Charging flap frozen

speedytweedy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
With the recent cold weather I have been unable to charge my MG4 due to not being able to open the flap to get to the charge port where it has frozen.

Has anyone else had this problem and have a fix to stop it from freezing?

I am unable to put the car into shelter or a garage overnight.

Just so you know - this isn't something unique to the MG4, nor even to EVs. :)

Wee on it. ;)
That's what we used to do on frozen door locks back in the day when we came out of the pub.

👮‍♂️hello, hello sunny boy and what do you think you are doing?
Blah blah blah car lock
Peeing on the locks?
Blah blah frees them making it easier to open
Good one, tell that to the magistrate in the morning sonny boy..he likes your type of drunken fellow peeing on cars...come along now

Kia EV6 owners were reporting this morning that their door handles had frozen closed so they couldn't get in their cars. I'm not disappointed that the MG4 has real handles!

Our Evoque has hidden motorised handles.
Impressively, some horrible Scottish winters have failed to beat them.
There are YouTube videos of the handles breaking through serious ice.

I had the opposite problem . I had my charging port connected overnight for a scheduled charge with the flap open. Whilst it all worked well there was a lot of sleet and snow followed by a deep freeze. when i uncoupled the charger there was so much ice around the edges the flap would not close. I used my hands to melt the ice enough for it to be pushed off the car. Ten minutes later i found the real reason for a heated steering wheel. mmmmm toasty.

👮‍♂️hello, hello sunny boy and what do you think you are doing?
Blah blah blah car lock
Peeing on the locks?
Blah blah frees them making it easier to open
Good one, tell that to the magistrate in the morning sonny boy..he likes your type of drunken fellow peeing on cars...come along now
Never saw a copper out on a cold frosty night back then. ;)

I had this problem this morning when I attempted to open the flap to charge the car up for the first time, tried luke warm water, but to no avail, phoned the garage up, they where mystified as well !!! eventually AA came out, they tried warm water as well, and it did finally open, it was lumps of ice on rubber seal inside the flap, it's working fine now, find out tomorrow morning.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back