Charged to 100% for a long(ish) trip

Anyone know how to reset the predicted range? Let my wife drive the car for 1 day and she managed to reduce predicted range from 250 to 229
Screenshot_20221014_141536.jpg

From 100% SOC, I did a trip to Manchester yesterday covering 173 miles in my ZS Trophy LR and I arrived with 134 miles remaining range at 41% SOC. Average speed for the whole trip was 45MPH and on the motorway I typically cruised at 65MPH. Heating/AC on for about 30% of the trip, sunroof on tilt setting most of the time. Happy with these numbers. Mind you, my Ioniq EV would typically achieve between 5 and 5.5 miles per kWh on this journey, but that car is an efficiency king by any measure, just lacked the range and charging speed of the ZS LR.

That implies you were doing 4.46 mls p/kwh, good for you and all but I'm not sure anyone will get close to that on a motorway run. Id wager you spent a reasonable amount of time in a lorry's slipstream or doing considerably less than 65mph. Or not on a motorway.

I did 185 miles recently and averaged 3.4 mls p/kWh with an average speed of 65mph. That was with the cruise at 70mph and climate set to 19°c.

I'd say that is a more realistic figure for most..

That implies you were doing 4.46 mls p/kwh, good for you and all but I'm not sure anyone will get close to that on a motorway run. Id wager you spent a reasonable amount of time in a lorry's slipstream or doing considerably less than 65mph. Or not on a motorway.

I did 185 miles recently and averaged 3.4 mls p/kWh with an average speed of 65mph. That was with the cruise at 70mph and climate set to 19°c.

Nope, its as I stated in post #83. It was an unusually warm day so that clearly helped and I would say motorway was about 65% of the journey. There were a couple of stop-start points on the journey as there always is on the M6. But other than that a relatively relaxed journey without any deliberate slipstreaming.

I've been driving cars with regen and electric motors since 2005 and perhaps I've developed some weird technique for eeking out the miles. 😂

My calculation on this journey would be:
  • 68.3 kWh usable capacity
  • Assume 59.4% battery used (maximum to ensure a remaining SOC of 41%)
  • 173 miles divided by 40.57 kWh battery usage (maximum)
  • 4.26 miles per kWh
  • My accumulated miles per kWh on the display fluctuates between 4 and 4.1 currently after just over 1,000 miles on the Odometer.

I did almost the same journey this time last year in my Ioniq Electric and managed to get 5.4 miles per kWh but that is a much more efficient car, I would say around 20% or so more efficient.

We've stopped taking pictures of dashboard readings as it became ridiculously competitive in our household. Our daughter has a Seat Mii EV which wipes the floor with most cars in terms of efficiency, except the Ioniq Electric. I would say, however, the MG5 LR we own can sometimes outperform the ZS Trophy LR given the right conditions.

1666020786621.jpeg

Not worth comparing as it is a lot lighter car
Its actually been quite interesting comparing because the Ioniq Electric in 9 times out of 10 cases beat the Mii. The only time it was a close-run thing was in town only driving and even then it was very close. Weight is a factor but not the only one. The new Ioniq 6, for example, is a big car by any standard but if you look at the efficiency numbers its very impressive.

Not worth comparing as it is a lot lighter car
The 5.4 figure in the photo was from my Ioniq Electric, not the Mii, for the avoidance of doubt.

The Ioniq Electric Gross Vehicle Weight is 1970 kg versus the Seat Mii Electric at 1530 kg and according to EV database the Ioniq Electric efficiency is 247 Wh/mi versus 248 Wh for the Seat Mii Electric.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom