Car won’t shut down

kmcke25

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi

Has anyone had an issue with the car not shutting down, the only way it shuts down is once your out the car using the key

When stopped and press the brake button the car stays in neutral and gives a warning when you open the door of car is still in ready mode

Also the turn off car in the menu is greyed out so can’t use that
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I’ve tried the p dial and used it since I got the car in February now even when pressed the car stays in ready mode and neutral even on the display in front of the wheel it says N

Pressing the P engages the electric parking brake but the car remains on. You either have to get out & lock the car to turn it off or press the car icon, select safety & turn the car off. Then you can get out without locking the car but it is completely off. This is how I leave mine in my locked garage. If these procedures do not work it is a fault so you need to take it back to the dealer

When you stop are you putting the car into neutral and , if so, are you holding the car on the brake? You do not have to put the car into neutral if autohold is working, try the p button when in drive with autohold active.

EDIT: I think the lack of the parking brake is the issue not the shutting down. As leonkernan says it looks like you p button is faulty though why this should affect the lever operation is confusing. Have you pulled up the lever and held it there for a few seconds?

Last edited:
Dumb question but the second key isn't still in the car somewhere? I've had this numerous times with my wife leaving something tucked in the car somewhere and then leaving it when she's taken "everything" (Oh really) out and I've been unable to lock several cars. She never learns

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel