CarPlay - is it wireless on MG4?

The Apple cables are made in China. But yes, you’d think so. I normally buy a braided cable and pay extra to get a decent one.

Yeah, pretty much everything is manufactured in China I know. When I said "Chinese cable", I only meant non-Apple cable and not from any particular brand. But such "Chinese" (non-OEM) cables on AliExpress or Amazon can be MFi-certified, while others are not and are absolute crap. MFi (Made for iPhone) certification means there is a compatible authentification chip in the connector, so it's the thing to check when buying a Lightning cable, whatever the brand.

Hopefully next year will put an end to the Lightning connector on new iPhones because Apple will have to comply with the recent EU law that makes USB-C mandatory on all new smartphones as from 2023.

The Apple cables are made in China. But yes, you’d think so. I normally buy a braided cable and pay extra to get a decent one.
I got the Anker braided lightning cable from Amazon I've had no issues so far... I've only had the car for a month so we'll see how it goes but no drop outs or screens freezing on system version R40.

Also tested the Anker android USB A to USB C braided cable on my friends Samsung phone and it worked perfectly.

I bought a Motorola MA1 so I can just jump in the car with my phone in my pocket and AA will load up. However what I did not realise is that it relies on my phone having a BT connection with the car, bring on the frustration of BT disconnects between car & phone and even switching itself off at times on the car. R33
Wednesday I am hoping for an update to solve it. If it does, happy days, phone just stays in my pocket.

I bought a Motorola MA1 so I can just jump in the car with my phone in my pocket and AA will load up. However what I did not realise is that it relies on my phone having a BT connection with the car, bring on the frustration of BT disconnects between car & phone and even switching itself off at times on the car. R33
Wednesday I am hoping for an update to solve it. If it does, happy days, phone just stays in my pocket.
But the MG4 doesn’t support wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay?

I got the Anker braided lightning cable from Amazon I've had no issues so far... I've only had the car for a month so we'll see how it goes but no drop outs or screens freezing on system version R40.

Also tested the Anker android USB A to USB C braided cable on my friends Samsung phone and it worked perfectly.

I use Anker cables exclusively. Never had a problem with any devices.

I use Anker cables exclusively. Never had a problem with any devices.
Their service is impeccable too - buy the ones with a lifetime warranty. I’ve had 2 replaced with almost zero hassle - all they wanted was a photo of the cable and a close up showing the serial number.

Edited to fix the word ‘buy’. Autocorrect at its finest again!

Last edited:
Just to add, I have the Carlinkit with youtube and netflix whick works great. Viewing whilst charging is a bonus! Connectivity has been pretty reliable and can be totally wireless.

I just got a cheep dongle from amazon they have loads for sale.
Just took 1 minute to pair with the phone then now connects and launches AA before I am ready to go.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back