Cancel MG4 Trophy and go for Megane E-Tech?

No need to apologise I even had a whole car covered in Lidl signs posted, with reference to it being my car, it was all just a bit of fun like I say Alb had done a bit of housekeeping so a whole load of posts have been removed.

You may be surprised but I'm genuinely glad that your car has no issues, I am also sure that if you did get one that Perth MG would fix it no problem.
I don't have an issue with them and I was quite impressed with the salesman, he did bs me a bit when I spoke to him about the trays and oil leak by saying their pdis are another level we don't have any of those issues on any of our cars, then I showed him the bulge on his showroom car and test drive car, he was a bit lost for words.
Like I said I'm happy for people that have no issues, got everything crossed for FiferMG that his is like yours, as he has waited patiently since September for his.
The frustrating thing is that they have made a great car, there is nothing on the market that gets close to either of the SE cars but they could clean up if they sorted out a proper customer focused response to issues.
The positive dealer stories are getting lost in the considerable amount of poor ones, and I'm sorry MG UK just seem routinely poor in their responses as has been backed up by members who have had previous MG's.
Like I said I'm glad yours is ok

It was me that mentioned Aldi I believe when I kicked off this thread. To clarify, I compared the shoddy dealer service and care post-ordering at MG4 with the excellent professional experience at Renault as like going from Aldi to Waitrose in terms of how I felt. I could also talk about the difference between service and hospitality, where service is what they do for you and hospitality is how they make you feel. Over the weeks post-ordering I felt increasingly anxious and moved from really looking forward to the car to hoping for the best. The dealer experience was a massive part of that.

It wasn't a comparison about the quality of the MG4 which I still think beats the Renault on the 'fun to drive' criteria. If I hadn't liked it then I wouldn't have ordered it.

Differences between the experiences we're clear and are still happening. Renault sent me a comprehensive welcome letter after ordering (from the MD) with links to everything I needed to know about owning and driving the car and asked if I had been looked after well by the salesman etc. When I ordered the MG4 I got nothing apart from an email confirming they had got my deposit and a quick email a month later saying no news. Then they basically ignored me completely.

No need to apologise I even had a whole car covered in Lidl signs posted, with reference to it being my car, it was all just a bit of fun like I say Alb had done a bit of housekeeping so a whole load of posts have been removed.

You may be surprised but I'm genuinely glad that your car has no issues, I am also sure that if you did get one that Perth MG would fix it no problem.
I don't have an issue with them and I was quite impressed with the salesman, he did bs me a bit when I spoke to him about the trays and oil leak by saying their pdis are another level we don't have any of those issues on any of our cars, then I showed him the bulge on his showroom car and test drive car, he was a bit lost for words.
Like I said I'm happy for people that have no issues, got everything crossed for FiferMG that his is like yours, as he has waited patiently since September for his.
The frustrating thing is that they have made a great car, there is nothing on the market that gets close to either of the SE cars but they could clean up if they sorted out a proper customer focused response to issues.
The positive dealer stories are getting lost in the considerable amount of poor ones, and I'm sorry MG UK just seem routinely poor in their responses as has been backed up by members who have had previous MG's.
Like I said I'm glad yours is ok
Forgot you were from my neck of the woods. That changes everything! 🤣

I got the showroom car so you’ll have seen my bulge (easy now!) and yeah, like everyone else I’ve been promised a fix once a fix is approved by MG.

I’ve still to book in for the recall to get the software update. Must admit I’m a bit nervous that it might cause issues to appear that I’ve not had before once it gets that update. That is no doubt borne out of reading some of the more negative experiences spoken about on here. Fingers crossed all will be fine!

It was me that mentioned Aldi I believe when I kicked off this thread. To clarify, I compared the shoddy dealer service and care post-ordering at MG4 with the excellent professional experience at Renault as like going from Aldi to Waitrose in terms of how I felt. I could also talk about the difference between service and hospitality, where service is what they do for you and hospitality is how they make you feel. Over the weeks post-ordering I felt increasingly anxious and moved from really looking forward to the car to hoping for the best. The dealer experience was a massive part of that.

It wasn't a comparison about the quality of the MG4 which I still think beats the Renault on the 'fun to drive' criteria. If I hadn't liked it then I wouldn't have ordered it.

Differences between the experiences we're clear and are still happening. Renault sent me a comprehensive welcome letter after ordering (from the MD) with links to everything I needed to know about owning and driving the car and asked if I had been looked after well by the salesman etc. When I ordered the MG4 I got nothing apart from an email confirming they had got my deposit and a quick email a month later saying no news. Then they basically ignored me completely.
I get where you’re coming from with the comparison and have obviously picked you up wrong, apologies. Thought you were on about the cars. And I really don’t like Renaults so that’s where that came from!

How you are treated by the dealer does make a difference certainly. But it’s all subjective and they can vary wildly. Even with more premium brands, the dealer service can be poor as I have previously experienced.

I think part of my defensive approach
Your posts here have felt defensive, and I understand you may feel that way if you personally have had no issues and have been happy with the service you have received.

My experience with my MG4 has been the worst I have ever had with a new car, and I have had a lot of new cars. The only reason I have not yet rejected is that I am lucky to have an excellent service manager who, despite MGs’ incompetence and indifference to my issues and resulting inconvenience (my car has been back to dealer 9 times now) has been dogged in his determination to get resolutions. It should not be this way.

If you are coming to this forum to reinforce the warm positive feeling that you have about your car and experience then you won’t always find that and, I would suggest, in this thread less so. The thread title does give you a hint.

I’m honestly chuffed, and a little bit jealous, that you are so pleased with your car and hope you continue to find the forum as useful as I do despite your misgivings on the negative posts that aren’t going away any time soon I fear. 👍

Now that we are all pals again can we have a whip round, I have a new profile pic, think this will be my second car, found a place lanes cars. They are building retro MGs and fitting them out with full EV drivetrains, only £99k so dig deep😉

Just for you Crawfyp

RBW-EV-Cars-main-agent-lanes-cars-rbw-ev-cars-main-distributor-test-drive-and-order-your-ev-el...jpg

lanes-cars-rbw-ev-cars-main-agent-16.jpg

I take exception to quite a few things in this post.

The poster you refer to, Leni is one of a few who love a good moan about the car and the brand, reiterating how much they dislike the company’s approach to any customer issues. Everyone vaguely active reading the forum knows this and I don’t need to waste my time citing examples for you to pick them apart and try to prove me wrong.

I wouldn’t describe that as having a genuine interest. They are more like a jilted lover who can’t let go. The recent troll type move bring the addition of the Lidl logo to try to wind folk up.

Your next bit about wanting more posters like them is quite annoying to me. These types of posts are repetitive and offer nothing more than winding people like me up and put doubts in some folks minds.

You want views from everywhere, not create a closed shop? Well that’s what you’re doing by pissing people like me off. It’ll end up with just you and the moaners left if that’s the way you carry on.

Who made you the boss of who ‘we’ want and don’t want on the forum anyway? The attitude displayed in your post shows that this forum really isn’t ‘one of the best out there’ particularly if you’re in charge of who’s in it.
Removed my comment but can't delete the "Quoting"

Last edited:
I think its you who doesn't want opinions on both sides
I think it's you became angry. I am more than happy to hear options, but as this is an MG forum, I would expect the bias to be towards MG EVs', sharing hints, tips, experiences etc. For example, I would not join a Skoda forum when I didn't own one, just to run down the Skoda and promote MG EVs'

Tsedge it's been said before but now with the price and Apr rise (not before, I think I'm right in saying there has been 2 Apr rises since you and a few other ordered)
The gap in PCP payments isn't that huge.
If you take into account the £1200 discount and free paint upgrade I got. Also £1k more PX.
The only thing the techno doesn't have that I can see the trophy has is the 360 camera.
Trophy is over £33k now if you want a colour other than white or blue.
I don't agree. Even factoring in that discount the difference is over £5k and something like £140/m extra on PCP. That's hardly not "huge", it is around 30% higher payments.

People keep saying the difference isn't much. Great if you can afford it but as far as I can see those statements are not true.

I don't agree. Even factoring in that discount the difference is over £5k and something like £140/m extra on PCP. That's hardly not "huge", it is around 30% higher payments.

People keep saying the difference isn't much. Great if you can afford it but as far as I can see those statements are not true.
Quick calculations fro respective finance calculators. MG's.
Hypothetical figures.

£5000 deposit, 6000 miles a year MG trophy grey £391 a month

Renaults £39495 list price, £1200 deposit contribution, so added that to the deposit so £5000 becomes £6200. £428 a month so only £37 a month difference. The 2.5% cheaper Apr makes a difference.

Everything else the same 6000 miles 4 years.

Couldn't get the deposit down exactly so £26 extra on the Renault deposit.

Renault also have me £1000 more PX than 3 different MG garages offered me.
Add that to the deposit/PX the £5k becomes £7200 against the Renault's £39495

Now only £14 a month difference. Obviously hypothetical figures, but Renault have given everyone I've chatted to a similar deposit and a few people have confirmed a far better PX price.
You take £2200 of the £39495 that brings you down to £37295.(£4255 difference) The Apr rate does the rest.
Even without the extra PX it's only £37 more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204-164648.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-164648.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20230204-165352.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-165352.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230204-165927.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-165927.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 43
Renault also have me £1000 more PX than 3 different MG garages offered me.
Add that to the deposit/PX the £5k becomes £7200 against the Renault's £39495

Now only £14 a month difference. Obviously hypothetical figures, but Renault have given everyone I've chatted to a similar deposit and a few people have confirmed a far better PX price.
You take £2200 of the £39495 that brings you down to £37295.(£4255 difference) The Apr rate does the rest.
Even without the extra PX it's only £37 more
These figures only seem to work for a high deposit with low mileage.

We are paying £385/m for our Trophy based on 10,000 miles a year over 48 months with a £2,000 deposit. Renault's system quotes £533/m for the same on a Techno even when I make deposit £3,200.

Our MG garage offered us the best p/x price of anyone we spoke to (did not try Renault though).

Your deale is obviously the old Apr then as now showing as £480 a month on your figures, £2000 dep, 10000 miles no upgrade paint either

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204-174940.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-174940.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 34
Yeah that's the figures I get and compared to your deal it's not competitive.

If you were going with your figures now though it's only £50 difference, according to the MG calculator

Your deale is obviously the old Apr then as now showing as £480 a month on your figures, £2000 dep, 10000 miles no upgrade paint either
It is on the old price, old apr and we did not want to upgrade paint anyway, but I don't see why it would make such a difference now, unless MG have dramatically dropped the MGFV?

Edit: perhaps I am remembering our deal wrongly, and our deposit is more. Will check tomorrow and report back if my figures are wrong. I appreciate you trying to help.

It is on the old price, old apr and we did not want to upgrade paint anyway, but I don't see why it would make such a difference now, unless MG have dramatically dropped the MGFV?
It's certainly a big jump from when you got your deal, you were prior to the 1st of Nov weren't you?

Might explain it a bit, I ordered my 4 on 1st October the day after it jumped from 7% Apr to 7.9%, it's obviously now 8.9% so nearly a 2% rise since you ordered. Extra £95 a month is a big jump though

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back