Charging at above 50kW

tony powell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have just completed a 3 week tour of the British mainland, encompassing the North Coast 500, Orkney, Cotswolds and Southern England. BY and large I encountered no problems, except at Braintree (Gridserve) and the BP charging hub on the M6 park and ride near Lancaster. On both these 150kW charge points there was a communication problem between them and my MG ZS EV 2020 and I could not charge. However I did manage to charge okay at other charge points such as instavolt which have 120kW chargers and some with Charge Place Scotland.
Has anybody else experienced this problem, or could the fault lie with BP Pulse and Gridserve? I did have problems charging at Gridserve Braintree with my E-Niro a year ago and BP Pulse do not seem to have a very good reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear you had a good trip. I get frustrated at times with rapid chargers. I too have a 2020 ZS and random chargers just don’t work. I failed at one ultra rapid Gridserve charger at Severn View but the older 60 kW one worked. And I also had my first rapid charge at a BP charger on the same day. Many of the BP have been failures such I have given up on them but the one I used was on my route so I gave it a go!

I've had BP issues before for some reason

using the fast chargers on other networks hasnt been a problem - Ionity always seem to work first time

Instavolt has been the most reliable for me but I’d expect that for the price!
Gridserve has let me down.
Swarco 50/50 experience.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom