Charging cable on the MG4 Trophy

StuartT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi. My very first EV arrives on Tuesday - the MG4 Trophy (23 reg) The dealer tells me it will come with a type 2 cable, but I am not sure if this will be 3 phase, does anyone know?

Reason I ask is that I understand 3 phase cables will charge the car faster at public charging points. So if the car doesn't come with one, I need to order one.

Type 2 cable will handle single and three phase too

Also... as you likely have a Phase 2 car, type 2 will be limited to 7Kwh. CCS will give you greater charging speeds at public chargers.

Last edited:
Unless you're getting your car via a lease scheme then it'll (most likely) come with a single phase, 32A (7kW) Type 2 charge cable.

Given that the max any MG4 can charge at is 11KW, is it worth getting a 3-phase 32A Type 2 cable?
Would a 3-phase 16A Type 2 not be more suitable, as spending more on the 32A one is just wasted money?
Or am I missing/misunderstanding something about electricity/public chargers? :ROFLMAO:

Given that the max any MG4 can charge at is 11KW, is it worth getting a 3-phase 32A Type 2 cable?
Would a 3-phase 16A Type 2 not be more suitable, as spending more on the 32A one is just wasted money?
Or am I missing/misunderstanding something about electricity/public chargers? :ROFLMAO:
Phase 2 MG only has 7Kwh charging onboard, AC

Type 2 cable will handle single and three phase too
Are you sure? I thought type 2 cables came in two varieties; single phase and three phase.
Unless you're getting your car via a lease scheme then it'll (most likely) come with a single phase, 32A (7kW) Type 2 charge cable.
yes, I am getting it via leasing. Does that mean I won't get a cable? The dealer seemed to think I would
11kW? I read that the MG4 can handle up to 175kW?
Phase 2 MG only has 7Kwh charging onboard, AC
by phase 2, are you meaning 3 phase? (sorry, I'm a bit confused here)

by phase 2, are you meaning 3 phase? (sorry, I'm a bit confused here)
He means MY23/new facelift MG4s (ie ones with the rear wiper, which now only come with 7KW AC charging)
11kW? I read that the MG4 can handle up to 175kW?
I'm talking about AC. MY22 models came with 11KW AC ability (incorrectly, car was advertised as having 7KW AC charging initially). As above, the new model, MY23 model, has 7KW AC charging (correctly).
DC charging it can handle up to 135KW officially.

He means MY23/new facelift MG4s (ie ones with the rear wiper, which now only come with 7KW AC charging)

I'm talking about AC. MY22 models came with 11KW AC ability (incorrectly, car was advertised as having 7KW AC charging initially). As above, the new model, MY23 model, has 7KW AC charging (correctly).
DC charging it can handle up to 135KW officially.
Ah! Ok. Thanks. I understand now.

How come the newer version of the car has a lower charging rate? (11kW down to 7kW)? Seems odd

yes, I am getting it via leasing. Does that mean I won't get a cable? The dealer seemed to think I would
You've interpreted my post 180° from what I actually said. ;)

Lease cars tend to come with both a granny cable and a Type 2 cable. All I was saying was that the Type 2 cable will be single phase 7kW.

How come the newer version of the car has a lower charging rate? (11kW down to 7kW)? Seems odd
UK spec MG4s have always supposed to be 7kW AC charging (single phase). EU models were 11kW (3 phase) but MG built the first batch (MY22 / Phase 1) cars with a 3 phase onboard charger for the LR variants (SE LR and Trophy LR). For MY23 / Phase 2 they've reverted back to what was originally specified. (They have to save the cost of the 3rd rear headrest and rear wiper somewhere). ;)

I'm collecting a Trophy tomorrow, not on lease, which will only come with a 13A 'granny' cable. I have bought a three phase 11 kW cable since it is not much more expensive than a 7kW.
The manual indicates that it it will charge at 11kW but I suspect the manual is wrong.

It's a simple check - look at the charge port on the car. If there are pins in the L2 and L3 holes then it's 3-phase, else it's single phase. :)

Possibly to make up for the costs of putting a rear wiper, rear headrest, bigger wheels etc on the newer model.
The MG4 was only ever supposed to come with 7KW AC charging for right-hand drive UK/Ireland models, according to promotional material. It seems like a screw up at the start that they were putting 11KW AC charging (not the only screwup, eg rear privacy glass in SE models), and just kept going with it, until the newer model.

Type 2 cables can be single or three phase, easiest way to know is checking number of pins, if L2 and L3 are missing then it's single phase, regardless of cable type the phase 2 (second generation) MG4 has only an in-built single phase charger, hence 7kwAC max v's previous gen 11kwAC - 3 phase in-built charger.
It's unfortunately confusing that people/MG seem to have decided to call the first and second generation Phase1 & 2 instead of ver or gen, it has nothing to do with phase in an electrical sense
As for max charging, the MG4 can be charged at 7kwAC (newer model) But it can be charged at up to 150kw DC (some say only 135??)
DC are typically garage type high speed chargers, but many things dictate the actual rate you will achieve, plenty info online about this - SOC, batt temp, ambient temp, charger loading and a few more...etc

MG refer to the models as MY22 and MY23 from what I've seen. Or at least that's what some dealers refer to them as.
Only on here have I seen people (confusingly) refer to the different models as Phase1 or Phase2.

I'm obviously a slow texter, a half dozen replies in while I was typing 😂

MG refer to the models as MY22 and MY23 from what I've seen. Or at least that's what some dealers refer to them as.
Only on here have I seen people (confusingly) refer to the different models as Phase1 or Phase2.
Fair point.
Another thing I spotted on both UK and Ire MG sites is they still spec a two tone roof option on the Trophy, they're a bit slow on their update to remove this

Type 2 cables can be single or three phase, easiest way to know is checking number of pins, if L2 and L3 are missing then it's single phase, regardless of cable type the phase 2 (second generation) MG4 has only an in-built single phase charger, hence 7kwAC max v's previous gen 11kwAC - 3 phase in-built charger.
It's unfortunately confusing that people/MG seem to have decided to call the first and second generation Phase1 & 2 instead of ver or gen, it has nothing to do with phase in an electrical sense
As for max charging, the MG4 can be charged at 7kwAC (newer model) But it can be charged at up to 150kw DC (some say only 135??)
DC are typically garage type high speed chargers, but many things dictate the actual rate you will achieve, plenty info online about this - SOC, batt temp, ambient temp, charger loading and a few more...etc
Type2 cables can also be 16A or 32A.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel