Charging cover gets water filled

stevegus

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
MG LR March 23. 11kw 3ph capability.

The flap when opened for charging gets a pool of water at the bottom on the recess.

There is a hole that looks to be for drainage that seems to be firmly blanked off 20mm or so down the hole.

Seems like an issue in the plastic moulding and i might have to run a drill through it.

Anyone else have water pooling in the charge socket recess?

Mine was charging last night with wind blowing rain onto the charge port area - when I unplugged this morning there was no pool of water. 🤷‍♂️

I've not looked closely at my charge port though so I can't say whether that hole is clear through, though I imagine it is.

The flap when opened for charging gets a pool of water at the bottom on the recess.

There is a hole that looks to be for drainage that seems to be firmly blanked off 20mm or so down the hole.

Seems like an issue in the plastic moulding and i might have to run a drill through it.

That hole is definitely needed to drain the port. Check that nothing is stuck down it

Hi I had the same problem about two months ago went back to the dealer for a couple of hours they said drainage hole was blocked been fine since .

Do not fix this your self, the thought of running a drill bit through it make me cringe. Talk abaut how to void the warranty. Take it to the dealer and let MG pay for it.

I wouldn't run a drill through it anyway, what you're feeling may be a sharp bend in the drain tube and drilling through it may drain the water into who knows where, the boot maybe ? I would try pushing a flexible wire through if anything. But, as said above, best solution is let the dealers do it.

I tried poking bits of wire into the drain hole went in about 30mm then felt like it was solid
Was very reluctant to force any further as you have no idea where any water is going to end up.
When water is lapping at the bung in the charging port while on my home charger it soon makes
you think best let the dealer sort this out !.

I'm pretty sure I've had this too, not got round to checking the drain though.

Attachments

• IMG_20231203_124157.jpg
    IMG_20231203_124157.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 59

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member