Carlink air android pairing help required

Thanks for that. I have given up on this one. I suspect an issue with Android phone connection to the carlinkit 2air box. Now tried 2 different android phones an s23 and an a52 and 2 different cars, my MG and a hyundai N. Carplay works and connected to the car first time. but seems the Bluetooth, wireless from Android phones to the box just doesn't work so the car never gets the connection from the box. Going to have to return it to seller in China ;)
The only bug I seem to get is I set my maps to dark mode and it just does what it wants lol easy enough to go into android auto and click it back to dark. Only happens now and again tho. But for £30 what do you expect and if it keeps happening then I'll just buy the more expensive one. But so far I'm very happy with it.

I have carlink and it works perfectly other than it can take a few minutes to come to life. Can someone tell me what the usb socket at the other end (next to the lights) is for?
Thanks

Sorry but I don't understand where you mean. There are only 3 USB sockets inside the car ... USB A (for AA/CP) and USB C (under the shelf, either side of the 12V socket), and a USB A in front of the rear seats.

The USB C socket supports a pendrive loaded with music so will work with the USB music player in the car. (It may also support video files - I'm not sure).

Looking online it seems that socket you mention is also for plugging in a pendrive with music etc. (Example below - your device may be different).

1697888179276.png

I had a carlink mini which was working fine in my previous Jag F-Pace but would not work whatever I did in the MG4. It would not factory reset properly and would not forget it was connect to the Jag, so sent back to Amazon for a refund, amazing servcice from amazon as it was 2 years old! I looked on Amazon for the MOST reliable review ratings of units and went for one with the extras of Netflix and Youube etc as well as wireless carplay. I got this one which does work ok but often have to unplug / plug back in as it starts up too quickly compared to the car - (don’t think links are allowed, but I have no association to the seller, so no financial gain involved so may be allowed) amzn(dot)to/3tyHQwH Replace (dot) with a .

Last edited:
Yip AA wireless is Bluetooth for voice and needs wifi for media.

"What is the difference between Android Auto wired and wireless?

In summary, if your car supports only the wired mode, the cable connection is for music and apps, and Bluetooth is for calls. In the case of Android Auto wireless, the Bluetooth connection handles the voice calls, while the music and apps rely on Wi-Fi Direct"
Music can also be played thro blu tooth without cable on my MG4 trophy 🏆 👌

So can mine but not on Android Auto...it needs to split them off. If I don't use AA I can play music quite happily via Bluetooth but lose other functions.

the brigg
Music can also be played thro blu tooth without cable on my MG4 trophy 🏆 👌

So can mine but not on Android Auto...it needs to split them off. If I don't use AA I can play music quite happily via Bluetooth but lose other functions.

Do you see Music on you android auto menu?

Can I ask what the point is if you don't have the other functions still available. Unless something has changed AA splits voice and media and therefore to play music on Bluetooth surely something has to give way?

I really don't understand this splitting. On my car I can play music either on wireless AA or Bluetooth. I was wondering why you can't. So I asked if you have Music on your android Auto menu.

I can too is the point. AA doesn't have the bandwidth to share voice and media over bluetooth hence it separates voice to bluetooth and music to wifi. If you play music over the bluetooth link then surely the voice aspects are lost...calls, messages etc,

"With a wireless Android Auto adapter, there’s another layer added in. Your phone will pair to the dongle, whether that’s AAWireless, Motorola MA1, or another. After being paired, the dongle will start up the Android Auto system. It then will pair your phone to your car’s Bluetooth to handle phone calls and then disconnect Bluetooth from the dongle"

Last edited:
I have settled on AA. I only use AA music as the albums are easier to find. After years of Tomtom I find Google maps work well, Phone calls, WhatsApp messages and other features are good too so I generally don't use all the MG features.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back