Charging MG5 LR Exclusive Unlocked

DK1083

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Is it possible to sit in an MG5 Exclusive while charging? The handbook says the car must be locked but the dealer said it could be charged both locked and unlocked. Just thinking I might sometimes want to sit in the car while it’s charging but in hot weather have the door open.

Yes should be fine. I've not tended to sit inside whilst it charges, but I often unlock the car whilst charging - it turns the display on so I can see the progress of charging and hasn't stopped it charging yet!

Yes should be fine. I've not tended to sit inside whilst it charges, but I often unlock the car whilst charging - it turns the display on so I can see the progress of charging and hasn't stopped it charging yet!
Thank you!

Once the car has started charging I can sit in it or leave it with no issues. Just don't use the radio or Aircon unless in ready 'mode'
Thanks. It seems it is possible although the handbook says otherwise. Perhaps there has been an update that hasn't made it to the handbook yet. I only picked the car up on Tuesday so haven't had the opportunity to charge it yet.

Thanks. It seems it is possible although the handbook says otherwise. Perhaps there has been an update that hasn't made it to the handbook yet. I only picked the car up on Tuesday so haven't had the opportunity to charge it yet.
Best advice I can offer is do a fast charge (7kW, bring your own cable) at a supermarket/home or wherever and a rapid charge (CCS, cable provided) as soon as you can. You do not need to do it for long, the purpose is to make sure you are aware and are comfortable with the process before you find yourself floundering 150 miles away from home needing a charge and either you don't know what to do, or worse the car doesn't.
:)

Good advice. Thanks. The car was 100% charged when I collected it and is still 96% this morning so I’ll let it go down a bit then have a go locally as you suggest.. Thanks again.

I did a similar thing during the first month of ownership, used various 7kW EVSE's and rapid chargers with apps, RFID cards and credit cards just to see how it all worked.
You need apps even for free supermarket EVSE to 'confirm'the charge.

I did a similar thing during the first month of ownership, used various 7kW EVSE's and rapid chargers with apps, RFID cards and credit cards just to see how it all worked.
You need apps even for free supermarket EVSE to 'confirm'the charge.
Thanks. I've downloaded several apps including Bonnet,Pod-Point, Insta-Volt, Zap-Map and Plug Share.

My local Asda has a free BP Pulse but you need the app to start it.
Have you seen the Electric Juice card which covers a number of networks?

My local Asda has a free BP Pulse but you need the app to start it.
Have you seen the Electric Juice card which covers a number of networks?
We’re in a rural area and don’t have an Asda within 25 miles. We have both Tesco and Lidl though so I will be trying those. I wasn’t aware of the Electric Juice app but it’s probably similar to Bonnet? I will have a look at it though. Thanks for the information.

Bit like bonnet, but goes on your Octopus account to be paid by your DD, which makes things a lot more convenient and no pre-auths clogging up your bank account. Sadly they don't seem to cover many networks where I live and I'm yet to use it. Looks nice in my wallet though.

The 5 locks the plug in shortly after you plug it in, car locked or not, so it will charge unlocked.
I think this feature was probably an update that was done before the car actually came out but they didn't update the manual.

Is it possible to sit in an MG5 Exclusive while charging? The handbook says the car must be locked but the dealer said it could be charged both locked and unlocked. Just thinking I might sometimes want to sit in the car while it’s charging but in hot weather have the door open.
It’s possible on rapids - I’ve done it the twice I’ve rapid charged.

and also on 7kw's - choice of shopping and getting moaned at for putting too many things in the trolley or listening to my book :)
I hadn’t checked that. I just knew I had to lock it to charge from my zappi - the charge ends as soon as the door is unlocked. Is that usual? Or does the charge resume after a while? I’ve not tested that. I realise it must end or else how would it release the lead, just hadn’t thought about if it would resume.

My car is very quick to lock the pin in and start charging, regardless of the door being locked. Frequently at work it's locked the pin at the car end before I've even got it connected to the charger let alone locked the door.

yes, that's a thought, if you've been charging unlocked you might need to lock and unlock the car to release the cable at the car end

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom