Gen1 Locking charging cable.

alekc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I was under assumption that if I am charging the car and I lock it, then the locking cable should be locked as well preventing theft. I've tried it out today (with the granny charger), and it was not the case at all. I was able to pull out the charging cable without any effort from the car while locked and under charge.

Am I missing something, or should I query the dealer about this?

Cheers.

When you insert the type 2 plug into the charging port, as you press the lock button on the fob, you should hear the locking pin engage into a square slot, located on the underside of the type 2 gun.
This should be pretty much instant and should be needed before the car starts receiving a charge from the Granny.
It’s a safety feature obviously.
Usually, if the pin fails to engage then the charging process should not commence.
You should not be able to remove the type 2 gun when the car is charging.
Does it do the same on a wall box or on a public charger ??.
The car somehow believes that the lock plunger is constantly locked or the locking pin has broken ???.

I usually lock via button on the door handle, but this should not affect the functionality. It is a granny charger supplied by MG (I will try later a public one to see if there is any differences). I do hear a sound on locking & unlocking the car coming from the area of the charging connection.

Looking with the torchlight at the connection, nothing comes out of the hole at 3 o clock in the socket.

I have a gen1, never used the granny charger. However, when charging, I can lock the door via the button on the door, or the fob, the result is the same. I hear a brief whizzing noise which is the lock engaging, can't then remove the charging gun until the car is unlocked by wither method.

Meanwhile found a solution :D

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-24 at 10.14.28.jpeg

There's a release cable under the bonnet for the charging socket lock, make sure it's not stuck in the pulled position, maybe give it a tug or two to release it if it is.

Yeah, I tried that (as far as I felt comfortable given how flimsly looking it is) but no luck so far. I might raise it during the next service, can't be too bothered travelling 17 miles to the nearest MG for such thing (especially since the lock over solves this issue brilliantly)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom