Charge Flap snapped off - ZS EV Trophy

Filtonian

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
ZS EV Charge Flap snapped off

Hello all,

Just a short note to confirm the flimsiness of the front charge flap. Ours was found snapped off last week, and I can confirm that it is a structurally weak design.
I am in the process of a warranty claim and have been quoted £150 to paint and fit a new flap by my dealer in Weston super Mare. The good news is that the flap still fits securely even though the hinge is broken.

I still love this car!

Attachments

• 20221031_104733.jpg
    20221031_104733.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 620
  • 20221031_104730.jpg
    20221031_104730.jpg
    663.4 KB · Views: 629
I know that most people hated the Mk1 charge flap but personally, I prefer it to the Mk2. With the Mk2, if the CCS charger is to the right of the car, the thick charging cable pushes against the flap. With the Mk1, gravity ensured that the charging cable never interfered with the flap.

Hello all,

Just a short note to confirm the flimsiness of the front charge flap. Ours was found snapped off last week, and I can confirm that it is a structurally weak design.
I am in the process of a warranty claim and have been quoted £150 to paint and fit a new flap by my dealer in Weston super Mare. The good news is that the flap still fits securely even though the hinge is broken.

I still love this car!
You can just use front coloured part from broken one and fit to new hinge no painting required

I've had the exact same problem.

I was going to look into getting it plastic welded back on together as ,as you mentioned it still looks into place just the hinge was snapped

Hello all,

I still love this car!
Did it just fall away when you opened the charge flap, when trying to take on a charge ??.
The hinge is extremely hollow in its design at the point of failure, by the looks of it.
It has no criss cross bracing, across the main body of the hinge assembly, unlike the other parts of the door, I have noticed.
It almost gives an impression that the door has been over extended backwards on the hinge and it has just fractured ??.
A bit like opening a hard back book to far and the spine of the book 📖 suddenly gives way.
Can the broken part of the hinge, easterly be removed or does the front bumper skin / cover need to be removed first to gain access to the hinge retaining bolts ?.

Had pretty much the same issue - snapped my 2 months old car charger flat off. Latest quote is £350, the actual part is £35+ VAT. the rest is the labour to take bumper off and put it on again :(
That's a complete p-take. If something is that flimsy on a near new car, manufacturer should cover it.

IMG_1931.jpeg

You would be able to glue it all together using soldering iron and the plastic strips, like I did this so the flap stays in place. But you are right, this is very flimsy plastic. and yeah, I have checked - definitely bumper off job :(

View attachment 12787
You would be able to glue it all together using soldering iron and the plastic strips, like I did this so the flap stays in place. But you are right, this is very flimsy plastic. and yeah, I have checked - definitely bumper off job :(
I have just been comparing what looks like the point of failure on your car, to the pictures supplied by @Filtonian above on his car.
Yours appears to have failed, where the hinge attaches to the charge door.
While on @Filtonian car, it appears to have failed at the opposite end of the hinge assembly ?.
The door definitely needs some type of reinforcement adding, to increase the overhaul strength.
Because your has failed close to the flap, is there any way that you could use a plastic bumper repair hot stapler gun, that would add strength to the hinge ( link below ).
When the new part arrives, do you intend to strengthen it, before it is fitted by the dealer.
As the replacement door will only be made to the same standard as the previous failed part.
The price of the part is okay, but the labour is a bit spiteful !.
It could become an expensive repair if carried out once a year !.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
View attachment 12787
If they're falling apart now, I really have to wonder how these will hold up during a freezing winter when the plastics are likely to be more brittle.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom