Charging cables included with car

ernie hudds

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My dealership has said the first 1000 cars will come with a normal Type 2 charging cable - but after that it will be granny cables.
That is massively disappointing news - afterall, who charges their car at home with a 3 pin plug, its just not practical. So it looks like I'll be forking out for something which should really be included with car.

Can anyone else confirm the same and if so - where is the best place to source a cable without spending silly money.

My dealership has said the first 1000 cars will come with a normal Type 2 charging cable - but after that it will be granny cables.
That is massively disappointing news - afterall, who charges their car at home with a 3 pin plug, its just not practical. So it looks like I'll be forking out for something which should really be included with car.

Can anyone else confirm the same and if so - where is the best place to source a cable without spending silly money.
When I got my ZS EV Mk1 last year it came with the granny cable. This was very useful as I hadn’t had a home charger fitted and therefore I was able to charge at home until one was fitted. If you had a type 2 charging cable what would you plug it into If you wanted to charge at home?

When the charger was fitted it came with its own type 2 cable though I could have got one without the cable. I did buy a type 2 cable for around £140 so that I could use it in supermarkets etc. To be honest I have not used it for a while and it sits in the boot.

The granny charger was also useful when we are on holiday and can plug it into an appropriate source.

Personally I am glad that the MG 4 will have the granny charger.

I got my type2 from Amazon- it has not given me any problems at all.

This is the one that I bought:
Amazon product ASIN B07P786L2F

Lots of people will need both Type 2 and Granny. I'd like both supplied, but if only one I'll take the more expensive Granny thank you very much. If you have bought an earlier ZS or 5 it will probably have come with a granny so if you have bought a type 2 you could just keep it.

While we are at it, the car should come with a v2l adaptor too.

Yes we can buy them from the dealer at big mark up or obtain a 3rd party one but there would be economies of scale in supplying to all users.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back