Carry a charging cable?

DB00nowthen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
New Trophy came with what I now know to call a granny charging cable, but not a Type 2. I have. Zapppi with a tethered cable so no issues at home. I had assumed that all public chargers would have tethered type 2 or rapid charging cables. But now realised that there won’t be the cables tethered to many non rapid public chargers. I know it’s a stupid newbie question, but I’d rather ask it than be caught short.

If so, MG hasn’t shortchanged me by not including a type 2 cable have they? They are just not included?

So if I have to buy one, can someone please provide a link to a trusted source/brand, eg on Amazon.

I don't. The space is just right so that the bonnet itself holds the cable (in its bag) in place. I saw someone do that in a video review of the car, and tried it, and it's perfect. It's not a deliberately-created space for a cable, I think it's just good luck that it fits.

ETA: Gazumped by Siteguru. What he said.
Can you post a photo, please?

We need ours, as we can't charge at home, and the local (ie, only charger for 45 miles) is, as you say, fine for 50kW, as the cable is tethered, but we need the cable for the cheaper charger. This is working out quite well.

I wondered what you were on about, because I thought you had the same charger as we have here, a single unit that has a choice of CCS, CHAdeMo or type 2 tethered connectors, all at the same price. But I see you are blessed with a separate two-connector type 2-only charger as well.

You are also cursed with punitive prices. Our charger is 30p a unit regardless of which connector you use.

Last edited:
Can you post a photo, please?

Your wish is my command.

1688645541387.png

This is just as it was when I opened the boot. I haven't used the cable for weeks, but it's there if I need it.

I measured it, and it is indeed 5 metres, which seems absolutely ample. Although I confess that the idea of parking across someone's ICE parked in an EV charging bay and leading the cable past them is attractive.

My granny cable seems to be 4 metres. So when the dealer said 5 metres to me he must have thought I was asking about the type 2 cable.

I've seen Bjorn Nyland's. Could you post links to the others please?

This is the most recent one I looked at.

There's a whole series of them actually - on my screen the sidebar is full of them. The things to search for are "How far will they go?" and "We drove these electric cars until they DIED!"

An odd thing at the beginning of this one is the statement that they were all fully charged the night before, but had lost some charge overnight. One was shown with a SoC of 96%. What's all that about? I charge my SE to 100% when I feel like it and it can stay at that for several days.

They set all the heaters to 20 degrees. Try that in the MG4 and you'll freeze to death.

Your wish is my command.

View attachment 18809

This is just as it was when I opened the boot. I haven't used the cable for weeks, but it's there if I need it.

I measured it, and it is indeed 5 metres, which seems absolutely ample. Although I confess that the idea of parking across someone's ICE parked in an EV charging bay and leading the cable past them is attractive.

My granny cable seems to be 4 metres. So when the dealer said 5 metres to me he must have thought I was asking about the type 2 cable.
I have done the same thing with my Type 2 charging cable in its bag. I have secured it in place with the bag handles by the bonnet stay clipped in n place. Sorted.

I know. Not everyone has a Trophy! 😉

Just to be serious for a moment, the bonnet is actually a better place, because you don't have to take all the luggage out of your boot if you need the charging cable.
If you have luggage in the boot surely it's time for rapid chargers!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back