Charger uses power, but it's not gone into the battery.

calwoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
On two occasions now my smart meter and its online app (Loop) tells me that the car charged between 0030 and 0430 using 12 kWh energy, but the MG app showing the amount of charge, and the “miles since last charge” display in the car indicates it didnt charge. Anyone else experience this? Could the battery be holding more charge than the instruments indicate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the charger will test the connection. Also it wont charge if youve set scheduled charging & it’s outside the shedule. I wouldnt worry too much, my phone app & car never agree. Hope this helps.

Checking back on Loop, in both cases where Loop recorded 12 kWh on my bill, the graph was an absolutely straight line at 3 kWh fo 4 hours. In all other cases where the car battery showed charging had occurred the graph was jagged but more than 3 kWh. (It’s a 16 amp charger) Like the subpostmasters I’m wondering if my account can be tampered with. Could the supplier edit our real electricity consumption in their favour?

I suspect a software glitch. Had something similar twice: once at home battery charged but the kilometers since last charge was not reset. The other occasion was after using a fast charger.

Both cases the kilowatts ended up in the battery but the kilometers since last charge was not reset and just continued.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back