Car charging

SteveO27

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Is it safe to remain in the car while the car is charging. ..

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no issues with staying in the car while it is charging. You can even turn it on and have the aircon running. Make sure you turn it all the way on (foot on brake pedal) as just having it powered on the 12V battery can quickly drain it and make starting the car a nightmare.

To begin charging ensure the car is powered off. Once charging has started you can start the car up. It won’t let you drive off while charging.

No need to have foot on brake, just press the start button twice so it goes green. You will see the 12v battery gauge register over 14v and get a warning that charger connected. Press OK and carry on. Infotainment/heating/AC etc. will stay on until turned off.

Is it possible to leave the aircon on and close/lock the doors? Just thinking of hot days at the supermarket.

As others have said, yes safe to charge while in the car.

I normally use the hook up and start of charge to go and get a coffee if at a rapid charger and of course if a shop is near by.
Once back at the car if I need the air con or heat on or perhaps the radio just press the start button twice without your foot on the brake.

As for apps, not on this generation of MG5 in the UK :(

If you sit in the car without it plugged into a charger and want the aircon on, or even the radio, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you fully power up the car into the READY state. Failure to do so will quickly drain the 12V battery and require the AA.

If you sit in the car without it plugged into a charger and want the aircon on, or even the radio, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you fully power up the car into the READY state. Failure to do so will quickly drain the 12V battery and require the AA.
Dave. You mentioned an app in an earlier response. Is there an app for mg5. I'm a newbie.

Dave. You mentioned an app in an earlier response. Is there an app for mg5. I'm a newbie.
Sorry - I get confused at my old age :-(

The new ZS EV has the App. Neither the SR or the LR versions of the MG5 in the UK have App support.

No app required - just a bit of magic

From where I was sat
To where power was at
Was three miles away
Going downwards I’d say
So I set off downhill
And let the car take its fill
Then after that CCS fix
The GOM declared one ninety six
I drove back to the start
Where it gladdened my heart
With a reading of one ninety seven
This surely was motoring heaven

As a Scotsman I couldn’t resist
Driving back through the gathering mist
To see what this regen could do
Could it make one plus one more than two?
With eco and three I descend once more
Then back to the top for the score
Excitement was building, I hardly could wait
The number before me? One ninety eight

Now therein lies conundrum
Of massive proportions and then some
Is this MG much more than it seems
Or that hill belong more in my dreams ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel