Cancel MG4 Trophy and go for Megane E-Tech?

Another SUV style thingy, just what we need in the UK.......Bet there's a 35 year waiting list as well lol.
Reading this, the Ocean will be built for Fisker by the same company (Magna-Steyr) that makes the i-Pace for Jaguar.
The base model will have around 70kWh of LFP batteries.

Not for me. Don’t Jaguar’s break down all the time as well? Smart looking SUV if that’s what you’re looking for.

Having read up on a few threads in the other forums, its really not a case of grass is greener...tbh I think most of these manufacturers bringing these new EV's to market at the moment are struggling with adhoc build specs, QC issues, and software bugs that you wouldn't usually expect in such abundance and that the dealer networks are ill equipped and ill informed to deal with them.

Honestly which ever car people decide is right for them, I hope everyone takes in all of the valuable information across these threads from customers of the respective brand/model and goes into the purchase with their eyes wide open.

Meanwhile on another forum discussing the potential Megane e-tech ownership experience....... :oops:

Loud bang, Electric motor failure, Electric system failure, 9k repairs, Car rejected.​

Quick summary;
New Renault Megane E Tech collected - 07/12/22
First Fault after 8 days - 15/12/22
Recovered to dealer - 22/12/22
Rejection letter submitted - 04/01/23
Rejection accepted 09/02/23

As of 09/03/23 no refund received. The dealer has advised this week that 9k of repairs have only just been completed to replace the DC inverter and the Electric motor. That would explain the loud bang that frightened the neighborhood!

Attachments

• megane_ebomb.jpeg
    megane_ebomb.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 75
Meanwhile on another forum discussing the potential Megane e-tech ownership experience....... :oops:

Loud bang, Electric motor failure, Electric system failure, 9k repairs, Car rejected.​

Quick summary;

As of 09/03/23 no refund received. The dealer has advised this week that 9k of repairs have only just been completed to replace the DC inverter and the Electric motor. That would explain the loud bang that frightened the neighborhood!
Can't be Meganes are perfect, and can't be faulted

Quick summary;

Your the second person to post this, it's in another thread also.
Well done on finding the one crap Megane that has been rejected.

Can't be Meganes are perfect, and can't be faulted
Never ever said they can't be faulted, but they certainly have a better track record the the 4 (thus far!) That may change, you never know

Your the second person to post this, it's in another thread also.
Well done on finding the one crap Megane that has been rejected.
No need to take it personally......I don't think anyone assumes any one car/manufacturer can be summed up by one owners experience, but hopefully allows potential owners a balanced viewpoint that wasn't evident in earlier posts to this thread.

Never ever said they can't be faulted, but they certainly have a better track record the the 4 (thus far!) That may change, you never know
People keep saying this but I haven't seen any actual evidence, just impressions from forums. Not saying it isn't true but if anyone has actual data on reliability of EVs that is recent, would be good to see.

Quite a few more 4s rejected is what I'm going on, having read a few forums and a few Facebook groups.
As I've always said I hope everyone's car is faultless, don't wish any aggravation on anyone.
It's a shout for the individual to judge what if anything they are willing to put up with in relation to niggles

Quite a few more 4s rejected is what I'm going on, having read a few forums and a few Facebook groups.
As I've always said I hope everyone's car is faultless, don't wish any aggravation on anyone.
It's a shout for the individual to judge what if anything they are willing to put up with in relation to niggles
Zero niggles here.

There are reasons for liking one car over the other. The main issue here which maybe some are losing fact of isn't that certain cars are without fault (all cars are), but the MG4 seemed to have a lot of faults and the traction to get these resolved was poor at best, and none existent in some cases.

I do understand and can see they are resolving things now, and it sometimes make me wonder if I should have been patient as my order had been scheduled for May before cancelling it, but that is not to say I have any regrets, apart from a slight monetary one as went for something more expensive.

Overall its about peace of mind and the 4 couldn't provide that for a lot of people. Also this forum has made me realise that some people are very resilient and innovative and these are really good traits. It's all down to individual preference but my preference is not to have to spend thousands on a car and come up with work arounds for things that don't work as they should.

Quick summary;

Is this just a case of go big (BANG!) or go home?

I would feel sorry for anyone who had a car that needed £9k repairs.

I do understand and can see they are resolving things now

There is one major fault that some are experiencing, some have yet to experience and some may never experience because they don’t ever drive fast enough and that is the restricted speed.
72mph for me last night again, flat out.
Can you imagine if MG advertised the car as having a top speed of 72mph..?
Anyway, my point is they seem clueless as to what is causing this, or do know what’s causing it and are unwilling/unable to fix it.
So resolving it seems a long way away.

Then we move onto ‘lesser’ things like the lane assist resetting all the time.
Whatever car I get to replace the 4, I’m making damn sure I can get this sorted permanently.
For example, if I go for an ID3 or Cupra Born I already know I can get it permanently disabled via VCDS ( ‘remember last setting’ )
It’s not even some ski mask gimp with a laptop in a carpark, it’s official dealers that will do it.
No sign of this being resolved on the 4 either officially or via unofficial means.

Is this just a case of go big (BANG!) or go home?

I would feel sorry for anyone who had a car that needed £9k repairs.

Does it say the owner had to pay?
AFAIK it means there are £9k worth of repairs, covered by warranty?
God knows what traction motor replacement in my 4 is ‘worth’. I didn’t pay anything.
Be interesting to find out what someone paying would have had to stump up though.

Does it say the owner had to pay?
AFAIK it means there are £9k worth of repairs, covered by warranty?
God knows what traction motor replacement in my 4 is ‘worth’. I didn’t pay anything.
Be interesting to find out what someone paying would have had to stump up though.

It's more of a fact that if/when the warranty does expire, such a large repair would make the car uneconomical to repair.

It's more of a fact that if/when the warranty does expire, such a large repair would make the car uneconomical to repair.
To be fair you could say that for any car needing a big repair out with warranty. bowfer's new traction motor would have cost a few quid out with warranty.
The vast majority of owners may move the car on before the warranty expires

To be fair you could say that for any car needing a big repair out with warranty. bowfer's new traction motor would have cost a few quid out with warranty.
The vast majority of owners may move the car on before the warranty expires
Name something on an ICE vehicle which would cost in the region of £9k to repair? This is something that owners of EV vehicles have to be aware of.

I wasn't criticizing Renault for the fault but more of the fact that some 2nd or 3rd owner of the car is going to end up with a large headache if those items needed to be replaced out of warranty. The first owner is covered in all likelihood but this will mean that the second hand market for EV's is going to be very depressed.

Just to throw this in the mix, this is more likely to be closer to what I would be looking for:

Name something on an ICE vehicle which would cost in the region of £9k to repair? This is something that owners of EV vehicles have to be aware of.

I wasn't criticizing Renault for the fault but more of the fact that some 2nd or 3rd owner of the car is going to end up with a large headache if those items needed to be replaced out of warranty. The first owner is covered in all likelihood but this will mean that the second hand market for EV's is going to be very depressed.
I wasn't taking it as a pop at Renault, just as you say it's expensive to repair but first owners probably won't care as they have a warranty. You are right in what you say about the used market. A new engine would probably be the most expensive repair on an ice car, depending on the car/age etc you are right that in most cases it wouldn't be that expensive (£9k)

I had the misfortune to own a bmw 2.0 diesel when it had a design fault on oil pickup. Cost me £10k for new engine on a 3 and a bit year old car.
Google there was a few others too.

It’s the equivalent of an engine replacement in an ICE, using a brand new factory-fresh engine.
Something a cost conscious ICE owner wouldn’t do, they’d seek a refurbished or used engine.
Same as if you need any part on an ICE, you rarely buy the factory option, you get as good or better elsewhere for less money.

With time, the same will happen for EVs, stocks of used, refurbished or even aftermarket parts will flourish.
You won’t need a ‘Renault’ motor, you’ll buy one from another aftermarket manufacturer.
It’s an electric motor, they’ve been around for a hundred years in other applications.
A motor is a motor is a motor.
It’s not up for debate, it’s absolutely inevitable .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back