Charging Curiosity

newforest21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have had my HS PHEV (a used vehicle) for almost three months - having rid myself of a failed ZS EV.
I do almost all of my charging via a home installed Pod Point smart charger - and once used to the small quirks now have no problems with it.

I plug the HS in, lock the vehicle, the charging plugs locks and makes the short whirring lock sound - the car then charges to the pre-scheduled time - usually early the next morning.

The curiosity - on the odd occasion the plug locking sound repeats a second and sometimes a third time - the dashboard information shows as it should. On checking the next morning no charge has occured.
I have found should this repeat sounding occur I need to unplug, wait a few moments and plug in and lock again ensuring there is only one locking sound.

No real problem with this just wondered if anyone has experience of it and if there is a cure/reason.

Have to say I am more than happy with the HS PHEV - chalk and cheese compared to the ZS EV.

You will find that the plug lock will open again if the plug is not a snug fit or the cable to the pug is heavy. If you hold the plug in place when locking the car you will not get the unlocking.

Same here. When the plugs lock and unlock several times upon locking the car then I know it will most likely won’t charge when set on a schedule as it happened before. Now I’m wise enough to unlock pull plug out and re-insert. Lock car and ensure the plug only makes the locking sound once.

I have exactly this problem on my new HS PHEV. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed that the plug lock needs to be replaced. They have ordered a new one for me and it is now expected at the end of the month. They will then need the car for 2 whole days to fit it!
This is a frustrating fault as the dashboard display shows that the car is charging, however in reality it is not.

This might help (HS PHEV):
1. Park you car close enough to your power supply to ensure the charger cable sits on the ground.
2. Plug the charger cable into your wall socket/power supply - but keep it switched off.
3. Plug the charger cable into your car - make sure that cable is sitting on the ground, not hanging in mid air.
4. Get a hold of your car keys in one hand.
5. Lift the plugged-in charger plug (at the car), slightly, and hold it there while pressing the lock button on your car key.
6. You should then clearly hear the charging cable mechanism activate its lock, just after the car lock engages.
7. Pull the plug slightly to confirm that it won’t come out, and it is now locked.
8. Switch on the power supply at the wall socket/power supply.
9. Go back to the car and look through the window at the dashboard - do not unlock the car.
10. You will see the dash message saying Charging, but wait for a few seconds and that message will change to include the amount of time needed to complete the charge - that message is the final confirmation that charging is taking place.

The lifting of the car plug before locking it helps the charger socket plug-lock engage. I’ve been doing it this way for six months and, in my experience, it is the only way to guarantee that plug lock engages every time.
You must remember to do steps 1-7 before switching on at the wall. If it is switched on before steps 1-7, the car plug lock mechanism gets out of synch and you must unplug everything and start again.

Sorry if that’s a bit long-winded, but I hope it helps some of new members out there.🤞

There's a locking pin and often it doesn't lock and retries. I tend to give the socket a gentle push if I hear it more than twice. At times I've had to unplug and plug it in again

See my previous reply, that is how I do it (with 100% success).
lol too much hassle. Mine comes on a 21:29 and that's when I have Alexa reminder. I plug it in and works 9 of 10 times :p I have another car to plug in too..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom