MG4 USB-C charging Android phone

waltgEV

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have an issue with my new MG4 SE long range USB-C port not charging my phone.

Has anyone successfully charged an Android phone from the USB-C port with any success?

When I connect my Android phone (Google Pixel 6a) to the USB-c port, the car doesn't see that the phone is connected so it doesn't get charged. I've been to the dealer with this however they could only show me the port was functioning by connecting an iPhone to the USB-C port (USB-C to Lightning) and the iPhone started charging.

The strange thing is, if I connect a USB-C to USB-A adapter/dongle to the cars port, then use a USB-A to USB-C cable to my phone it DOES charge!

The USB-C to USB-C cable I have works fine when using it to transfer data between 2 phones.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

The USB-A port is the one for Android Auto/Apple Carplay. The USB-C port should take a media device, but should also power a device, though I'm not sure of the power specs for that port.

Have you tried a different USB-C cable? (You've already tried a USB-A to C cable and that works, so the port seems to work - maybe your UCB-C to C cable isn't quite the best - they do vary after all, and can degrade over time).

I thought USB-C (port 2) on my MG4 was on the Fritz (didn't charge Pixel 5), but port 2 works fine for media via USB stick. Strange, the manual says it should have 5V power.
"There are 2 USB ports (1 & 2) equipped both sides of the 12V front console power socket. The USB ports can provide a 5V voltage when serving as a power outlet, or realize data transmission. USB port 1 can also provide‘Vehicle-Mobile Phone Interconnection’ function."
I'll try a different Android phone - maybe it's a weird Google Pixel thing?

The USB-A port is the one for Android Auto/Apple Carplay. The USB-C port should take a media device, but should also power a device, though I'm not sure of the power specs for that port.

Have you tried a different USB-C cable? (You've already tried a USB-A to C cable and that works, so the port seems to work - maybe your UCB-C to C cable isn't quite the best - they do vary after all, and can degrade over time).
Thanks for the reply.
I've got a 2nd cable on order (USB-C to USB-C).

The cable I already have works fine transferring data between different phones so there must be a data connection in there. Interestingly when I connect 2 phones with this cable phone A will charge from phone B and if I swap the cable between the phones then phone B will charge! From phone A!!

Yes, I've tried all 8 possible ways!!
I'm a little surprised the dealer couldn't at least show the port functioning with an Android phone. Such is life!

I have found the same with different cables and 2 different Pixel models. Dealer's Samsung charges just fine 🤷. Pixels work in A ports and wirelessly fine too

Yes, the USB-A port works fine for me to. Still waiting dilivery of a new USB-C to USB-C cable but not holding out any hope. Will update here if it works 'properly'! Still have the fall-back of using a C to A dongle with an A-C cable - hardly ideal!

Hi all, possible silly question but are you able to pass your usb cable through the little holes on the mat? they look far too small to me

Hi all, possible silly question but are you able to pass your usb cable through the little holes on the mat? they look far too small to me
I believe you can lift pad there are some plastic locks under pad what need pushing. I am sure I seen somebody posting that somewhere in forum

I believe you can lift pad there are some plastic locks under pad what need pushing. I am sure I seen somebody posting that somewhere in forum
Yes, I have been told the pad comes off but requires some force to persuade it. I don't have my MG4 yet, so cannot confirm the right procedure.

Edit: Please don't try this until someone confirms this is necessary. This is just what my dealer mentioned to me.

The pad wasn't for coming off easily and I couldn't push the C end up the way. The A end won't fit the slot pushing down. I'll maybe try taking it off but I have wireless charging and not fussed about AA anyway.

When

Has anyone successfully charged an Android phone from the USB-C port with any success?

When I connect my Android phone (Google Pixel 6a) to the USB-c port, the car doesn't see that the phone is connected so it doesn't get charged. I've been to the dealer with this however they could only show me the port was functioning by connecting an iPhone to the USB-C port (USB-C to Lightning) and the iPhone started charging.

The strange thing is, if I connect a USB-C to USB-A adapter/dongle to the cars port, then use a USB-A to USB-C cable to my phone it DOES charge!

The USB-C to USB-C cable I have works fine when using it to transfer data between 2 phones.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
When you connect your Phone double check there are no notifications about being a mass media device etc. I've had it in the past where an Android Cable was an OTG one and it triggered mass media mode rather than charging. You can usually see this in notifications and select to change it.

Might just be a cheap cable (I use ones by UGreen which tend to be decent) and it's not great at passing through a charge.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
@waltgEV Did you ever find a solution to this have the same issue and tried the various suggestions. Have a few leads and none work regardless of various directions on the leads. Not notifications on the phone etc. Using a Pixel 6

Quick question.
When I test drove the MG4 today, the salesman showed me how to lift the rubber mat corner to allow a cable to be fed through.
When I asked him what type of USB cable I would need to plug in my android phone, he told me it was a USB data and charge cable. So when I go to buy one for my Motorola phone, is this just a standard USB C cable that I can buy online?
Thank you.

For the interface to CarPlay etc you need a standard USB connector, the usb C plug is for charging only.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back