Charging issue

Laurie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
On 3 different occasions I've plugged my car in to charge - 1st time it only charged to 66%, 2nd to 85% and last night not at all.

Anyone have any ideas why it would randomly stop charging?

Yes I made sure it was charging when I plugged it in and no power didnt go off.

I would start with the basics and eliminate them if possible
Same cable?
Same charger?
No debris in cable or socket?
No scheduled time?
Temperature (battery overheat protection)?

What EVSE (charge point) do you have and do you have any timers or schedules set on the car or EVSE?

Same cable
Same charger
When i realised this morning as I was leaving, plugged it back in to see and it was charging (fat lot of good then)

I dont schedule charges, just charge as I need. The app doesnt work for us in Barbados. Can't even download it.

Temp/protection...how do I figure that out if Im not watching it charge?

Same cable
Same charger
When i realised this morning as I was leaving, plugged it back in to see and it was charging (fat lot of good then)

I dont schedule charges, just charge as I need. The app doesnt work for us in Barbados. Can't even download it.

Temp/protection...how do I figure that out if Im not watching it charge?
Do you have another cable to try
Do you have another charger to try
I would have thought you know your local temperature to tell if its 📛... that is all you can go by given you can't access the app to read messages

As stated its all about eliminating the probable causes.....

Do you have another cable to try
Do you have another charger to try
I would have thought you know your local temperature to tell if its 📛... that is all you can go by given you can't access the app to read messages

As stated its all about eliminating the probable causes.....
I only ever charge at night, so anywhere from 28 to 30 degrees, 30 is pushing it. It's Barbados, not Africa so pretry standard temp year round.

What EVSE (charge point) do you have and do you have any timers or schedules set on the car or EVSE?

Attachments

• IMG-20230314-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20230314-WA0007.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 94
Update - got home at 4, plugged in. Came down to check progress at 8. I plugged in at 30%, it has stopped at 49%. I've unplugged and reconnected and it is charging again, for how long is the question.

Laurie, it sounds like a signalling issue. Have you powered down and up your charging station? Could you test on any other chargers? Could you test another cable?....apologies but you need to eliminate external factors before considering if its the car

Laurie, it sounds like a signalling issue. Have you powered down and up your charging station? Could you test on any other chargers? Could you test another cable?....apologies but you need to eliminate external factors before considering if its the car
No as had no clue I could even do that. Ive contacted the company that sold me the car and installed the charger so hoping for some answers soon.

Thanks for your input though

Could it be adding only a set amount on each charge? On each occasion do you know the starting charge level and how much was added?

Looks like you have a Rolec Wallpod. Anyone with the same charger able to help?

Do you have CPL adaptors for your WiFi by any chance ? Its a known issue with the MG EV's. They can conflict and prevent charging. If you do have them unplug them and see if that sorts it.

Could it be adding only a set amount on each charge? On each occasion do you know the starting charge level and how much was added?
Well it stopped at 49 when i checked it at 8pm last night. Plugged it back in, sat and waited for 10 mins to see if it stopped, it didn't. Of course this morning it's at 54% having been plugged in all night.

Ive contacted the company as this is an issue I don't know how to fix.

Will let ya'll know what it was

On 3 different occasions I've plugged my car in to charge - 1st time it only charged to 66%, 2nd to 85% and last night not at all.

Anyone have any ideas why it would randomly stop charging?

Yes I made sure it was charging when I plugged it in and no power didnt go off.
I had the same problem last night, removed V2L cable, unlocked car plugged in charger but didn’t seem to go home completely after locking then unlocked and locked again plugged it in, then checked this morning, not charged😟

my zappi started doing similar, would start charging, i would leave it and when I came back it had only put in a few KW, sometimes it said the charge was complete even though the battery was only part charged, turned out it was a software problem with the charger and the charger software was not updating as it should. Zappi sent a new charger which resolved the issue.

Update: despite me using my cable to charge by my brother without any issues, they said it was my cable and replaced it and it charges no problem, HOWEVER! THIS morning I had a massive fault warning - take car to dealer and it would not move an inch. I got out the car and locked it to turn it off, twice, 2nd time I waited about 2 mins, when I got back in the fault was gone, however it is going to the workshop today because I am LESS THAN impressed right now as it is 4 months old.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back