Charging cable choices…

szymon

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a new facelift MG5 hopefully arriving next weekend, and we are considering what cables to buy. At home I have an untethered type 2 charger which runs at 32A single phase (7.2kW). However for out and about I understand that the MG5 can use 11kW three phase, which is 16A per phase. I see some 3 phase cables for sale which are marked as 11kW and others marked as 22kW (32A per phase).

My question is: if I buy an 11kW cable designed for 16A per phase, is it also going to work at 7.2kW 32A single phase? Do they generally make 11kW cables with a thicker L1 capable of 32A vs L2 and L3 limited to 16A? Or do I have to buy a 22kW cable l where all three lives are capable of 32A?

Also, how does the charging point and the vehicle know what cable is in use — is there electronics in the cable? Or does it rely on you knowing and setting it to only use say 16A?

Cheers,

-simon

Yes a 3 phase cable will work on the house charger at 7kw, it will just pass power via the phase 1 line. There's not a whole lot of difference in charging times between 7 and 11kw so I suspect if you are out and about you'll be using faster DC charging. If you buy a 32amp cable you futureproof yourself a bit, not sure there's a huge difference in the price.

Yes a 3 phase cable will work on the house charger at 7kw, it will just pass power via the phase 1 line. There's not a whole lot of difference in charging times between 7 and 11kw so I suspect if you are out and about you'll be using faster DC charging. If you buy a 32amp cable you futureproof yourself a bit, not sure there's a huge difference in the price.
Right, it will pass port on the phase 1 line — but will that line be capable of carrying 32A (7.2kW) or only 16A (3.6kW)? Bearing in mind that in 3 phase mode it can only carry 16A (3.6kW) per channel (3 x 3.6kW = 11kW)…

Hmm…from Single/Three phase charging cables with your car? - Page 1 - EV and Alternative Fuels - PistonHeads UK

Charge speed is limited by the number of phases and max current and the lowest combo of those determined by your car, cable and charge point.

7.2kw is single phase, 32a and the car, cable and charge point all need to be able to deliver that.

If the cable was 16a/3 phase you might get 11kw if the car and charge point both support 3 phase 16a (realistically, if they support 3 phase they’ll support a minimum of 16a)

If you use that cable on a single phase supply you’ll only get 3.6kw even if the car and charge point can both supply 32a, the cable current limit per phase becomes the limiting factor.

In other words (and second guessing why you’ve asked the question), an 11kw cable won’t support 7kw charging, you’ll only get 3.6kw. You’d need a 22kw cable (3 phase, 32a per phase) to cover the most real world situations even though it’s pretty rate to ever find a car and chargepoint that can both charge at 22kw.

From a Facebook group where I asked the same question…

Attachments

• 384FA252-5EFB-4756-ADF9-ABDE30C7E153.jpeg
    384FA252-5EFB-4756-ADF9-ABDE30C7E153.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 77
Oh wait. That link is for the MG4. But the mg5 seems to say in various places that it’s 11kW, eg:

etc

I know some MG4s had 3 phase fitted in error but not sure the MG5 does come with it.

I know some MG4s had 3 phase fitted in error but not sure the MG5 does come with it.
The links above appear to all be sure that the facelift does have it.

In fact here is a link from MG’s own website:

“ The new MG Marvel R Electric and MG5 Electric are both equipped with an 11 kW on-board charger as standard for extra fast charging. ”

The EU models have differing specs.
You really think they’d make the facelift not have the same physical hardware for the UK market as it does for the EU market?

In any case the other links above all refer to the UK car…

You really think they’d make the facelift not have the same physical hardware for the UK market as it does for the EU market?

In any case the other links above all refer to the UK car…
Yes, they did make a different UK spec for the standard MG5 but I've seen various mentions of the new 5 having 11kw onboard (I actually looked because like others I thought "no way") so it's quite possible it will here also. Best to clear that with your dealer before buying I'd think.

Wouldn't 11kw be 3.6kw per phase. So once connected to your average domestic single phase charger you would loose 2/3 charging speed? Would have thought that's a retrograde step. 22kw 3ph yes, but I'd rather keep 7kw 1ph over 11kw 3ph for domestic charging.

Yes, they did make a different UK spec for the standard MG5 but I've seen various mentions of the new 5 having 11kw onboard (I actually looked because like others I thought "no way") so it's quite possible it will here also. Best to clear that with your dealer before buying I'd think.
Hrm. You may be right. The manual I have for the facelift was from this forum and mentions 11kW, however it might have been uploaded by a foreigner. I guess I’ll ask the dealer tomorrow…

There is no mention of 11kW charging on either the mg.co.uk website or on ev-database.uk

....so it might have it :ROFLMAO:

Yup. I was hoping it has it for when we go abroad (as well as for charging on 43kW chargers here in the UK to irritate the Zoelots :cool: )

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom