Carlink air android pairing help required

DerekH

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Wondering if anyone has tried connecting an Android phone to a carlink air wireless adapter. Just received mine and I am technically competent but cannot seem to pair phone to carlink air. Any input appreciated. Indicates it is paired but goes from pairing blue flashing light back to red and MG4 android auto doesn't see it.

I've not heard of a Carlink Air, but ... try removing the car from your phone's Bluetooth history (and likewise the phone from your car), and then retry pairing with the Carlink?

It's the carlink 2air. I Think the newer carlink 5. Ta will try unpairing everything. It's odd. I seem to be able to pair my phone to the carlink adapter. After pairing adapter goes red light which I think means waiting for car android auto. I can tap the cars infotainment screen on Android auto and it keeps asking to plug in phone. I can plug phone in direct as I have been doing using either the cable I have been using or the one that comes with the adapter. The car immediately detects it and launches Android auto so I know cables are good. Car just doesn't recognise the adapter when it's plugged in using either of the cables. Have also disconnected the phones Bluetooth connection to the car but not completely removed them from phone and car but will give that a go. Thanks

Android auto needs both Bluetooth and WiFi. Check your phone is wifi connected to the carlinkit dongle as well as Bluetooth if you have not already done so.

Also update firmware if available.

I send mines back due to connection issues and bought

Which has worked seamlessly for me

Last edited:
Android auto needs both Bluetooth and WiFi. Check your phone is wifi connected to the carlinkit dongle as well as Bluetooth if you have not already done so.

Also update firmware if available.

I send mines back due to connection issues and bought

Which has worked seamlessly for me
thanks, I am starting to suspect it's not compatible with the cars wired Android auto... your comment re Bluetooth and wireless is interesting as I have just totally removed all Bluetooth info from phone re car and car re phone. I then plug phone into car usb as usual and immediately it connects to Android auto and works fine. So no Bluetooth is required which makes sense as it is a wired connection between phone and car. You would think that if the adapter is then connected to the same cable it should also if taking Android auto via the cable to the car simply work but car does not recognise it. The Bluetooth from phone to adapter I would think is then required to allow phone to communicate to the adapter...

Yip AA wireless is Bluetooth for voice and needs wifi for media.

"What is the difference between Android Auto wired and wireless?

In summary, if your car supports only the wired mode, the cable connection is for music and apps, and Bluetooth is for calls. In the case of Android Auto wireless, the Bluetooth connection handles the voice calls, while the music and apps rely on Wi-Fi Direct"

I have stopped attempting to get this to work. Lodged a call to their support. Everything works fine when phone is wired as expected. Phone is paired to the adapter as required but the car does not recognise the adapter via AA just says you need to plug in a phone. I have uninstaller and reinstalled AA, tried ensuring phone is connected via WiFi to adapter which shouldn't be required anyway and still no go. Adapter stays with red light which indicates powered up and waiting for AA connection 😞

What I didn't like about their support was they tried to get me to go into the phones android developer mode and change settings. I told them in no uncertain terms if it wasn't plug and play with some basic configuration (wifi, bluetooth, clear cache, firmware update, check android version etc.) then it was going back...and that's what happened.

Hope they can sort it for you as other MG owners have no issues with carlinkit.

Good luck

Yeh thanks, I am already digging into the background app via WiFi but this thing is looking more like junk the more I try getting it to work. Even their tutorials for error resolution shows how many issues can occur with it. My guess is it isn't compatible with the mg4 wireless Android. This is their latest carlinkit 2air. I just hope they refund

I had similar issues with Carlink 4. It was with iPhone/ CarPlay but worth a shot. I went into the WiFi app and there was a setting to delay starting. I set this to 30 seconds and have had no problems since.

Thanks. I am in the app now and forced it to Android auto and will see if that works. Then I will try adding a delay as you suggested. Seems a very flaky interface if you need to change these sorts of settings tbh.
I cannot figure out how to do a firmware update either.. connected to carlink via WiFi and no internet so trying get firmware it says disconnect WiFi and use data..? Then you disconnect from the app so makes no sense.

Last edited:
I had similar issues with Carlink 4. It was with iPhone/ CarPlay but worth a shot. I went into the WiFi app and there was a setting to delay starting. I set this to 30 seconds and have had no problems since.
thanks for suggestion Ian, but still no go. The car just doesn't see anything plugged in. Phone plugged in direct works just fine but car doesnt recognise this thing.

The cheap Chinese wireless adapter I bought works really well and has been seamless so far. £28 and it's a little box I've stuck underneath the panel so you can't even see it.

The cheap Chinese wireless adapter I bought works really well and has been seamless so far. £28 and it's a little box I've stuck underneath the panel so you can't even see it.
Cheers and you have tried it on an MG4 and using Android auto via an Android phone? I have got this one to work via Apple carplay but Android auto refuses to connect. Was Even sent a special firmware upgrade for it direct from the supplier..

Cheers and you have tried it on an MG4 and using Android auto via an Android phone? I have got this one to work via Apple carplay but Android auto refuses to connect. Was Even sent a special firmware upgrade for it direct from the supplier..
Yeah it's ony week old trophy LR and it took less than 5 minutes to pair and has just worked. The crappy mg software sometimes goes from AA screen to black them back to AA. Apart from that it's been spot on. I had a 2021 VW T-Roc before thos that was wireless AA so I'm so used to it being like that I just have my phone ony pocket. I knew beforehand that the MG4 was only wired AA so I bought on advance.

Yeah it's ony week old trophy LR and it took less than 5 minutes to pair and has just worked. The crappy mg software sometimes goes from AA screen to black them back to AA. Apart from that it's been spot on. I had a 2021 VW T-Roc before thos that was wireless AA so I'm so used to it being like that I just have my phone ony pocket. I knew beforehand that the MG4 was only wired AA so I bought on advance.
Cheers its good to know something works. I may have to return this one. Can you send me a link to yours please.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231017_120607_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20231017_120607_Settings.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 79
Thats it on my bt list as smartbox
Thanks for that. I have given up on this one. I suspect an issue with Android phone connection to the carlinkit 2air box. Now tried 2 different android phones an s23 and an a52 and 2 different cars, my MG and a hyundai N. Carplay works and connected to the car first time. but seems the Bluetooth, wireless from Android phones to the box just doesn't work so the car never gets the connection from the box. Going to have to return it to seller in China ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back