Charging issues after Manufacturer Software Update

stoppy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
I have just got back from a scheduled software update, the MG4 SE LR had stopped charging on 3 - 5KW charge sessions at home, charging for 1 minute exactly before shutting off, this was replicated at several standard charging stations in the local area. It did however charge at Instavolt and BP engery stations with Fast Charge. So all was good if just a tad expensive.

After the service update, the car would still only charge for 1 minute at the dealership, advised its now with MG technical, I stopped off on the way back to top up at instavolt, and low and behold it no longer chargers on the Rapid Charge now.

Has anyone else had this issue >? Im seriously low on miles/.

Attachments

• 29dccf9e-e442-45bf-ab6b-63e29b2303bd.jpeg
    29dccf9e-e442-45bf-ab6b-63e29b2303bd.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 79
Can you make it back to the dealer ? If not I would get it recovered and ask for a loan/courtesy car

Might this be your problem ?

Ok, Foxy is fixed and working again! Actually, she was already fixed last time, the problem I had turned out to be a configuration issue.

I've never used a schedule on the car and always set a schedule on my car charger. For some reason - possibly due to the defaults? - when the car had its software updates a night-time only schedule was set on the car. This meant that when I got back from the garage and tested it on my wallbox and granny charger, it would not charge. All my subsequent tests were also in the daytime as it happened.

I feel a bit of a fool to have forgotten that this functionality existed but I never go into that settings area on the charge screen, so I did not check it - when it was mentioned I discounted it because I never set a schedule on the car. If only I had tried an overnight charge, I would have discovered this earlier, but I didn't do that because the car wasn't charging when I was testing it!

Anyway, all is well that ends well, I can add Foxy to the list of cars that have the AC charging problem properly fixed by the new CCU and the associated software updates.

Something for other people to check though - when you get your car upgraded/updated, is there a charge schedule set on the car that you did not expect to be there.

Can you make it back to the dealer ? If not I would get it recovered and ask for a loan/courtesy car
currently charging for 1 minute at a time. trying to get to 25 miles range

Might this be your problem ?
I've just set the schedule up, for 1 hour on the granny charger. But it has still tripped out after a minute.

Does your car have a rear wiper or not? Of no then your car may have coincidentally encountered the CCU failure issue. See the ZAPPI thread from which the above quote from @tsedge was taken.

Does your car have a rear wiper or not? Of no then your car may have coincidentally encountered the CCU failure issue. See the ZAPPI thread from which the above quote from @tsedge was taken.
It doesn't Ill advise the Dealer dealing with it

If you have an MG granny charger the LEDs should tell you what the fault is. (See base.)
Ill check the unit later. Ive set another Schedule for 17:00 for 1 hour. Ill see if it auto starts this time.

Update,

It charges on the Granny charger, when the schedule is setup. Im going to see if it does the entire hour I scheduled. But we are 10 mins and 2 miles added.

made it to 32 miles, didnt like the crossover from 23:59 to 00:00

Restarted the schedule from 6:00 to 8:00 should be enough to get to the garage and leave it there.

Mine is doing the same. I get a max of 10 mins then it stops.
If it's doing it on AC charging and you have a phase 1 long range with the 3 phase charging have a read of the Zappi thread as it sounds like you may have the CCU failure...

If it's doing it on AC charging and you have a phase 1 long range with the 3 phase charging have a read of the Zappi thread as it sounds like you may have the CCU failure...
First of the SRs that came into the country rather than long range.

Mine charged without issue a couple of nights ago. Fingers crossed that it remains good. 🤞

I have mine booked in for 19th April. I have to go to Aberdeen on 20th April. I will be on about 11% charge when I get there. If Caliban won't charge, I'll be in deep doo-doo.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back