Charge Flap snapped off - ZS EV Trophy

Might be more meaningful to sacrifice £35 on a new flap then test it to destruction. If you had empiric evidence of the actual force required to break one you could better make the case that it isn't fit for purpose.
I agree.
I do find it a little strange that this design would not have under gone some type of simple opening and closing cycles on a bench test before approving it as fit for purpose ?.
Maybe it did ?.
A robot cycling this hinge backwards and forwards about 100,000 times is the normal process 🤣 .
This does not however mean the test had been carried out, it would simulate what would happen IF the flap has been over extended backwards, by the weight of a person passing by and catching it with part of his body, or even the weight of a heavy rapid charger cable weighing backwards against it ?.
These simulated lab tests are not real world testing of course.
There is no human element involved of course, throw this into the mix and it all goes to pot.
I know this to be totally accurate, because when we purchase another brand new vacuum machine that has been tested to total destruction over five years by the manufacture.
How is it then, when put in my wife is at the wheel, she can completely bugger it up, in only about 6 months :ROFLMAO: !.
This is not a sexist remark, she admits it !.
She is a compulsive "Button Basher" with anything electrical.
I just know when we are in trouble again, when I hear these famous words :- "What's up with this bloody thing now ?".
Bless her !.
We have just been invited to the "Currys" Christmas party, because we are there best customers.

It needs to add much needed strength, but it can't be too brittle at the same time, it also has to bond with the original hard brittle plastic of the hinge.
This is why I suggested hot glue.
There is a few alternative materials that I would personally like to use, from my time spent in the aircraft industry, but I have not named any of them purely because of high cost and the lack of availability of these adhesives to the general public.
But if they will bond aircraft parts together that travel at 36,000 feet and 450 Mph, they will fix a cheap broken hinge, thats for 100% for sure ;) !.

Had pretty much the same issue - snapped my 2 months old car charger flat off. Latest quote is £350, the actual part is £35+ VAT. the rest is the labour to take bumper off and put it on again :(
If you can supply the part number, I'll get hold of one, I have a 3dprinter and would to strengthen my cars hinge for when I eventually get my car.

What would be good if you can make a insert that would slot in the back and fills the holes
Good thinking !.
A bit of a “mirror image” type thing going on possibly?.
It would be too much to expect that there enough room to install this, without having to drop the bumper cover of course ???.
I like your train of thought 💭 @N2STY .

So for all you folks with broken flaps is it safe to say it only occurs at winter ? I don't have winter in my country so I'm hoping to avoid this :(
It only got cold here in last couple days... No ice or snow as yet ("Oop north M62")

So for all you folks with broken flaps is it safe to say it only occurs at winter ? I don't have winter in my country so I'm hoping to avoid this :(
Wow ........ You are very lucky to be living in such a loverly part of the world !.
Would you mind exchanging energy bills with me 🤣 !.

I think this is pretty shocking actually. Clearly, this charge port door is not fit for purpose, and MG should accept replacement under warranty, and a serious re-think on the structural integrity of the hinge mechanism.
A charge port door is likely to be opened/closed probably more frequently than the refuelling door of an ICE vehicle. It’s crazy that it hasn’t been made more durable. We shouldn’t just lay down and pay for a replacement that is likely to also break. Where would it end?
Charge flap blues

I’m getting a bit obsessive now

And scared to charge I will avow

These flappy horrors worry me

With Winter gremlins on a spree

Charge port ought to be internal

Free from snow ‘n frost infernal

Beneath the bonnet fine and dry

And away from any prying eye

The cable, be it CCS,

Type2 or dear old Granny (bless)

Leave the bonnet on the latch

With a padlock and dirty great chain to match

Or a concrete flap we can rely on

Swung on a hinge of solid iron

A timber flap to give us splinters

………??????…..🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Come on guys with 3D printers

Hi Guys, a bit of an update with pictures. :)

Flap was changed at extensional prices for labour to take bumper off and put it back on.

I have a whole unit on me and plastic is just crap, very brittle.

There are multiple failure points exist even if you would increase the strength of the flap itself.

The pin that this flap pivots on is made out of the same plastic :(

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpeg
    IMG_2390.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2389.jpeg
    IMG_2389.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    580 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2387.jpeg