Car ignores charge limit

Ok, I have tried rebooting the infotainment and adjusting the limit directly in the car.

It (80% limit) was ignored again last night. Car charged up fully in the charge window - this time that was from 47% to 89% (I only have a 4 hour schedule so it didn't have time to get to 100%).

Any other ideas before I contact the dealer again?
Have you tried setting the charge limit with the charge schedule on and off (the schedule on the car) to see if this changes anything for you?

I have the same issue with my Trophy LR since they updated the BCM back in November. It's actually in the shop again now for an issue where the charge cable won't unplug sometimes and they've noted that the limiter's not working. I've been told that they've done a full SW update now, so it's possible that they need to now wait for MG do provide a new update.

Yes I know that! I left myself open to that really though...

What I meant was they'd hardly leave me with a charge socket with all the pins and then switch in a single phase CCU - assuming I had been switched over to a SR setup I would get the whole bundle including port.

Now yes, whether it is 3-phase or single phase makes no difference to whether it stops at a charge limit, that's down the battery chemistry so is almost certainly just software which can be updated.
Well I suppose if they did put the wrong CCU in with the correct charge port it wouldn’t charge at 11kW. You could try charging on a 3 phase charger and see what happens! Worst case it would fry something and you’d get a fast diagnosis!!

do you plug in the charger when the car is switched on? Or do you plug it in after you have already locked the car or switched it off?

I have the same issue with my Trophy LR since they updated the BCM back in November. It's actually in the shop again now for an issue where the charge cable won't unplug sometimes and they've noted that the limiter's not working. I've been told that they've done a full SW update now, so it's possible that they need to now wait for MG do provide a new update.
Thanks. I will go back to them and see what they say. I have had a lot of updates so I might have the latest or might not.

do you plug in the charger when the car is switched on? Or do you plug it in after you have already locked the car or switched it off?
I do what I have always done - jump out of the car, plug it in and then lock the car to switch it off. With a deferred charge schedule on my Zappi so it actually charges hours later overnight.

Well I suppose if they did put the wrong CCU in with the correct charge port it wouldn’t charge at 11kW. You could try charging on a 3 phase charger and see what happens! Worst case it would fry something and you’d get a fast diagnosis!!
That is true, I will see if I can find one near me to test on.

I do what I have always done - jump out of the car, plug it in and then lock the car to switch it off. With a deferred charge schedule on my Zappi so it actually charges hours later overnight.
And the limit is only set through the app and matches what you see in the car?
Or if you set it in both, it’s set to the same percentage?
Maybe the hardware was replaced but the software/firmware needs upgrading too

I am not using the car schedule, the schedule is set up on my Zappi.
My bad I didn’t read this.
So you have a schedule on the zappi. No schedule on the car. But you have a limit % on the car.
Is it possible that the zappi is charging to the % limit, car disconnects from charger, and then the zappi starts charging again? Is there some sort of mode on the Zappi that charges outside of the schedule time based on other factors?

And the limit is only set through the app and matches what you see in the car?
Or if you set it in both, it’s set to the same percentage?
Maybe the hardware was replaced but the software/firmware needs upgrading too
I have tried via the app - it is reflected in the car UI. I have tried via the car - it is reflected in the app UI. I have tried setting different limits, it is always ignored.

Fairly sure this is software, the car just needs to end the charge at the right point.

My bad I didn’t read this.
So you have a schedule on the zappi. No schedule on the car. But you have a limit % on the car.
Is it possible that the zappi is charging to the % limit, car disconnects from charger, and then the zappi starts charging again? Is there some sort of mode on the Zappi that charges outside of the schedule time based on other factors?
I don't think so - this always worked in the past and I haven't touched the Zappi nor done an update on it. It has always worked as expected.

The Zappi shows a continual charge without a break in the logs.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I was once told. If you have a charger that is not fully integrated it just acts like a charger so vehicle settings will apply. If you have a charger which talks to the vehicle API then the charger will likely disregard all the settings around charging.

MY OHME is not integrated with the vehicle API it only "charges" so my vehicle settings don't get ignored, although I have tested and onboard vehicle charge schedule must be off in order for it to listen to the charge % limit set on the vehicle, otherwise it ignores and continues to 100%.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back