Charging cable locked in at Charging post?

Mitch AC DC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I`ve seen loads of posts/questions about the charging cable being locked in the car end! but have`nt noticed any about the cable being locked in the charging post socket??. It happened to me and the other guy on a 7kw POD POINT charger in Sainsburys car park. We were both finishing charging, unlocked cable at the car end, but couldn`t pull out the plug from the post end? { LOCKED SOLID }. Eventually freed it { about 15mins }, don`t know how or what we did {Red warning light? was a happy sight }. The other guy { polestar } beat a rapid retreat. l was not so lucky, turned car on, "SYSTEM FAULT" Battery went down to 12.1v, put it into reverse, camera came on, but car lifeless. probably about 15mins later, tried yet again, SYSTEM READY, car in reverse, l beat a relieved rapid retreat.
p.s. whilst trying to free cable, tried re-submitting charge to Pod point, only managed to freeze the APP on my phone screen, had to uninstall it to unfreeze it??

I`ve seen loads of posts/questions about the charging cable being locked in the car end! but have`nt noticed any about the cable being locked in the charging post socket??. It happened to me and the other guy on a 7kw POD POINT charger in Sainsburys car park. We were both finishing charging, unlocked cable at the car end, but couldn`t pull out the plug from the post end? { LOCKED SOLID }. Eventually freed it { about 15mins }, don`t know how or what we did {Red warning light? was a happy sight }. The other guy { polestar } beat a rapid retreat. l was not so lucky, turned car on, "SYSTEM FAULT" Battery went down to 12.1v, put it into reverse, camera came on, but car lifeless. probably about 15mins later, tried yet again, SYSTEM READY, car in reverse, l beat a relieved rapid retreat.
p.s. whilst trying to free cable, tried re-submitting charge to Pod point, only managed to freeze the APP on my phone screen, had to uninstall it to unfreeze it??
Happened to me in Costco. Had to ring the service number to get them to release it.

... We were both finishing charging, unlocked cable at the car end, but couldn`t pull out the plug from the post end? { LOCKED SOLID }. Eventually freed it { about 15mins }, ...
Should have removed it from the car after unlocking it, that frees the post end.
Pod points operate the old Last in first out philosophy, plug in post plug in car, unplug car, unplug post.

I have seen your scenario several times at PodPoints, one person even yanked at the post end so hard to remove it, which he eventually did, that it knocked out both posts completely, all went red.

The 15 minutes also coincides with the time to stop charging/disconnect if a charge hasn't been confirmed, so the post thought it was a new connection.

Sorry for above if you did unplug at car first, but you didn't say so in your post. :)

Last edited:
Should have removed it from the car after unlocking it, that frees the post end.
Pod points operate the old Last in first out philosophy, plug in post plug in car, unplug car, unplug post.

Sorry for above if you did unplug at car first, but you didn't say so in your post. :)

I have seen your scenario several times at PodPoints, one person even yanked at the post end so hard to remove it, which he eventually did, that it knocked out both posts completely, all went red.
I normally plug in car last, and unplug car first, didn`t make any difference this time!
Have to confess there was a lot of panic stricken tugging. And eventually a red-light { don`t think we broke it } :whistle:

Pod-Point helpline say to put socket back in car and then lock and unlock the car 4 or 5 times to reset everything. Worked for the person on the post next to me who I was trying to help out. :).

l was not so lucky, turned car on, "SYSTEM FAULT" Battery went down to 12.1v, put it into reverse, camera came on, but car lifeless.

A 10mm spanner comes in handy in this situation, turn the car off/disconnect it from the charger, use the spanner to loosen the negative terminal of the 12v battery. Disconnect the terminal wait about 30seconds or so and reconnect it. (Don't forget to re-tighten it, don't want a loose connection!)

Removing the 12v supply will shutdown all the cars ECU's and usually clears the problem.

You will however likely get a whole host of alarms/warnings on the dash upon next starting the car, this seems scary at first. I think it's down to a lack of sensor data following the loss of power to the various systems. Last time I did it all the errors cleared within about 30seconds of driving. (The car does need to be moving for some of them to clear)

A 10mm spanner comes in handy in this situation, turn the car off/disconnect it from the charger, use the spanner to loosen the negative terminal of the 12v battery. Disconnect the terminal wait about 30seconds or so and reconnect it. (Don't forget to re-tighten it, don't want a loose connection!)

Removing the 12v supply will shutdown all the cars ECU's and usually clears the problem.

You will however likely get a whole host of alarms/warnings on the dash upon next starting the car, this seems scary at first. I think it's down to a lack of sensor data following the loss of power to the various systems. Last time I did it all the errors cleared within about 30seconds of driving. (The car does need to be moving for some of them to clear)
Have now considered fitting Quick release battery handles { horse bolting locking stable door :ROFLMAO:, something like that :unsure: }

GridServe have told me to lock and unlock the car 4-5 times and it works, cable released 😀

Happened to me at a SMOOV/Shell 7kW charger this week. Called the helpline and they reset which released the cable. Irritating but just one of those things. The SMOOV app allows you to connect but then doesnt allow you to disconnect - it pretends you arent charging. So the only option is to pull the car's release cable, but that doesnt prompt the cable to be released from the charger

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom