Can't charge at some charging stations

Tekar

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I own a MG5 EV facelift (not long range) in Belgium. I usually charge at home but I've recently been experimenting with charging stations. Some work but with others I have the following issue:

I plug in the car, lock it and scan my card. The charger will say (translated) "Charging is being prepared" and then immediately jump to "Charging is being ended". I get a €0.00 bill.

I assume it has something to do with the car needing to be triggered to start charging (either on the touch screen or through the app) and the charging station detecting the car is not taking any charge. I tried with scheduled charging on and off to no avail. I tried triggering charging while scanning the card but the app returns "failed".

Anybody familiar with this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Tom

You don't need to trigger anything, the car should start charging automatically.

I'd suggest holding the connector firmly in place while it starts to charge. Sometimes if the comms connection isn't great the charge can fail.

I've found that most public chargers I've used in the UK you need to scan your payment card first then plug it in once the card has been accepted. No need to lock the car to begin charge.

I own a MG5 EV facelift (not long range) in Belgium. I usually charge at home but I've recently been experimenting with charging stations. Some work but with others I have the following issue:

I plug in the car, lock it and scan my card. The charger will say (translated) "Charging is being prepared" and then immediately jump to "Charging is being ended". I get a €0.00 bill.

I assume it has something to do with the car needing to be triggered to start charging (either on the touch screen or through the app) and the charging station detecting the car is not taking any charge. I tried with scheduled charging on and off to no avail. I tried triggering charging while scanning the card but the app returns "failed".

Anybody familiar with this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Tom

Are these older chargers? Some older ones here do much the same and it's because they either don't get an answer from the car's bms or they don't like the answer they get. i.e. older chargers were designed to work on much smaller batteries and bigger batts will have higher resistance and the charger sees this as a fault.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom