Charging MG5LR pre FL using CCS in France

scimitarjohn

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Visiting friends in France so will need a quick top up (310 mile journey) I plan on using the 50 kW at a Lidl on the way. Should I anticipate any problems? Do you just pay with Debit card or do you need an ap? Hope this doesn't sound too silly a question but I've only ever used the granny charger at home.

Visiting friends in France so will need a quick top up (310 mile journey) I plan on using the 50 kW at a Lidl on the way. Should I anticipate any problems? Do you just pay with Debit card or do you need an ap? Hope this doesn't sound too silly a question but I've only ever used the granny charger at home.
Lidl {uk} definitely is Pod Point, 50kw ccs, and you need the app to sign up for account. Bon Voyage👍

Check out your route on Zap-map to see if there are any rapid chargers above 50kW so a bit faster and maybe cheaper or that can use a credit card.

Hey
I have used the Lidl chargers in France loads of time. Never had a problem.:)

Just tap and go. They also have really simple instructions on them:)

Lidl is my goto charger spot in France.

I would suggest having a go locally before you set off, just to ease your mind. Better to have problems/questions close to home where people will understand you.

Hey
I have used the Lidl chargers in France loads of time. Never had a problem.:)

Just tap and go. They also have really simple instructions on them:)

Lidl is my goto charger spot in France.
Hi, it looks like my Freshmile charge card wont arrive in time for when I leave on Friday, have you charged using the app on your phone? if so can you tell me what's involved.

Hi, it looks like my Freshmile charge card wont arrive in time for when I leave on Friday, have you charged using the app on your phone? if so can you tell me what's involved.
Hey
They work with any credit card or debit card. I just use the ElectroVerse as it’s slightly cheaper.

They are dead easy to use. I found these photos of one I used

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 80
The left hand side is for a 3rd Party Mobility Card (I assume the likes of Bonnet/Electroverse). The right hand side says this:

Lidl rate at no extra cost Scan the QR code on the connector you want to connect to. To authenticate, choose your payment method and confirm the charge. Take the connector from its holder and plug it into your vehicle. To know the status of your charge, press the screen located on the terminal. O To stop charging, use your smartphone or unplug the cable from your vehicle. Return the cable to its holder.

We’ve used Electroverse RFID card in France - at Lidl - v easy. The Electroverse app shows all participating chargers. Does anyone recommend a backup RFID/app to have in France, Belgium and Netherlands?

AtVisiting friends in France so will need a quick top up (310 mile journey) I plan on using the 50 kW at a Lidl on the way. Should I anticipate any problems? Do you just pay with Debit card or do you need an ap? Hope this doesn't sound too silly a question but I've only ever used the granny charger at home.
We have just driven to the alps, 650 miles. The Electroverse card works on all the motorway service station fast chargers; ionity, engine, fastened etc.

Firstly, zap map won't really help you in Europe, I suggest chargemap
Secondly, as someone pointed out on here, try the elecroverse app, had a quick look and it seems to work in europe

Lidl is easy to use with the Qr code. ABRP will show faster chargers near your route. Chargemap likewise, plus their card is a usual backup card. Enjoy your trip
Btw there is a Critair system in France (similar to Ulez) that is being implemented in large cities, tho I don't know what happens with foreign cars. It only costs just over €3 online

Last edited:
Lidl is easy to use with the Qr code. ABRP will show faster chargers near your route. Chargemap likewise, plus their card is a usual backup card. Enjoy your trip
Btw there is a Critair system in France (similar to Ulez) that is being implemented in large cities, tho I don't know what happens with foreign cars. It only costs just over €3 online
Where appropriate, UK cars require a Crit'Air sticker, don't get caught out by the scammers, use the official site. Details, applicability and map accessible from:

We just drove to the Costa Brava and back in our MG5, Lidl chargers were great. We got a chargemap RFID card in advance and planned our route to go between the 120kw Lidl chargers which are €0.28 per KW (including Chargemap's cut) We only once found them in use. The only thing is Lidl don't have toilets, so you need to also stop on the motorway services.
PXL_20230819_130418923.jpg

We just drove to the Costa Brava and back in our MG5, Lidl chargers were great. We got a chargemap RFID card in advance and planned our route to go between the 120kw Lidl chargers which are €0.28 per KW (including Chargemap's cut) We only once found them in use. The only thing is Lidl don't have toilets, so you need to also stop on the motorway services.View attachment 19682
Good job.
France is so much easier and cheaper. Lid is always my go too. mmmm bread and cheese. I will be there Thursday.

Critair is very simple to get and very fast. Surprised that Sadiq hasn't implemented this to make yet more money.

Attachments

• IMG_5986.jpeg
    IMG_5986.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 56
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom