Car being sent back to MG…

rigby44

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Our MG4 is being sent back to MG, as the dealer cannot fix the window seal/air/water issues and there is a loud audible ‘knocking’ from the dashboard when driving.

I’m fearful I know the answer, but has anyone had their car sent back to MG for a fix - and if so how was the experience?

Anyone guys? Anyone had to send their car back to MG yet?

Our MG4 is being sent back to MG, as the dealer cannot fix the window seal/air/water issues and there is a loud audible ‘knocking’ from the dashboard when driving.

I’m fearful I know the answer, but has anyone had their car sent back to MG for a fix - and if so how was the experience?
To answer your question, I have plenty of experience.
My first experience was to return to the dealership I bought the car from, only to find they had no 'service & parts' department (as the sign in the building stated) and I had to go to Volvo next door. Volvo contacted MG CS who refused the work.
Then I found a dealership someone recommended to me, but 70 miles away. However the difference was chalk & cheese, they are superb pulled out all the stops to help.
So, it depends on the dealership, it's hit and miss to a degree, bar recommendations. The issue is MG sells the car to a dealership and hence tries to wash their hands of them, bar any large warranty claims.
You could try another dealership if the first cannot fix it. But if it remains an issue they cannot fix then look into your 'Consumer rights act 2015' and consider rejecting the car.

To answer your question, I have plenty of experience.
My first experience was to return to the dealership I bought the car from, only to find they had no 'service & parts' department (as the sign in the building stated) and I had to go to Volvo next door. Volvo contacted MG CS who refused the work.
Then I found a dealership someone recommended to me, but 70 miles away. However the difference was chalk & cheese, they are superb pulled out all the stops to help.
So, it depends on the dealership, it's hit and miss to a degree, bar recommendations. The issue is MG sells the car to a dealership and hence tries to wash their hands of them, bar any large warranty claims.
You could try another dealership if the first cannot fix it. But if it remains an issue they cannot fix then look into your 'Consumer rights act 2015' and consider rejecting the car.
Thanks,

The dealership we bought from is organising the return to MG, and the MG garage isnt that far - 15 miles away.

Fingers crossed they are one of the better ones.

When you say “returning it to MG”, what do you mean?
There’s no scenario where the car can be returned to MG.
MG don’t have a ‘master workshop’ that dealers can send faulty cars to.
And if you mean rejection of the car, it doesn’t get returned to MG in that scenario either.
The dealer owns the car, if it’s rejected it just becomes part of their stock again.

When you say “returning it to MG”, what do you mean?
There’s no scenario where the car can be returned to MG.
MG don’t have a ‘master workshop’ that dealers can send faulty cars to.
And if you mean rejection of the car, it doesn’t get returned to MG in that scenario either.
The dealer owns the car, if it’s rejected it just becomes part of their stock again.
Probably to the SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre (SMTC). Longbridge.
Which is at risk of being down scaled or shuttered.

It says that’s a design centre, no suggestion any faulty cars get sent there.
When my car was stumping the dealer and MG, the most they did was send a ‘master technician’ to drive it, there was never any hint of it going anywhere other or farther than the dealer.

That's an old story from 2019, it still exists and they have been working on the MG4 and Cyberster.

Perhaps they do occasionally investigate some specific issues for MG China, but I haven't heard of this happening before.

From reading post #4 I get the impression @rigby44 bought his car from a non-MG dealer and it's being taken to a MG authorised dealer to be looked at.
Yes, thank you for clarifying what I assumed went without saying.

Bought from a dealership, they’ve had a look at the issues but cant/dont want to mess with it. Due to go back to the local MG garage, hopefully next week.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back