• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Cant open petrol cap

Davidscott001

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I can not open the petrol cap. I had been driving for about 15miles had 35miles left in the tank. Fuel gauge then suddenly dissappears. I drive to nearest petrol station to refuel but the cap won't release. Turn the car off, lock the car, wait fir five minutes redo the release switch, get the green light and still locked on. Decided to drive home nearly get there stall 30m from home car completely dead no petrol no battery but still can't open the cap?

I dread going to a petrol station - luckily I only have to visit every couple of months. The petrol filler flap is a real pain going through various versions of the release ritual.

Petrol Filler Flap.jpg

I can not open the petrol cap. I had been driving for about 15miles had 35miles left in the tank. Fuel gauge then suddenly dissappears. I drive to nearest petrol station to refuel but the cap won't release. Turn the car off, lock the car, wait fir five minutes redo the release switch, get the green light and still locked on. Decided to drive home nearly get there stall 30m from home car completely dead no petrol no battery but still can't open the cap?
I was extremely frustrated at first as well but thanks to this forum I realised I was pressing the release for too long and too often. It really is a 2 second press thing. Cured my problem and I had no issues since. Love this forum.

Oh myyy. Agreed with the above - I love this forum too. I only bought petrol twice so far and both times couldn't understand the complicated fuel door system but also didn't think to look in the manual. Every other car I've had, as long as the car was unlocked, I pushed the fuel door in and it popped open. I've never heard of a pressurised fuel tank but it appears that HS PHEV is not the only one. Honda Insight has one too according to this article and it's to "reduce the amount of fuel vapors that can escape into the atmosphere"...

All modern petrol cars have a system to control fuel vapour. You'll normally see it identified as something like the Evaporative Emission Control System.

I must admit it was very frustrating the first time I visited the gas station. My partner and I struggled for quite a while before we figured it out. At least it makes it more difficult for thieves to steal any petrol even if they have access to an open door. LOL!
But from a usability perspective this design is useless.

Haha I’m not the only one concerned about visiting a petrol station and make a fool of myself unable to open the fuel flap. Yes don’t keep the button pressed for too long or even too short otherwise it won’t open.

The fuel tank in the PHEV/EHS is pressurised so the fuel will not go stale too quickly due to lack of use of the petrol engine.

I have had difficulties with that switch, until I read the manual and you have to hold the button in for at least two seconds. A brief push will not do it.

Also, because the fuel system works on positive pressure, it doesn't work first time because the pressure has not been released properly, and you have to press the button a second time. It is a scutter (good Scottish word !) when at a filling station with a line of cars waiting to get to the pumps, and you are running between the driver's seat and the petrol filler cap. So far never had an experience like yours. I found it annoying until I read the manual and now it's just a case of being patient.

Just my experience,... I turn off the car by the ignition button.
Then I just press the refuel button once ( I don't hold it)
Wait for 2-5 seconds and the screen will say please refuel together with a green arrow or something....

Never had issues.

Wait for 2-5 seconds and the screen will say please refuel together with a green arrow or something....

Never had issues.
I'm coming back on my words..... Just went for a refuel , refueling icon won't change from yellow to green.... Waited for ten minutes and it show me a red "refueling system needs service" icon. So I call the garage, and they tell me to drive to them , but I have corona so I have noone to pick me up. Instead I drive home electric and tried unlinking the battery for 5minutes. Does doesn't change anything. So I called mg assistance and they just towed the car and will be releasing it to the garage tomorrow.

I hope it will be fixed soon.
My guess it it has something to do with the pressure release valve that is stuck or something., I have 8800km in total btw.

Oh myyy. Agreed with the above - I love this forum too. I only bought petrol twice so far and both times couldn't understand the complicated fuel door system but also didn't think to look in the manual. Every other car I've had, as long as the car was unlocked, I pushed the fuel door in and it popped open. I've never heard of a pressurised fuel tank but it appears that HS PHEV is not the only one. Honda Insight has one too according to this article and it's to "reduce the amount of fuel vapors that can escape into the atmosphere"...
I had Honda CR-V and both the dealer and the handbook said that after fueling I should keep the fuel gun nozzle in the filler tube to allow the tank suction system to drain the nose and thereby prevent fuel dripping when removed and contaminating the vehicle paint. I followed their instructions and in the five years of ownership never once got fuel on the paint. However, I don't think this is the purpose of the system. I think it is designed to minimise fuel vapour escaping during fueling the vehicle as petrol and diesel plus certain additives are carcinogenic when inhaled. Another reason to own a full BEV I guess

Never had issues.
Me to, I've had mine 2 and a bit years, never had an issue filling up as the dealer when doing the walk around when I collected it went through the motions with me.... BUT, today as usual the flap opened no issue, but I could not twist the filler cap off, tried locking and unlocking, tried the press once saw the green light to refuel still didn't work tried again one press still no luck. Anybody got any ideas ? @Alb I'll give standing on one leg and scratching my left ear a try too.

I have just picked my car up last week and had no idea of this procedure. I have filled it up I just pressed the button jumped out and the flap opened and cap came off with no issues. I think I was just lucky. The dealer said nothing of this procedure and lets be honest who reads the manual, that's like admitting defeat :)

Yes, I have experienced this.
First time I refueled my HS phev np, pushed the button under the dash for 2 secs as book said, waited until the green notice came up saying refuel now, opened the cap and filled up, np.
Second time I filled up, followed the same steps but the cap wouldnt release. I tried and a couple of others at the service station did as well but it was stuck tight.
Rung up the dealer he said bring it out and wouldnt you know it he opened the flap twisted the cap and it came straight off and said whats the problem :(
Now I carry a small 8 inch shifting spanner in the glovebox and if its tight, put the on spanner gently on and with more leverage it comes straight off :)
I did notice there was a tight bit to get it moving for a start but once it moves, it comes off :)

Me to, I've had mine 2 and a bit years, never had an issue filling up as the dealer when doing the walk around when I collected it went through the motions with me.... BUT, today as usual the flap opened no issue, but I could not twist the filler cap off, tried locking and unlocking, tried the press once saw the green light to refuel still didn't work tried again one press still no luck. Anybody got any ideas ? @Alb I'll give standing on one leg and scratching my left ear a try too.
Carry a small 8 inch shifting spanner in your glovebox and the extra leverage with that on the cap it comes straight off :)

It’s incredible that an almost $50k car has such a terrible refuelling system

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom