Car Theft

Will a Disklock work in a 4 with the wheel shape being unusual? I’m in the market for a steering lock, would prefer a Disklock, wondering if anyone has one?
I've got the Stoplock Pro for mine. It needs to be fitted pointing downwards otherwise the weight pushes on the horn.

1707459613918.png

Does it stop against the shelf?

If yes, what if the steering wheel is moved to maximum extension (i.e. closest to the driver)? Does it still stop against it?

Usually such locks are fitted the other way so that the stop against the windscreen?

However, just the sight of it will probably persuade thieves to move to an easier target.

Does it stop against the shelf?

If yes, what if the steering wheel is moved to maximum extension (i.e. closest to the driver)? Does it still stop against it?

Usually such locks are fitted the other way so that the stop against the windscreen?

However, just the sight of it will probably persuade thieves to move to an easier target.

The picture shows the driver's seat all the way back and the steering wheel nearly at its maximum extension and as I said, if the lock was the other way the weight of it pushes against the centre of the steering wheel setting the horn off.

It stops against the driver's legs turning left and hits the windscreen turning right making it impossible to steer.

And as you say it will hopefully make the opportunist go elsewhere for an easier target.

I've got the Stoplock Pro for mine. It needs to be fitted pointing downwards otherwise the weight pushes on the horn.

View attachment 23802
It's another world. We don't go in for such devices here, but maybe we should when visiting other parts of the country.

Last night I forgot to lock the car at all and of course it was fine this morning.

It helps being on a steep hill, but the low crime rate is welcome.

Does anyone know anyone who has had their 4 stolen?

Not a 4, but a resident near me had a car with keyless nicked and there was talk of "should have used a Faraday box".

Do they really work and if so, which would you buy?
From another forum: -

There are three different attack approaches being used and all the EGMP based cars (Ioniq5/6, Kia EV6 and Genesis GV60) are currently susceptible to all three approaches.

Relay Attack
The common relay attack (which is widely publicised). One device takes the signal from your key fob amplifies it and send it to another close to your car. The car simply sees the correct expected signal and opens and starts.
This can me mitigated by keeping your keys in a container that does not allow wireless signals to leak out - a Faraday box.

Key Cloning
This approach requires access to your key to simply make a digital copy, which for all intents and purposes is then identical to the original.
Careful who you give your key to.

Key Emulator
A device is placed close to the car to receive the car's signal. The device then takes between 10 and 120 second approximately to find the correct signal to unlock the car and this can then be saved for later use.
A secondary authentication system is needed to prevent the car from starting, but if this is hooked into Bluelink that can be disabled once access to the car has been gained. There's not much apart form physical krooklock type approach that can help here.”

Yep you need a faraday pouch (prevents signal transmission) but you ALSO need to address keyless entry signal polling from the VEHICLE - number of ways to deal with this - cheapest and easiest is to turn off keyless entry.

Hope that helps!!

Does the MG4 even have an option to turn off keyless entry? (I don't remember seeing one ... unless that's a Trophy-only option).

I find that living in an unbelievably low crime rate area, whilst being 1 mile away from the main road.
(Which is in fact a B road)

Having a movement detection alarm at the only entrance to my property.

3 CCTV cameras, 5 Blink Security Cameras, a Scoped PCP 10 shot air rifle, and an 'Attack Wife' if all else fails, is security enough! 🤣

Screenshot_20240416_151043_CTRONICS.jpg

Last edited:
Does the MG4 even have an option to turn off keyless entry? (I don't remember seeing one ... unless that's a Trophy-only option).
I'm getting confused. Isn't 'keyless' entry using Bluetooth though the iSmart app? This doesn't need to be activated although I don't know if the car can be fooled into accepting a bluetooth signal from another source.
Otherwise, entry needs a key, which can be cloned as above. The option is to set a requirement that the physical key should be used. However, this is not an available option and the keyhole is hidden.

I've always understood keyless to mean you don't have to use the key physically.

I.E. You don't have to press any buttons on the key fob to unlock or start the car.

Obviously it needs to be about your person, but you don't physically need to touch it making your car keyless.

You can be keyless if you have set your phone up as a digital key, but you will still need your phone.

Technically you are now truly Key Fob Less!!🤣

I leave it inactivated normally as it just needs the account password should I need it.

However I can always open the car via wireless from the main screen - this just requires the pin.

So I assumed the activation is only required to drive the car without the key. Something I don't fully trust, e.g. if you stop the car out of mobile phone range will it always still work?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back