same patterns I saw in the Zoe, Megane, Twingo. It's still a Renault, a very expensive one at that.

And this is what I'm talking about my bad experience with my Zoe, Twingo and the RS. The list is not exhaustive, there are more events that I didn't include.
1. Got my Zoe brand new, after picking it up went for a drive: steering wheel is vibrating at motorway speeds. One alignment done it was better, but it was still noticeable while driving on the motorway. 2nd alignment, wheels got rebalanced, it almost went away but it's still there. It went away after I changed the tyres at a 3rd party, from the OEM Michelin Crossclimate + to some Hankooks. I pushed them for a change of tyres after it was obvious that there was nothing else left and they excluded it repeatedly saying they cannot reproduce the issue and the wheels are balanced properly and properly aligned.
2. Not even 10.000 miles in, the strut bearings started making noise while turning the wheel. Renault doesn't bother to repair it. Their excuse: the issue will return.
3. The ventilation doesn't push enough warm air in the footwell, instead air is being blown out the lateral vents. Renault doesn't have a fix for this.
4. Rear doors make a horrible noise while closing as if something is breaking inside. Renault says that even if we change the stoppers it won't get better.
5. After one year of ownership and 20.000 miles, had to drive for 1000 miles. After 250 miles coolant started flowing from beneath the car while charging. Stopped charging and called the helpline. Had to be towed to the nearest shop, they found that it was indeed coolant. Couldn't find where it's coming from though, even with a pressure tester. Went to my dealer, they themselves couldn't find anything. Coolant level hasn't dropped since.
6. At a similar time the motor started whining at less than 10kW power or recuperation and between 25 and 30mph (40-50kph) which resonates with the floor and pedals. I thought it's the tires but it's getting slowly louder even after changing them. Renault says it's nothing wrong with the car and the sound is to be expected.
7. While accelerating under 20kW the car jerks slightly. It doesn't accelerate evenly as it did before. It feels like it has worn engine mounts.
8. The steering wheel buttons were unresponsive since day 1. I asked them about it and they said "this is normal, all new ones have unresponsive buttons". After one year the drivers display was unusable due to the unresponsive buttons. They were glad to change it this time, but after replacing the wheel they forgot to plug in the necessary cables so I had no recuperation, no ESP and no hill start assist and lots of lights in my dash. Had to bring the car back and wait for another day to get it fixed.
9. Had to replace the windshield due to a stone chip, they didn't mount it right and was leaking in two spots needing another few days in the shop for repair.
10. The Twingo once didn't want to start. It was in park, 12V was charged, everything ok, you turned the key and nothing happened.
11. After a year the drivers side window of the Twingo makes a rubbing noise while operating. It moos like a cow.
12. After 30.000 miles the suspension of the RS started rattling and feeling loose. Especially nice when you're around 800 miles away from home in a country where you don't speak the language.
13. Check engine light came on after 20.000 miles on the RS, the car needed to be brought 3x to the dealer until they found the issue and ordered parts. Then we waited for more than two months for some special screws that had to be shipped in order to mount these parts.
14. On my Zoe I ordered new rear brakes last October. The parts arrived last week.
15. The RS suffers from random electrical gremlins. Doors don't unlock, windows don't open. Car doesn't see the transmission being in park, even though it is. It randomly squirts wiper fluid after half an hour. And the 12V battery is not faulty.
16. Charging is unreliable, CCS died on me while going home, it just didn't want to charge at any CCS station. AC was ok though. Limped home somehow, the car needed a software update which fixed that issue. Now the car randomly decides to stop charging on AC and DC sometimes. It throws an error that something's up with the charge port and won't charge for the next half an hour. Renault says it's overvoltage, but all the other cars charging beside me on the same stations (two triple chargers in one instance and 6 Ionity in another) don't have any issue when I get the error. Renault doesn't offer any solution.
17. Software is bad. The Zoe's front camera fogs up and then you can't use the high beams anymore. You cannot turn off automatic high beams. Auto recirculation fogs up the car regardless if summer or winter (the old one did it much better). The charging port flap randomly opens while driving. The seat belt reminder goes off even though the seatbelt is plugged in correctly. I cannot charge my iPhone 12 on the inductive charging pad, it tells me to remove all metallic objects (guess what, every phone is full of metal!). The half-press on the stalk for 3x signal doesn't react sometimes, even after repeated presses it doesn't trigger the signal. The audio system stays silent randomly, the reverse camera doesn't show up randomly, apple carplay doesn't always show, even though it runs in the background. The lane-assist system pushes me into oncoming traffic on tight roads. You can't ever rely on it because it will randomly just deactivate without any warning the second it sees a curve. Sometimes it will beep at me to keep my hands on the wheel while I'm trying to drive in the middle of my lane and it tries to move the car towards the center of the road.

