Charging cable choices…

Yup. I was hoping it has it for when we go abroad (as well as for charging on 43kW chargers here in the UK to irritate the Zoelots :cool: )
43kW...spoil yourself go for the 50kW.

To follow up, I can confirm definitively that the MG5 facelift can charge at 11kW — here it is on a 22kW charger using a 3 phase cable.

Attachments

• E89B5FB7-DA35-4E3D-919A-E08E91632199.png
    E89B5FB7-DA35-4E3D-919A-E08E91632199.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
Any recommendations on what 3 phase 22kw type 2 cable to get? Are they all of a muchness or are there howlers to avoid?

Any recommendations on what 3 phase 22kw type 2 cable to get? Are they all of a muchness or are there howlers to avoid?
Tesla one type 2 4m 22kw for £85.
Download the Tesla app, register and purchase through the app Tesla shop at the bottom of the app list>stay charged>on the road.
Screenshot_20230101-145617.png

Can anyone recommend a standard 3 pin charger make and supplier?
Do those that didn‘t get this with their MG run without one?
I think that everyone should have the 3 pin in the car just in case - do you agree?
MG are the only manufacturer that I know of not supplying this as standard - if indeed that is the case!

I think that everyone should have the 3 pin in the car just in case - do you agree?

Six years of EV driving, and apart from a brief period where an employer allowed us access to 3 pin points before installing proper EVSE I have never carried a "Granny" lead.

Gone are the days when there were public 3 pin charging points - everything is now proper EVSE or Rapids. Given the choice of a 7kW (or 11kW or even 3.6kW) over something giving 2.2kW there's no competition. I haven't used one in 3 years.

I only used mine whilst I was waiting for my Hypervolt to be installed. It's still nice to know it's there as a backup though.

Tesla one type 2 4m 22kw for £85.
Download the Tesla app, register and purchase through the app Tesla shop at the bottom of the app list>stay charged>on the road.
View attachment 14150
Oh wow awesome price thanks! Still within return window for my £130 one :)

Six years of EV driving, and apart from a brief period where an employer allowed us access to 3 pin points before installing proper EVSE I have never carried a "Granny" lead.

Gone are the days when there were public 3 pin charging points - everything is now proper EVSE or Rapids. Given the choice of a 7kW (or 11kW or even 3.6kW) over something giving 2.2kW there's no competition. I haven't used one in 3 years.
Not even when you go and visit your granny? :)

Not even when you go and visit your granny? :)

:ROFLMAO:

My only non-EV owning relative is half a mile away from some 28p/kWh 7kW charge points. If I am just doing a day trip I need the faster rate, if staying longer I'd not expect to pay less than that for it and with a 60kWh battery will not take it for free - I'd not expect to provide diesel on a reciprocal visit.

I only used mine whilst I was waiting for my Hypervolt to be installed. It's still nice to know it's there as a backup though.
I used the 3pin on the Hyundai ioniq I had previously when staying in a holiday cottage that was miles from the nearest charger.

Also the Hyundai one had a button to change to 8A or 6A if you were worried about the load on the socket. Not sure if the mg one does as haven’t even taken it out of the wrapping.

I believe that was only temporary on the MG4 due to 'shortages'.
I hope that is the case. As I mentioned, I think all EV’s need a 3 pin charger to be supplied as standard. Once again, dealers don’t seem to know the answer!

Wow. The plot thickens. From MG:

“Thank you for your email, however, we can only recommend 7 kWh for the model as per our published figures.”

So apparently using an 11kW charger isn’t recommended by them??!

Attachments

• A2CBD1FC-BEB0-41E1-A583-F7BD25B595F6.jpeg
    A2CBD1FC-BEB0-41E1-A583-F7BD25B595F6.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 819A2FC8-2383-4AFD-BBE4-B2E56FB2A2C6.jpeg
    819A2FC8-2383-4AFD-BBE4-B2E56FB2A2C6.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 59

“Thank you for your email, however, we can only recommend 7 kWh for the model as per our published figures.”

I do wonder if the person answering even knows anything about it, surely likely to be a C/S type person rather than someone from the engineering side?

I read that as do "what you want, I'm covering my ass"

I used the 3pin on the Hyundai ioniq I had previously when staying in a holiday cottage that was miles from the nearest charger.
Like wise !.
There are a lot of rural area's of Wales, when public chargers are very few and far between.
I used the Granny for about seven months on my VW PHEV back in 2016, before getting a wall box installed.
I then retired the Granny unit and only carried it, when we where going away for short breaks.
For this reason alone, it is this situation the Granny can be an absolute God send !.
We have now had two full BEV's after the PHEV and now the Granny units are pretty much used as holiday back up, or if the wall box develops a fault / failure.
Case in point, my brother has recently upgraded his previous ZS EV Gen 1 to the newer Gen 2 model.
After using the wall box for almost two years on his Gen 1 it then suddenly decided to stop working after having his new Gen 2 for only about 3 weeks.
He is blue badge holder and only has the one single mode of transport.
I received a text on Xmas eve, asking me for some advise, as he was in a bit of a flap TBH.
With only about 60 miles of range left remaining on the GOM and wanting to use the car over Xmas to visit family.
In his stressed state, he had completely forgotten about the Granny unit stored in boot..
Five minutes latter and he was up and charging once again, a lot slower but still charging !.
What a complete life line that was.
His wall box is still under warranty and a call to the company who had done his install, was diverted automatically and it was answered by the boss of the company on his mobile while on Xmas holiday !.
His company had closed down early for the Xmas break and would not be available to make a house call until the new year.
THIS IS A GOOD ENOUGH REASON ALONE, TO HAVE A GRANNY LEAD AS BACK UP !.
Not everybody is in striking distance of a public charging post or a rapid unit to grab a charge, but almost every home has access to a 13 Amp three pin socket outlet.
If you have a wall box at home, then yes your Granny lead is likely to find itself in early retirement.
BUT in this case ............ When you need one, BOY do you really need one !.
If your EV does not have one, then just BUY one, would be my strong advice.
Just ask yourself this question :- "If you found yourself in the same unlucky situation as my brother, what would you do then ?".
Owning an EV comes should come with an attitude that you should try and adopt, always have a back up plan !.
From a spare wheel, a type 2 public charging cable, to a 12 volt booster pack and a 10mm spanner, at the least 🤣 .

Just watch out for some of the (mostly chinese) ones that allow you to select 16A, I wouldn't even suggest selecting 13A given a lot of the proper ones are limited to 10A

Some even let you set 8A or 6A if you are worried about heating of a socket (The hyundai one did, the nissan and MG ones don't I don't think).

Now the car's going to charge very slowly on 6A but its better than a fire if you are staying someone with older electrics you're not sure about.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom