Charging MG5 LR Exclusive Unlocked

yes, that's a thought, if you've been charging unlocked you might need to lock and unlock the car to release the cable at the car end
If car is unlocked, there is no need to lock and then unlock......just unlock. Unlocking works without having to lock first.

I hadn’t checked that. I just knew I had to lock it to charge from my zappi - the charge ends as soon as the door is unlocked. Is that usual? Or does the charge resume after a while? I’ve not tested that. I realise it must end or else how would it release the lead, just hadn’t thought about if it would resume.
After unlocking, watch the dash it will briefly say connecting...... and then continue charging.

After unlocking, watch the dash it will briefly say connecting...... and then continue charging.
Nope, unlocking stopped the charge. Left it for 5 minutes and it didn’t resume. Just said “charge delayed” on the zappi and app.

Nope, unlocking stopped the charge. Left it for 5 minutes and it didn’t resume. Just said “charge delayed” on the zappi and app.
OK that's different to mine. Does it do the same on a public 7kW charger ?
Just trying to eliminate whether it has anything to do with the Zappi/settings or not.

Hi can I just chip in yeh locked or unlocked still will charge if sitting in the car while it is charging and it switched off if you want to see the status of the state of charge you can do so by just pressing the brake pedal and the screen will light up to show state of charge.
Opening the boot plus a door does the same thing.
If you have the keyless locking which the exclusive has as long as the key is not anywhere near the car press the small button on the front door handles will also light up the display to show the state of charge with out unlocking the car but only if the key is not close by, all these tricks of been written about before in another thread about a year or so back.

Note to mourneuk with regard to ZAPPI yes the charge will restart after a short time and if the cable locks into the car just press the open button on the key fob or the one inside on the drivers door to release it by you need to be quick to pull the cable out as in seconds it will re lock itself well my 5SR does anyhow.
Les

Last edited:
OK that's different to mine. Does it do the same on a public 7kW charger ?
Just trying to eliminate whether it has anything to do with the Zappi/settings or not.
I don’t know, I haven’t tested it. I’ll try to do it this week

Hi can I just chip in yeh locked or unlocked still will charge if sitting in the car while it is charging and it switched off if you want to see the status of the state of charge you can do so by just pressing the brake pedal and the screen will light up to show state of charge.
Opening the boot plus a door does the same thing.
If you have the keyless locking which the exclusive has as long as the key is not anywhere near the car press the small button on the front door handles will also light up the display to show the state of charge with out unlocking the car but only if the key is not close by, all these tricks of been written about before in another thread about a year or so back.

Note to mourneuk with regard to ZAPPI yes the charge will restart after a short time and if the cable locks into the car just press the open button on the key fob or the one inside on the drivers door to release it by you need to be quick to pull the cable out as in seconds it will re lock itself well my 5SR does anyhow.
Les
Didn't k ow about pressing the brake to see the charge, very useful

First attempt at charging…
I’m on a Pod Point rapid charger at Tesco. Eventually fathomed out how to get the charge to start but then thought I would sit in the car and wait. Unlocked the car and charger stopped. Had to tap my card again to restart but had to have the car locked.
Chap next door to me is merrily charging on a fast charger sat in the car with the drivers door open! What am I doing wrong??

I'm no expert, but have you "claimed the charge" using the app, otherwise it starts and runs for just a few minutes then stops.

I'm no expert, but have you "claimed the charge" using the app, otherwise it starts and runs for just a few minutes then stops.
I’m afraid I’ve no idea. I ended up pressing anything that looked like it needed pressing and it started charging - until I opened the car door to sit in and it stopped. Locked the car door and it started again. To top it all I had originally intended to use a cable I bought last week on a fast charger only to find they had sent a type 2 to type 1 and of course it didn’t fit! Just checked my bank and somehow I’ve authorised two payments of £30 to Pod-Point plus £3.21 for the charge. I can only hope it gets easier. 😞

Last edited:
UPDATE… Re charging an MG5 Exclusive: Just spoke to a very nice man at Pod-Point who assured me that the only money that will be taken from my bank is the £3.21 for the actual charge.
He did try to talk me through the process which sort of made sense but without actually being at the machine it was still a bit over my head. He did suggest that although I only picked the car up a week ago it might need a “Comfort 2” update to enable it to charge whist unlocked. I shall contact the dealer who had assured me that all updates had been done!
Further update Just plugged my home charger in, (first time!) and it worked. Also continued to charge with me sitting in the car. I really must have been doing something wrong at the Pod-Point this afternoon!

Last edited:
I had 4 x £30 payments to Instavolt over the weekend, they weren't actually payments but the money was reserved (pending). They were due to aborted attempts at charging. Two have dropped off already and the other two will soon I hope!!

UPDATE… Re charging an MG5 Exclusive: Just spoke to a very nice man at Pod-Point who assured me that the only money that will be taken from my bank is the £3.21 for the actual charge.
He did try to talk me through the process which sort of made sense but without actually being at the machine it was still a bit over my head. He did suggest that although I only picked the car up a week ago it might need a “Comfort 2” update to enable it to charge whist unlocked. I shall contact the dealer who had assured me that all updates had been done!
Further update Just plugged my home charger in, (first time!) and it worked. Also continued to charge with me sitting in the car. I really must have been doing something wrong at the Pod-Point this afternoon!
Hi again I don’t think you have done anything wrong, so at my local Tesco’s there’s 4 AC chargers 2 of which are 7KW and 2 are up to 22KW now on all of these you need to use your own type 2 to Type 2 cable.
Plus as well as these above there is a 50KW DC Rapid charger which has its own big thick black cables 2 in fact one is for the likes of your car with CCS and the other often coloured blue is for Chadamo equipped vehicles like some Nissan Leaf.

So you park the car plug in your own type 2 to 2 cable and the car will start the charge, then you have about 15 minutes to comfirm the charge in the podpoint APP, as correctly point out by Smokie above, if you don’t after 15 minutes the charge will stop.
Now you said when you went to sit in the car it stopped charging it might, but once your in the car again in a minute or so the charge should restart.

Now you said that podpoint charged you £30 x2 don’t worry about that, annoying I know but that will come back to you in a few days and they will only take £3:21 for the KW you put into the car.

So that tells me you did not use your own cable ( I have read above you have the wrong cables anyhow so couldn’t use them ) and due to the money you where charged you must have used a 50 KW rapid so once charging on a rapid if it stops when you open the door to get back in the car so long as you have not unplug the cable it should restart the charge in a minute or so.

Ask said you have done nothing wrong I did the same myself the first charged at Tesco’s, but just in case you don’t know you only will pay at Tesco’s on the DC rapid charger and at Tesco the others I have listed at the start of this posting are Free to use with your own cable and the Podpoint App, downloaded for free.

We all have to learn so don’t get disillusioned and keep smiling every time you pass a fossil fuel station like I do.
Les.

Hi again I don’t think you have done anything wrong, so at my local Tesco’s there’s 4 AC chargers 2 of which are 7KW and 2 are up to 22KW now on all of these you need to use your own type 2 to Type 2 cable.
Plus as well as these above there is a 50KW DC Rapid charger which has its own big thick black cables 2 in fact one is for the likes of your car with CCS and the other often coloured blue is for Chadamo equipped vehicles like some Nissan Leaf.

So you park the car plug in your own type 2 to 2 cable and the car will start the charge, then you have about 15 minutes to comfirm the charge in the podpoint APP, as correctly point out by Smokie above, if you don’t after 15 minutes the charge will stop.
Now you said when you went to sit in the car it stopped charging it might, but once your in the car again in a minute or so the charge should restart.

Now you said that podpoint charged you £30 x2 don’t worry about that, annoying I know but that will come back to you in a few days and they will only take £3:21 for the KW you put into the car.

So that tells me you did not use your own cable ( I have read above you have the wrong cables anyhow so couldn’t use them ) and due to the money you where charged you must have used a 50 KW rapid so once charging on a rapid if it stops when you open the door to get back in the car so long as you have not unplug the cable it should restart the charge in a minute or so.

Ask said you have done nothing wrong I did the same myself the first charged at Tesco’s, but just in case you don’t know you only will pay at Tesco’s on the DC rapid charger and at Tesco the others I have listed at the start of this posting are Free to use with your own cable and the Podpoint App, downloaded for free.

We all have to learn so don’t get disillusioned and keep smiling every time you pass a fossil fuel station like I do.
Les.
Many thanks for this. Very encouraging! I need to order a replacement type 2 to type 2 cable now and will then be able to have a go on the other chargers.

Many thanks for this. Very encouraging! I need to order a replacement type 2 to type 2 cable now and will then be able to have a go on the other chargers.
Your welcome one thing I did not mention is if a some pointyou want to use a podpoint rapid at Tesco’s or anywhere else for that matter when you have the App on your phone you can if you want to load you bank/ credit card details on to it with some money let’s say £50 then you can then use the charger with the App in the same way as the other fast 7kw chargers so you don’t have to tap your card on the charger and you don’t get the £30 being held in you account
Les

... and that's the one thing I found somewhat annoying - well, two things actually - the number of different apps you need, and if you put your card details into them they all take a few quid and before long I've no idea which ones I've got credit on. I know it's not much but I'm coming round to just waving the card each time where I can rather than pre-loading credit (unless there is a significant advantage e.g. large saving).

But as I've said, I don't often need public charging.

... and that's the one thing I found somewhat annoying - well, two things actually - the number of different apps you need, and if you put your card details into them they all take a few quid and before long I've no idea which ones I've got credit on. I know it's not much but I'm coming round to just waving the card each time where I can rather than pre-loading credit (unless there is a significant advantage e.g. large saving).

Agreed. It’s very annoying but like you can’t will try to charge at home as much as possible.

My phone is loaded with apps for charging too, but I have only used 1, Bonnet for the freebies and now have a free refill. For the rest of the time I have just used contactless. From Leeds this spring/summer I have travelled to London and onto the south coast and back, been to Cheshire/Staffordshire, the east coast and to north Wales and Anglesey.
I have charged on Geniepoint, Gridserve, Osprey, Instavolt, Ionity rapids.
I think we all got the apps because we were all told on forums and elsewhere that we need them. Well on the whole I don't think we do now. Might be handy to see how your charge is going on the app whilst having your cuppa but not actually necessary.
However the coward in me won't be deleting the apps, or getting rid of my RFID cards yet.....just in case 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom