Charging from a granny lead, dangers?🔥🤔

I've been charging with the granny lead on a fused outdoor extension, plugged into the kitchen socket circuit (dedicated) overnight, after our dinner-making usage has stopped.

Our wiring is 2 years old, has 100a breaker, and I turn the charger off if we use the kettle. Everything else on that circuit is off. There has been no heat in the extension or the plugs. The kitchen has a smoke detector. The smart meter is showing 2kwh pull from the charger, the car is showing 1.87kwh charging at the car.

It's costing around £20 for 200 miles usage for the week. Off peak at 10p/kWh it would cost less than £7.

This is only a temporary measure until we get the OHME installed. In which case I'll switch over to Intelligent Octopus tariff, and charge with the 7kw charger in the 6 hours off peak.

My day rate will increase by 20%, but we are fairly low home users, and can timeshift the washing machine to off-peak to save on that.
My day rate on intelligent changed yesterday to 38p KW so not much over the cap now, night dropped to 7.5p

My day rate on intelligent changed yesterday to 38p KW so not much over the cap now, night dropped to 7.5p
That's decent that, I have heard that the rates should go even lower come June, I used to work in the industry but don't envy anyone that does currently - except the BigBosses of course 💰💰

When I last looked it was 40p day, 10p night so it's heading in the right direction hopefully.

Does the intelligent octopus work with the MG4. When I looked yesterday it wasn’t listed as one of the cars supported?

According to the comments made on last night's podcast it should be in the near future together with the Zappi charger being added to Octopus's preferred chargers. Unless I heard it wrong.

Does the intelligent octopus work with the MG4. When I looked yesterday it wasn’t listed as one of the cars supported?

I don't think it does directly with the MG4, you can however set the 'scheduled charging' to work during the same off peak hours, or if you have an OHME charger it will work directly with that.

The main functionality though, is essentially available via scheduled charging on the iSmart app or via the cars charging screen.

I am in the process of getting a Zappi Charger installed. I went for that one as I have Solar Panels installed so was hoping that I could use some of that energy to charge the car. My installation is 2 weeks today. Northern Powergrid was out yesterday to do a survey and check the fuse rating of the main fuse in the meter box. He said everything was fine it had an 80 amp fuse in and no issues. So hopefully everything will go smoothly on the day.

I haven’t got an MG4 yet but when I do at least I will be up and running for charging at home.

I am in the process of getting a Zappi Charger installed. I went for that one as I have Solar Panels installed so was hoping that I could use some of that energy to charge the car. My installation is 2 weeks today. Northern Powergrid was out yesterday to do a survey and check the fuse rating of the main fuse in the meter box. He said everything was fine it had an 80 amp fuse in and no issues. So hopefully everything will go smoothly on the day.

I haven’t got an MG4 yet but when I do at least I will be up and running for charging at home.
I also have the Zappi. Set the charging schedule on the Zappi app not the car or iSmart app.
If you're getting the Trophy you can also set the charging percentage on the car or iSmart app.

Only you if you have an Ohme and supposed to include zappis soon

So I take it from that you can get the intelligent tariff but just operate the charging in the way you are suggesting. I noticed that the rates have dropped from when I looked the other day.

With intelligent you don't use the car scheduling at all, it all has to be done through the Ohme app (soon to be zappi also)
The charger talks to octopus and all the work is done in the background, you just say a time when you need it charged by.

Hopefully by the time I get the car they have included the Zappi charger. I have booked the installation through Octopus so you would have thought they would include it.

The Zappi support is planned by Octopus; earlier this year they said they had it scheduled for May, though that could change. If you search the Zappi forums you'll find discussions and Octopus representatives on there. Apparently the Zappi end of the process was ready last year, now waiting for Octopus to do their bit.

Hopefully by the time I get the car they have included the Zappi charger. I have booked the installation through Octopus so you would have thought they would include it.
It's all to do with the integration, my energi and octopus have been working on it for a while, octopus definitely want it.
I did hear somewhere they were looking at next month

The Zappi support is planned by Octopus; earlier this year they said they had it scheduled for May, though that could change. If you search the Zappi forums you'll find discussions and Octopus representatives on there. Apparently the Zappi end of the process was ready last year, now waiting for Octopus to do their bit.
Beat me too it YouTube ⭐

You'll not find any official information re. Zappi/Octopus on the podcast, just people conversing about it. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back