MG4 USB-C charging Android phone

The usb c port is charging only. However it is a slow charge, not the fast standard for usb c. My advice, buy a plug in 12v converter for the "cigarette lighter" socket. I got one that charges at the same rate as my mains one. It has a usb c and a usb A (standard) socket.

Last edited:
The USB-C port will play music. I have a USB stick with my music on it permanently plugged in to that, and use the USB-A one for my phone. If you need another device charged then there is a second USB-A socket in the back, and you can just lead a cable from it into the front armrest storage pocket and charge your Kindle or your torch or your camera from that.

The USB-C port will play music. I have a USB stick with my music on it permanently plugged in to that, and use the USB-A one for my phone. If you need another device charged then there is a second USB-A socket in the back, and you can just lead a cable from it into the front armrest storage pocket and charge your Kindle or your torch or your camera from that.
Ah yes, right you are, hence the "usb 2" in the music player. However my usb c port now has my footwell led strips plugged into it. Never too old to pimp my ride.
I think I meant to state that the usb A is the only connection you can use for android auto, which is my source for listening to music as I find the EQ settings in head unit underwhelming.

The usb C to usb C port seems to charge my Samsung s22 extremely slowly ( with phone notification about slow charging due to a malfunctioning cable, even though I used my original Samsung perfectly working cable, and also tried an expensive 60W fast charging cable as well, no luck)

Last edited by a moderator:
As to USB-C compatibility with Android phones (in this case Samsung), I have now tested a number of cables, which charges flawlessly on a domestic wall charger, but does not charge my Android Samsung phone from the USB-C port, where my phone gives the "Please check cable" warning. This to me indicates that there is an incompatibility issue between the USB-C port and Android. Especially since I have no issue charging my iPhone SE with an USB-C to Lightning cable. Obviously this is is not a scientific test, as both phones does not support the same plug.
I have simply accepted that Android charging from the USB-C port is not supported and will either use the USB-A rear console or a 12V Cigarette Lighter USB-C charging plug.
Acceptance is so much easier that claiming your right till the end of day 🙏

To my understanding the USB C port on the MG4 is USB C in shape only ... it is not USB C specification.

To my understanding the USB C port on the MG4 is USB C in shape only ... it is not USB C specification.
USB-C is a connector not a protocol.
This particular USB-C connector on the MG4 is limited in terms of power delivery and data transmission speeds.
The fact that a USB-C to Lightning cable works to deliver power to an iPhone means the connector is to USB-C specifications, but whether your device can be charged by it will depend on the cable and the device itself.
Please note that:
the USB-C plugs have two-fold rotational symmetry because a plug may be inserted into a receptacle in either of two orientations. Electrically, USB-C plugs are not symmetric, as can be seen in the tables of pin layouts. Also the two ends of the USB-C are electrically different, as can be seen in the table of cable wiring. The illusion of symmetry results from how devices respond to the cable. Software makes the plugs and cables behave as though they are symmetric. According to the specifications, "Determination of this host-to-device relationship is accomplished through a Configuration Channel (CC) that is connected through the cable."
--- Source Wikipedia

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel