Charge Flap snapped off - ZS EV Trophy

Just looked back at your earlier comment!

That’s shocking the price has shot up so much!

I contacted my local MG dealer using the part number on my broken part (11255911).

They came back with a price of £139.44. Not sure if that includes VAT or not.

I’m going to try and find a second hand replacement instead. Not giving them best part of 150 quid for such a flimsy part.

Thanks for the research you’ve done. 👍👍
That part number has been superseded and so has the price !.
If you can get one that that price, I would grab it !.
The new door / hinge assembly does not come with the body coloured flap, your original door / flap will be used.

That part number has been superseded and so has the price !.
If you can get one that that price, I would grab it !.
The new door / hinge assembly does not come with the body coloured flap, your original door / flap will be used.
Yeah I’ve been doing some digging using the new part number.

Thought I found one online but wasn’t the same part number.

So with my local dealer being £139 (I’ve just re-read the email - that includes VAT), I’m probably as well using them.

I’m planning to swap it all out myself and will document how to do it.

Managed to save the front body colour section so all good there. 👍

Got my ZS EV in September 22 and it broke within a month. I've just been sliding the arm in the whole and still clicking it in since then, as I imagine most of you have.

I did find supergluing the whole panel together helped as the textured front kept sliding off.

I was hoping someone had a fix for keeping it together again. Mine is a lease, so servicing is included, though I imagine this isn't. I'm happy to do it a couple of days before hand back and suggest the garage broke it...

Got my ZS EV in September 22 and it broke within a month. I've just been sliding the arm in the whole and still clicking it in since then, as I imagine most of you have.

I did find supergluing the whole panel together helped as the textured front kept sliding off.

I was hoping someone had a fix for keeping it together again. Mine is a lease, so servicing is included, though I imagine this isn't. I'm happy to do it a couple of days before hand back and suggest the garage broke it...
Why didn’t you take it back if it broke after a month as I’d argue for a warranty repair being so new.

I would use a different product than super glue.

A plastic glue

That could refer to a lot of different glues all of very variable effectiveness in this application.

CA glue (super glue) is brittle for sure.

A slow cure epoxy would be better, but I think due to the design of the part some additional strength is needed to prevent it from snapping again further down the line.

Why didn’t you take it back if it broke after a month as I’d argue for a warranty repair being so new.

Accidental damage isn't covered by the warranty, you would have to claim through your insurance.

I have been super super careful with my charge flap after hearing what others have been quoted for replacement. However, it doesn’t strike me as being ‘fit for purpose’, so maybe worth trying to claim on the warranty?

I'd driven half a mile down the road with it open, so I thought it counted as my fault. At the time, I didn't realise how easily they were breaking. I did think why don't they have a sensor to say the flap isn't closed 🤷🏼‍♂️.

I did think why don't they have a sensor to say the flap isn't closed 🤷🏼‍♂️.
This question has been asked on a number of occasions TBH.
I have been lucky enough not to drive away with the charge flap left open on our ZS EV Gen2 (yet).
But I did leave it open on a couple of occasions in our previous ZS EV Gen1 model, both times after using a public charging post !.
Our home wall box has a tethered cable, so I have got into the habit of unlocking the car with the fob to release the cable, then returning it straight away to the wall box.
When using a untethered public charger, I would release the cable with the fob, then coil up the cable and return it straight to the boot.
Then I would jump into the car and drive off with the charge flap still wide open - Dooh :rolleyes: !.
Our previous VW PHEV had a warning light on the dash, to warn if the charge flap was still open.
Strangely enough, it would report to say "Hatchback Open".
The first time this happened, I thought the actual hatch back itself was incorrectly closed.
So, I stopped the car and opened the hatch and closed it again firmly !.
Returned to the car and it still had the warning showing on the dash 🤷‍♂️.
Went around to the front of the car to find that the charge flap was slightly open.
Closed it firmly and the warning light had then gone out (y).
Having the warning light was a great idea, but the warning message text got lost in the translation process from German to English I think :ROFLMAO:.

I'd driven half a mile down the road with it open, so I thought it counted as my fault. At the time, I didn't realise how easily they were breaking. I did think why don't they have a sensor to say the flap isn't closed 🤷🏼‍♂️.
I've driven to work multiple times forgetting to close it over the past 18 months (50 min journey) and no flap problems so far. Other than the shame of forgetting.

MG are weird, we have a warning come up on the dash on the MG4, where you don't need a warning because you can see the flap in the door mirror. :rolleyes:

Trying to minimise the risk of a "walk by" charge flap incident!

IMG_1662.JPG

IMG_1665.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom