Charging across Europe

Can’t answer that question but I sure am jealous. Sounds like a fine adventure - wherever you’re heading. Have a wonderful safe time.
If you take the shuttle and stay in F1 hotels and keep of toll roads, touring Europe can be really cheap!

This year it's around Spain mostly in the mountains, Spain is the most mountainous / highest country in Europe not Switzerland! Hope to visit Gibraltar this year. That's all very challenging charging territory!

If you take the shuttle and stay in F1 hotels and keep of toll roads, touring Europe can be really cheap!

This year it's around Spain mostly in the mountains, Spain is the most mountainous / highest country in Europe not Switzerland! Hope to visit Gibraltar this year. That's all very challenging charging territory!
Keep us posted :)

Today I drove from the French Pyrenees to Portugal, over 600 miles smashing my EV and ice daily record. I still feel relaxed.

If anyone now dares tell me that an EV is only suitable for short trips they might hear something they will not likeView attachment 10135

Charger 1 was Ionity on a octopus card, 2 was on electromaps, 3 zunder plug and play, 4 electromaps, 5 zunder, 6 Portugal on Miio.

Cruising mostly at 70-75 apart from one long charger gap at 65.
Great information. I'm planning a trip to Portugal via ferry to Santander and this helps. I was thinking of using the Tesla network in Spain. I'm a Kia driver but it seems to be open to non-Tesla's there. Did you investigate this at all?

Great information. I'm planning a trip to Portugal via ferry to Santander and this helps. I was thinking of using the Tesla network in Spain. I'm a Kia driver but it seems to be open to non-Tesla's there. Did you investigate this at all?
Err, no!

You cannot rely on Tesla in Spain as they're too far apart and in Portugal you have to use the MOB.I system to charge as the Tesla app system is mostly blocked for all bar Teslas.

Where in Portugal are you heading?

Before you go to Spain you will need an Electromaps account & token, it works over half of chargers. Next you need a Zunder account, can take a few weeks to sort (Spanish address issue), their chargers are cheap, fast & reliable. Maybe consider Enel (need 2 days to activate) and maybe WENEA.

In Portugal everything operates off the MOB.I system, for a UK citizen only Miio works for a UK address, so you need the app & RFID card again set up a month in advance.

I'm doing the Santander Ferry again this year for Spain, Portugal & Gibraltar.

Be warned, Spain is hell on earth for charging so have some spare time, chill and have plan B, C & D. Chargers maybe missing, behind locked gates, broken, blocked or just don't like your car! I spent 4 hours in Palencia where none of the 4 rapids worked!

If you want some help DM me.

My 2023 trip 1 is to Spain, Portugal & Gibraltar, going a lot more rural & charger remote this year. Daring? maybe! Dare I pop into Morocco? Hmm . . .

Today I drove from the French Pyrenees to Portugal, over 600 miles smashing my EV and ice daily record. I still feel relaxed.

If anyone now dares tell me that an EV is only suitable for short trips they might hear something they will not likeView attachment 10135

Charger 1 was Ionity on a octopus card, 2 was on electromaps, 3 zunder plug and play, 4 electromaps, 5 zunder, 6 Portugal on Miio.

Cruising mostly at 70-75 apart from one long charger gap at 65.
Very brave, congratulations, I'm still waiting for things to evolve to make that trip, in that same car, and I'm writing a year after your adventure.

Very brave, congratulations, I'm still waiting for things to evolve to make that trip, in that same car, and I'm writing a year after your adventure.
I'd say driving to Portugal in 2021 mid pandemic in my LEAF was brave! 2022 in the MG5 was quite easy having sorted out charging apps (not all of which worked)

Give it a try!

As @EVsince2016 said it was quite easy, for him, perhaps you are only waiting for yourself to evolve. :ROFLMAO:

I haven't done any similar trip abroad yet either but believe the car and infrastructure is quite adequate now.

France, Portugal are easy as I am told are Belgium, Netherlands, Germany etc

Spain is the biggest challenge still but low EV take up keeps chargers free of EVs

Well if you count driving from West Yorks to Brittany and back (plus a bit of pootling around in between 😌) then yes!
I planned a 'test drive' into France in 2020 before my 2021 trip. That didn't happen!

France is very easy, enjoy!

I am heading to France in Sept, planning on using my Octopus Electroverse card (get 5% discount as Octopus customer). Map below shows chargepoints across Europe where it works (including Portugal, although doesnt look that many there). I find the app for route planning very good.

I am heading to France in Sept, planning on using my Octopus Electroverse card (get 5% discount as Octopus customer). Map below shows chargepoints across Europe where it works (including Portugal, although doesnt look that many there). I find the app for route planning very good.
Yes got Electroverse, plan to use that as main app / RFID / planning (although I've noticed the live availability is not always as accurate as ZapMap).

I also ordered a ChargeCard for France as a back up.

Portugal is on the MOB.I system so only apps/cards on that system work there. For us that is Miio as the only one to allow UK addresses (may be new ones I don't know)

Hi I am off to south France end of July I am going to use my octopus card and bonnet app do you think this will do? do I need any more cards?

Hi I am off to south France end of July I am going to use my octopus card and bonnet app do you think this will do? do I need any more cards?
Probably, but check the apps first to make sure there are plenty of chargepoints you can use where you need them. It's also worth checking out Tesla superchargers. The open ones are plentiful in France and you could probably do the entire journey south on them. Cheap too with a monthly subscription. Just make sure you do a test charge first on a supercharger as some makes and models don't get on with them.

Thanks for info, when I tried tesla chargers at Bluewater it would not connect tried a few so gave up,I have been planning for awhile now i have used bonnet app in uk but not electric juice app/card.

I go to France quite a lot. Look out for Lidl's they seem really on the ball for having chargers. The ones I use are 20c / kwh. Even the Rapid chargers.

I would also get a Chargepoint card.

It is worth checking the costs on the octopus app I have seen it higher on octopus than just using a credit card.

Where about are you going?

Off to L’lsle-sur-la-sorgue but taking a slow drive Reims/Dijon then a week south then back to Annecy/Reims and home wife fretting about charging but it looks like France has it covere.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom