Car Theft

securespark

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Does anyone know anyone who has had their 4 stolen?

Not a 4, but a resident near me had a car with keyless nicked and there was talk of "should have used a Faraday box".

Do they really work and if so, which would you buy?

As above, there's plenty on Amazon - just pick one/two with a lot of high ratings and few low ratings. Also read the reviews before choosing 👍

We keep our keys in Faraday pouches. However, this morning as an experiment I tried unlocking the car (with the key out of the pouch) when I was in the hall and the car was in the garage. The car unlocked. Would it have been possible for someone sitting in a car nearby to have picked that signal up and therefore clone a key, thus limiting the effectiveness of the pouch? What's the range of the key signal?
Our local police are advising the use of steering wheel locks. Remember them? Can anyone advise of a suitable make?

Easy to check pouch / tin, put the key in it and go to open the doors, if they unlock you device protection isnt working.

Loads on Amazon and they will all work.

I don't know if this test will work.
Thieves use repeaters to relay the signal further the radius of the standard omitted signal.
If you could park the car right up against the front door (or nearest outside area to where the key usually sits) then test it I think that would work.

I don't know if this test will work.
Thieves use repeaters to relay the signal further the radius of the standard omitted signal.
If you could park the car right up against the front door (or nearest outside area to where the key usually sits) then test it I think that would work.
Why risk it for the sake of a few quid, just put the key in a Faraday pouch.
To test the pouch put the key in, and try to open the car with the pouch right next to the car.

The easy test is to put the key in the Faraday pouch and walk right up to your car with the Faraday pouch on you. The car button should then not unlock your car until you remove the key from the Faraday pouch.

EDIT: beaten to it by Kithmo above !!

If you watch all the Youtube keyless thefts one thief stands right next to your front door / window and the other right next to your car drivers door. So keep your keys in a Faraday pouch to stop the first thief picking up any signal.

Modern VAG car keys now stop emitting the signal after being stationary for around 5 minutes. Not sure if MG keys incorporate this feature ?

Last edited:
My old 2016 Prius keys could be deactivated with a combination of key presses on the fob, I deactivated the spare and a bit belt and braces, still put it in a faraday pouch. The everyday key was put in another pouch.
Don't forget to protect your spare key as well.

My questions are concerned with the key once it is removed from the Faraday pouch.
If you press the key fob buttons how far does the signal reach? I can unlock the car from at least 10m, Could the signal be picked up by suitable equipment some distance away?
However, if you use the key 'passively' to open the boot, or car using the buttons on the handle, the range is only about 1.5m (as stated in the manual).
Does this mean I should avoid pressing the key fob buttons and only use the door buttons to lock and unlock the car?
Sleeping key fobs are only useful when the key is stored in the house.

Maybe this is is a stupid question and I haven't thought it through, but isn't the keyless function separate from the push button locking function?

Or do they both use the same tech?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel