Wireless Carplay with Carlinkit

Ahh. Interesting. Thanks for that.

On my current car, if I’m driving and get a text message or something, it pops up a notification at the bottom of the screen, and I can click the button to get Siri to read it out (same for WhatsApp). How would you do this without any buttons? Surely the touchscreen is disabled while the car is moving?
Hi, the touchscreen is fine while driving on every car I know, I believe you are thinking of features like TV and similar which become disabled when moving, we don't have such luxury items.

I tried five different cables, two of them OEM but only one worked at all and that kept dropping out, necessitating switching the car off to reset the connection, so I bit the bullet and bought the carlinkit4 which worked straight out of the box with no dropout. Happy bunny! For information my car is a pre-facelift MG5 and my phone is an iPhone 11. I haven’t tried the android version yet but my guess is it will be as good.

Am I missing something, or does this device just offer the simplicity of a wireless connection between my Android phone and my MG4 Android Auto? I don't see any other benefit.

Exactly that. And wireless charging (if you have the Trophy) probably doesn't add more than is being used (when you use Wireless AA) so on a along journey you'd need to plug in anyway.

As I have the SE then I have to plug in regardless (if I want to use AA).

Hi, I have the Carlink 4.0 iOS & Android. I only use iPhone and works perfect for over 2 months now. Ali Express Carlink kit 4.0 presently at £37.55 + Tax = £45 if in no hurry.
Make sure you pick the correct one. Its the one on the left of the icons.
Amazon £90

So I bit the bullet and bought a Carlinkit 4.0 the other day from Amazon.

£87 and two days later and it has arrived this morning. I thought I'd throw up a quick post about it in case anyone else is tempted by the purchase and wants some more info. The MG4 isn't on the compatibility list for the device (MG as a manufacturer isn't even listed) so I was a little worried that it wasn't going to work, hence the purchase from Amazon for easy returnability should it not go to plan.

The unit supports wireless carplay and android auto (although I dont currently have an android phone to test with). I also own another car (BMW) which has wireless carplay and android auto built into the car, so we'll see how it compares to a manufacturer-provided solution.

So firstly, it came pretty well packaged but it's much, much smaller than I thought it would be:

View attachment 12015

View attachment 12016
(banana for scale)

Fitting it to the car was very simple. The unit comes with both a USB type-c to type-c cable, and a type-a to type-c cable in the box. The unit itself has a type-c port on one end (for connecting to the car) and a full-size type-a port on the other (apparently you can use this to do wired carplay/android auto through the unit - though why is beyond me).

Upon plugging it into the car, the MG4 immediately recognized that there was a carplay device plugged into the USB port and connected to it. The device seems to emulate apple carplay to the car and will pop up its own pairing screen if there isn't a device connected to it. This is actually quite neat; the car will always think that there is an apple device plugged in as long as the unit is plugged in (the "carplay" widget on the home screen is always available) so even if there isn't a phone connected to the carlinkit, you can easily get into its settings by launching "carplay" from the car.

It also seems like this holds true for android auto - it seems that the unit always presents itself as a carplay device to the car, and then once you pair an android device the carlinkit handles android auto directly, still showing as a carplay device to the car - although I've not been able to confirm this as of yet as I don't currently have access to an android phone. If this is the case, this probably means you can use the unit to do android auto on a car that only supports carplay (assuming such a thing exists) - although not really relevant here.

Pairing my phone was easy, fire up the unit and it provides you with a bluetooth network to join, once joined the phone seemed to auto-connect to the wifi component and carplay popped right up:

View attachment 12017
(taken from the phone that was connected)

It was also very easy to hide the unit under the center pedestal with some sticky-back velcro, making it essentially invisible from the seated positions in the car:

View attachment 12018

So far, I haven't used this in anger, just in the driveway this morning. I do have a ~200mi trip in the car on Sunday morning during which I'll be using this for music and navigation, so I'll see how it fares on a longer trip and I'll post another update on Sunday night or Monday morning.

One thing to be aware of is that there is a slight delay in the unit powering up and getting connected once you start the car - the unit itself takes 10-15 seconds to boot and then the phone takes another 10 seconds or so to get connected and for the unit to end up fully working, so maybe 20-25 seconds from sitting in the car to being at the carplay home screen. I don't really see this as a huge deal but it's definitely a lot slower in getting started up than the built-in system in the BMW, which is usually connected by the time I get my seatbelt on.

All-in-all though it seems to be a neat little device and it was easy to setup. It is, however, it's the best part of £90 and that is a bit pricey for something that I feel should have been included with the car to be honest. I don't regret the purchase (assuming all goes well on Sunday) but it seems that if someone can make a seperate standalone box that both works with android and apple phones wirelessly, and then emulates a carplay device to a car for "just" £90, then surely it shouldn't have really been a big deal for a car manufacturer to include it with the car, especially considering the car already has wifi hotspot capability anyway.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions let me know.
Hi l hope you’re trip went well, l have brought the same as you, it doesn’t connect to my iPhone with out me going into Bluetooth and actually connecting, l am wondering if it is because l have a nextbase dashcam connected to Bluetooth, would very much appreciate your thoughts
Mick

Amazon £90
So I bit the bullet and bought a Carlinkit 4.0 the other day from Amazon.

£87 and two days later and it has arrived this morning. I thought I'd throw up a quick post about it in case anyone else is tempted by the purchase and wants some more info. The MG4 isn't on the compatibility list for the device (MG as a manufacturer isn't even listed) so I was a little worried that it wasn't going to work, hence the purchase from Amazon for easy returnability should it not go to plan.

The unit supports wireless carplay and android auto (although I dont currently have an android phone to test with). I also own another car (BMW) which has wireless carplay and android auto built into the car, so we'll see how it compares to a manufacturer-provided solution.

So firstly, it came pretty well packaged but it's much, much smaller than I thought it would be:

View attachment 12015

View attachment 12016
(banana for scale)

Fitting it to the car was very simple. The unit comes with both a USB type-c to type-c cable, and a type-a to type-c cable in the box. The unit itself has a type-c port on one end (for connecting to the car) and a full-size type-a port on the other (apparently you can use this to do wired carplay/android auto through the unit - though why is beyond me).

Upon plugging it into the car, the MG4 immediately recognized that there was a carplay device plugged into the USB port and connected to it. The device seems to emulate apple carplay to the car and will pop up its own pairing screen if there isn't a device connected to it. This is actually quite neat; the car will always think that there is an apple device plugged in as long as the unit is plugged in (the "carplay" widget on the home screen is always available) so even if there isn't a phone connected to the carlinkit, you can easily get into its settings by launching "carplay" from the car.

It also seems like this holds true for android auto - it seems that the unit always presents itself as a carplay device to the car, and then once you pair an android device the carlinkit handles android auto directly, still showing as a carplay device to the car - although I've not been able to confirm this as of yet as I don't currently have access to an android phone. If this is the case, this probably means you can use the unit to do android auto on a car that only supports carplay (assuming such a thing exists) - although not really relevant here.

Pairing my phone was easy, fire up the unit and it provides you with a bluetooth network to join, once joined the phone seemed to auto-connect to the wifi component and carplay popped right up:

View attachment 12017
(taken from the phone that was connected)

It was also very easy to hide the unit under the center pedestal with some sticky-back velcro, making it essentially invisible from the seated positions in the car:

View attachment 12018

So far, I haven't used this in anger, just in the driveway this morning. I do have a ~200mi trip in the car on Sunday morning during which I'll be using this for music and navigation, so I'll see how it fares on a longer trip and I'll post another update on Sunday night or Monday morning.

One thing to be aware of is that there is a slight delay in the unit powering up and getting connected once you start the car - the unit itself takes 10-15 seconds to boot and then the phone takes another 10 seconds or so to get connected and for the unit to end up fully working, so maybe 20-25 seconds from sitting in the car to being at the carplay home screen. I don't really see this as a huge deal but it's definitely a lot slower in getting started up than the built-in system in the BMW, which is usually connected by the time I get my seatbelt on.

All-in-all though it seems to be a neat little device and it was easy to setup. It is, however, it's the best part of £90 and that is a bit pricey for something that I feel should have been included with the car to be honest. I don't regret the purchase (assuming all goes well on Sunday) but it seems that if someone can make a seperate standalone box that both works with android and apple phones wirelessly, and then emulates a carplay device to a car for "just" £90, then surely it shouldn't have really been a big deal for a car manufacturer to include it with the car, especially considering the car already has wifi hotspot capability anyway.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions let me know.
Also it doesn’t come on screen till I have gone about 2 miles

Do you have anything else connected, like a dash cam
In my case, my dashcam is plugged into a 12V adaptor, not directly into the car.
I've had cases previously where plugging into the car made the radio think the camera was a USB music directory and try to play the videos instead of just powering the camera.

Hi, I have bought and returned the Carlinkit 5.0. Just didn't work, too many times (>80%) it wouldn't connect. I have tried everything and now returned it.
What is the best option to look next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have bought and returned the Carlinkit 5.0. Just didn't work, too many times (>80%) it wouldmn;t connect. I have tried everything and now returned it.
Mine didn’t work very well either with my iPhone. In the end, i bought an official Apple lead (for c.£15), and now it works perfectly. BUT, you have to start the car systems first, THEN plug in your phone. Works every time - of course, you have a cable, so it’s not wireless… but you need a cable with the Carlinkit 🤔

I went for
Hi, I have bought and returned the Carlinkit 5.0. Just didn't work, too many times (>80%) it wouldmn;t connect. I have tried everything and now returned it.
I went for this, it's been pretty faultless:
Amazon product ASIN B0B71XC7VG
(also got a wireless charging mat, as I have the SE)

Has anyone found a wireless carplay device that just works with the MG4 and doesn't require pulling the cable out after you have turned the car off to get it working again.

Just want a reliable device,

Thanks

I just got carlinkit 5 for my mg4 trophy. And its a breeze connect. V nice and works flawlessly. Instant connection.. no drops. I got at SGD$71 from official store on shopee

I just got carlinkit 5 for my mg4 trophy. And its a breeze connect. V nice and works flawlessly. Instant connection.. no drops. I got at SGD$71 from official store on shopee
Mine didn't work send it back, I have a similar one like Richlove and putted a disconnect switch in between and every time I start the car need to push the disconnect switch and it works. Sometimes when I use my blinker on low speed it turns black and need to disconnect with the switch and then it works again..... So I hope there will be a good unit that works fine soon without this handlings .....

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back