Charging at work

Thank you for the informations, I wasn't aware of all of this.
As Lovemyev said, CCS is a totally different animal to type 2.

Type 2 (just the top socket on the car) connects a 240v AC input to the car's built in charger which will run at a max of 7kw. So even if you have a 22kw supply, the car will only take on take 7. The granny cable or home charger really is just a glorified switch and cable, all the clever stuff happens in the car. Which is why you can only do battery balancing on AC input.

CCS (both ports combined) connects the high voltage external charger directly to the battery and can bang in upto 80kw in the MG5. All the clever stuff is in the external controller, which makes them very expensive.

So your work charging scenario will be limited to 7kw on AC unless you want to shell out over £10k to have a rapid charger installed on that outlet.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

Probably not the same, but we had a similar outlet at the place I used to work. It turned out it was an inlet for the huge diesel generator next to it that could be used to power the building in the event of a power cut.

As Lovemyev said, CCS is a totally different animal to type 2.

Type 2 (just the top socket on the car) connects a 240v AC input to the car's built in charger which will run at a max of 7kw. So even if you have a 22kw supply, the car will only take on take 7. The granny cable or home charger really is just a glorified switch and cable, all the clever stuff happens in the car. Which is why you can only do battery balancing on AC input.

CCS (both ports combined) connects the high voltage external charger directly to the battery and can bang in upto 80kw in the MG5. All the clever stuff is in the external controller, which makes them very expensive.

So your work charging scenario will be limited to 7kw on AC unless you want to shell out over £10k to have a rapid charger installed on that outlet.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.
Yes thank you so much to clarify all in one answer

Thank you but I wasn't going to use my granny cable, that the reason why I wanted some expertise to know which charging cable to buy
A "cable" - no matter how fancy - is not going to solve your problem.

In order to get electrons from a wall outlet into your car you need a piece of kit called "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment" or EVSE.

The MG EV has a 7kW single phase charger on-board, that means if you purchase a 7kW single phase EVSE with a 63A 3phase "commando" plug fitted you could plug straight into that socket and the EVSE would draw the maximum it is designed to draw, 32A.

The only online seller that does custom plugs on 7kW EVSE's (also referred to as "portable chargers") is here.
Write to them and ask if they can fit a CEE 5pole 63A plug.

It looks like this:
1626267871929.png

In order to get electrons from a wall outlet into your car you need a piece of kit called "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment" or EVSE.

The MG EV has a 7kW single phase charger on-board, that means if you purchase a 7kW single phase EVSE with a 63A 3phase "commando" plug fitted you could plug straight into that socket and the EVSE would draw the maximum it is designed to draw, 32A.

The only online seller that does custom plugs on 7kW EVSE's (also referred to as "portable chargers") is here.

It looks like this:
View attachment 4052
Thank you for your advice

It looks like this:
View attachment 4052
Or just buy the adapter I linked to and an Ohme 32a commando to type 2 cable for £199 from Octopus.

Has anyone had a charger installation at a work place to use with a private EV and at what cost and are you charged to use the electric?

link?
Is this a cable or an EVSE?
There's this amazing thing called a search engine where you can type something in and read all about it...

Astoundingly this came up top when I searched for 'ohme 32a commando octopus'.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom