Charging MG4 Trophy LR, how much do you get at home in 4 hrs?

dwoop

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

This is MG4 specific - just trying to decide what type of charger to go for at home, external 13A socket or 7kW EV charger? Would like to know what others experience is.

I have an MG4 Trophy long-range (not extended).

Currently use the 13A charger that came with the car, looks like I usually charge from about 40% to 80% every other evening which is usually completed between 2am and 4am on the granny charger (6-8 hours).

I could get an EV charger (7kW) reasonably economically and go onto Octopus Go (NOT intelligent) and have 4 hours of cheap electricity between 12:30 and 4:30.

My question is, how much charge would this window of charging give me?
Would it cover my usual use?
What is the max charge I would get at the cheap rate, in terms of percentage of charge?

Cheers
dwoop

I get approx 24kWh into the car between 12.30 and 4.30. Charge into car is approx 6kW from a EO mini Pro. I am on octopus go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not use Octopus Intelligent Go? You don't have to worry about the car not being recognised by Octopus if you install a recognised charger.

I have the MG4 Extended range with the Zappi charger and it works good for me. Just plug the car in and that's it - it charges to my set voltage (80%) by my set time (08:00) without any faffing about.

Before that i had Octopus Go and with the Zappi, it would add around 38% between 00:30 and 04:30. Bear in mind that the battery is 74kWh so roughly 28 kWh charge added. Which would make sense, 4 hrs x 7kW charger.

I guess the equation has to also factor in the (installed) cost of the charge point.

Standard 30p per kWh ... add 24 kWh every 2nd night = 84 kWh average per week = £25.20 per week.

Go at 7.5p per kWh ... same adding = 84 x .075 = £6.30 per week ... saving of £18.90 per week.

Let's say the installed cost of a charge point is £1000 then it would take about a year or so to reach the break even point. If you charge less on average then it would take longer, and vice versa.

Let's say the installed cost of a charge point is £1000 then it would take about a year or so to reach the break even point. If you charge less on average then it would take longer, and vice versa.
The thing is that the cost of the charger installation is more than paid for by the savings on petrol and diesel in the first year, so don't need to factor it into to ongoing costs.

The thing is that the cost of the charger installation is more than paid for by the savings on petrol and diesel in the first year, so don't need to factor it into to ongoing costs.
Just realised you're the OP ... so do you really already have the car or not? If you do then the cost of fossil fuels is irrelevant as you've already gained that benefit.

Just realised you're the OP ... so do you really already have the car or not? If you do then the cost of fossil fuels is irrelevant as you've already gained that benefit.
Haha - yes I am the OP and I already have the car! So I WILL be saving all that petrol and diesel money over the first year, whatever I do for charging, so I don't feel the cost of the installation is a consideration any more - if I get a fancy charger, the cost is covered within a year by the petrol savings, if I don't get a fancy charger, I'll save a few hundred but pay more per unit.

So, I think it mostly comes down to convenience, hence my query about how much benefit I will get from the eV charger.

I have a "dumb" 7kw Chargemaster wall box (all free courtesy of Renault when buying a Zoe in 2019).

It pulls a steady 6.4kw, so in four hours I get around 25.6kw which is equivalent to around 41.5% of battery and 75 miles of range for me in Winter (at the moment and the way I drive).

The good thing about a 7kw wall charger is that on the rare occasions you may need to, it can fully charge your car overnight.

I nearly joined Octopus Energy but I can't get Intelligent Octopus Go as the wall box is "dumb" and the car (MG4) is incompatable. I have suggested to Octopus that they should up there standard Octopus GO hours to match the British Gas EV tariff which is 8.95p per kw for 5 hours (25% longer !!). EDF also advertise 5 hours of off-peak electricity at just 8p per kWh every night with their GoElectric Overnight tariff.

If you don't or can't get Intelligent Octopus Go I'd suggest doing your sums and perhaps switching to a 5 hour cheap slot or longer if you do a lot of miles.

Last edited:
EDF also advertise 5 hours of off-peak electricity at just 8p per kWh every night with their GoElectric Overnight tariff
My current 2 year fixed rate Go Electric deal with EDF ends in April 2024.
My how things have changed, I remember thinking that the deal they offered was expensive at the time 🤣.
The five hours of off peak rate at less than 5p / kWh now feels like an absolute bargain !.
The day rate of just under 40p / kWh is spiteful though !.
The “so called” new cheap rate off peak deals with EDF are almost double what I am paying at the moment 🙄.

I just prefer having the more powerful charger with a tethered cable and the Zappi allows me to optionally charge via the solar I have (that is if I ever see the sun again!)

I've a 'half speed' 3.6kW charger installed, it adds nearly exactly 5% per hour, i.e 20% between 12:30am and 4:30. A normal 7kW charger should therefore add about 40%.
Yep that matches what I get :) trophy long range on 7kw charger gets me almost exactly 10% an hour. So 40% in the 4 hours of octopus go cheap rate.

I guess the equation has to also factor in the (installed) cost of the charge point.

Standard 30p per kWh ... add 24 kWh every 2nd night = 84 kWh average per week = £25.20 per week.

Go at 7.5p per kWh ... same adding = 84 x .075 = £6.30 per week ... saving of £18.90 per week.

Not to forget what else you can slot into cheap rate at night. I’ve finally managed to get BG tariff working (from a prepay standard variable) even without the car charging I still save money because the whole house gets cheaper in the off peak window.

Eminently attainable for me, washer, dishwasher, water heater (that’s the biggie) and whatever else on cheaper leccy.

Another big up is the charger has split tails off the meter, its own CU and nice chunky cable to it - sets my mind more at rest.

A time of day tariff isn't much use to us as Mrs. Guru won't entertain heavy appliances (e.g. dishwasher/washing machine/tumble dryer) being left unattended whilst we're out or sleeping. So having a cheap rate purely for charging the car is pointless as all other usage would be more expensive.

A time of day tariff isn't much use to us as Mrs. Guru won't entertain heavy appliances (e.g. dishwasher/washing machine/tumble dryer) being left unattended whilst we're out or sleeping......
SNAP !! ... but there are some interesting tariffs around for Smart meters that will allow cheap rates during the day at certain times (e.g. Peak Save Sundays at BG between 1100am and 1600pm) without affecting your normal tariff.

So I am also looking at which 7kW charger to go with at home. I have solar panels (PV) so would also like to benefit from charging from them when I need to. I am looking at the Octopus Intelligent Go which would suit my EV charging and household appliance needs.
I see above that Octopus Intelligent Go works well with a Zappi and PV. My googling also brings up
Wallbox Pulsar Max which is some £250 cheaper than the Zappi. Both of these appear to be compatible with Octopus Intelligent Go and PV.
Can anyone tell me and the OP what I get for the extra £250 please?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back