As you've probably guessed, my Zoe drives the most miles, 15.000 per year. The RS is being driven with 9.000 per year by my dad. My gf's Twingo is running around 5.000 miles per year. I get the RS to bring it to service mostly, because my job is much more flexible than my dads. Note that the events above happened into the last two years. After 7 years and almost 150.000 miles of Renault of which 4 years were Zoes with almost half the total distance, I won't be going to them again for a car any time soon.

I would be looking at the Skoda Enyak 60, especially into the £40, 000+price range, seen one close up at the weekend, good looking car without the volkswagen software probs.
I test drove the Enyak and it was a nice big car...and therein lay the problem for myself...nice. It did everything fine, had everything I needed but just did not excite me..a bit function over form imo. It all comes down to personal taste, requirements, budget etc. No right no wrong, one person's medicine is anothers poison etal.

I think journalists get the car they are given, like it or lump it. Your Top Gears might get a choice but I think even then they get given the same car as I have heard of complaints from motoring journos that Top Gear broke the car before they got it so they had nothing to review.

It's decent. Two problems with the Enyaq: efficiency is very bad. Especially in cold weather it seems to lose range massively. And: you just can't get one. Estimated time of delivery over 12 months if you can order one. Crazy times.

Going on earlies figures of £5000 6000 miles.

£391 MG4 Trophy
£428 Mégane techno.
£416.42 Cupra Born V2 (5000 miles instead of 6)

£2000 dep 10000 miles. Pa

£480 MG4 Trophy 8.9% apr
£530 Mégane techno. 6.4% apr
£503.80 cupra Born V2 5.9% apr

The price rise and Apr rise is a bit of a game changer for the trophy.
So, have I got this right?
For a trophy over four years £391x48=£18,768
Plus £5,000 deposit=£23,768. Call it £24,000 if it's actually 49 payments. You're allowed to drive 6,000 miles a year which, by coincidence, is 24,000 miles.
That's a pound a mile. How is that cheap motoring?
Oh, and you don't even own a car at the end of the four year PCP term.
Ouch!

Interesting reading the thoughts on here last few days.

We are cash buyers and are now potentially swaying towards alternatives to the MG4.

Firstly, we've been fortunate in receiving a small inheritance from a family member which has boosted our budget and meant looking at pricier options is tempting.

Secondly, we've had an SE LR on order since November with no sign of a delivery date. We'd be tempted by an upgrade to a Trophy now our budget has increased but I'm loathe to do that at the increased 2023 list price.

I think the most tempting alternative at the moment is a 2021 facelift second hand Model 3. We could get a low mileage (<15k miles) standard range plus with a heat pump for around £35k, and a long range for under £40k. Having sat in one, it's just another level to any of the new options in terms of interior comfort and infotainment, and love the panoramic sunroof. And of course the supercharger network. The only reason I'm reluctant is I'd prefer a hatchback. And maybe a second screen (although the one screen it does have is streets ahead of the MG).

The megane is also of interest and we've arranged a test drive this week. As a Pixel phone user the Android infotainment is appealing, I like the look of the car and the interior. The front wheel drive aspect puts me off a bit. And I'm just not sure it is worth £40k.

We're also going to test drive a Born. I'm not a fan of the interior as I find some of the dash design a bit tacky, but my wife disagrees and I am expecting it to be a fun drive. But can see the touch buttons annoying both of us. Our local dealer has a couple of reasonable looking second hand options as well.

With all that being said, I've emailed our MG4 dealer to see if there's any chance of switching our order to a Trophy at the 2022 price, and in reasonable time, in which case we would probably probably stick with it. But it seems unlikely.

I can recommend the Mégane I have a techno, got a £1200 discount, as have most, so brings the price down a bit. Drove a Born and neighbour has one, handles great but buttons and infotainment system annoyed me. Google system in Megane is another level
If you can get a Trophy at the old rates, price and Apr then makes sense but if not the trophy isn't worth it in my opinion, not anymore

I can recommend the Mégane I have a techno, got a £1200 discount, as have most, so brings the price down a bit. Drove a Born and neighbour has one, handles great but buttons and infotainment system annoyed me. Google system in Megane is another level
If you can get a Trophy at the old rates, price and Apr then makes sense but if not the trophy isn't worth it in my opinion, not anymore

In my country, the Megane that is the same price point as the Mg4 is having less range and slower fast charging. Doesn't seem like a better deal for the same money to me.

In my country, the Megane that is the same price point as the Mg4 is having less range and slower fast charging. Doesn't seem like a better deal for the same money to me.
It is the same here. The argument people are making is not that the Megane (or Born etc..) is as cheap as the MG4, they are not, but rather that the gap has narrowed and the difference is smaller and may be justified by the better quality / design (assuming you can afford it).

Europe also has a Megane model with a smaller battery/ range, 40kwh battery that isn't available in the UK. This is about the same price as the MG4

Thanks Ian. I had not factored that in to be fair. Need to do some more research!
Also, consider repair costs. someone I know with a Tesla had a suspension repair cost him nearly 2k and they had the car for a month. MG and other makes will be different.
Not trying to scare you off any decisions, but just a consideration

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel