Car Rebooting whilst driving

dickmorrell

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Btw has anyone had the issue with the MG5 rebooting itself .?

I was doing 65mph on the M4 the other week when car rebooting came up on the screen and the cars systems entirely rebooted.

It was a brown trouser moment

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds worrying. Will be the screen rebooting, not the car. Assume your driver Screen remained active? Just the screen in the centre console rebooted?

Last edited:
Much as Dave I've had the centre console reboot but not the whole car... that would be something else?

Bad connection to something. I'd get the dealer to check it out.

Btw has anyone had the issue with the MG5 rebooting itself .?

I was doing 65mph on the M4 the other week when car rebooting came up on the screen and the cars systems entirely rebooted.

It was a brown trouser moment
OMG ... that's beyond brown trouser!. That's entering shart territory. ( no I did'nt mean shark )

This happened to me today too. It was a bit weird at first as the first indication something was amiss came when the music I was playing started to stutter (like when a CD had a scratch on it and would get 'stuck'). I thought it was bcause Spotify had lost its connection, and when I tried to pause playback the entire entertainment console rebooted.

However, the reboot was the normal time it takes when the car starts and Spotify resumed playback where it had left off, and Google Maps resumed navigation.

So all told, it was a distraction for me but nothing bad happened.

That doesn't sound like the scenario described by the OP.
Mind you, he hasn't been back since he posted :confused:

Mine rebooted Thursday on my drive home from having the windscreen replaced (new record for me, 250 miles on the clock).

I put it down to the windscreen tech start stopping the car to shunt it around the workshop etc, with no care for waiting for the ready message. I know he was start stopping etc as was sat in the waiting room working on my laptop that was tethered to my mobile by Bluetooth. Each time the car started it switched my call to the car and I had to quickly switch it back.

Definitely just the infotainment system rebooting. Not the whole car as implied by the OP.

I agree, if the car's systems rebooted the car would come to a screeching halt as the parking brake would engage.

I drive a MG5 SR and I've had the infotainment system reboot twice on me but not since the software update for the brake light upgrade. Don't know if this is a coincidence or not.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom