Charging my New MG5 at home

GordonH

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a wall socket 3 pin plug. I read it will take a very long time to charge and I need to charge overnight as fully as possible, what advice can anyone give me please

I have a wall socket 3 pin plug. I read it will take a very long time to charge and I need to charge overnight as fully as possible, what advice can anyone give me please
The key to success with granny charging at home is not to let the battery get too low. Before my Podpoint was installed I always kept the car topped up to 80%

This ^

I used the granny charger for three months before I got my wallbox, it was fine. Plugging in about 5pm, by 8am it was usually fully charged, starting from around 40%.
The thing to remember about the granny is it needs a properly wired socket, plenty of threads about that around though.

Depends on how much you need to charge and how often. A £1,000 for a 7.2kw evse doesn't necessarily pay for itself by putting more of your charging into the cheap hours of flexible Go, it starts paying itself off a lot faster if the alternative is needing to top up at a public charger as the granny doesn't deliver enough.

Personally I costed the install of an evse into my purchase price, meaning that it's a convenience for when I need to use it and will eventually pay for itself in savings.

I get around 25% added to battery on Economy 7 (7hrs) overnight from granny charger.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier in this thread, plug in around 5.00pm - 6.00pm at around 20% and by 8.00am - 9.00am you will have over 80% and ready to go for the day.

Frankly, fitting a wall box, was for me, a complete waste of money, as for most charges I use a handy 13a socket overnight. I've done this since I bought the MG5 over 2 years ago. I have never, to date, used a public charger, I think the cost would make my eyes water!

Like all things to do with EV's your own circumstances will dictate how successful you are with the concept. I bought my car for use up to 50-60 miles away and back again, so my 180 mile range and overnight home charging on a 13a socket is perfect and I couldn't be happier with it, I would not buy an EV if I did not have an off road charging facility or have to use public chargers all the time, nor for long trips involving charging away from home - horses for courses etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
..., I would not buy an EV if I did not have an off road charging facility ..., nor for long trips involving charging away from home - horses for courses etc.
When all cars are electric does this mean we go back to the middle ages where only the few venture further than their own village. :)

Please do check your daily needs. At 4500-5500miles pa for us no need for a 7kw unit upgrade. Likewise with Octopus GO tariff our daily KW needs (vs cheap rate for EV charging) I could save approx £2 per month. Apologies if this does not fit with most, but the maths (Octopus GO vs standard fixed tariff) suggest similar cost.

Please do check your daily needs. At 4500-5500miles pa for us no need for a 7kw unit upgrade. Likewise with Octopus GO tariff our daily KW needs (vs cheap rate for EV charging) I could save approx £2 per month. Apologies if this does not fit with most, but the maths (Octopus GO vs standard fixed tariff) suggest similar cost.

This is definitely the point, the answer depends entirely on the users needs. In most cases the evse install costs won't be realised in savings in a single vehicles lifetime.

For me it was convenience, plus confidence that I could recharge the vehicle enough for a round trip to work (70 miles) daily.

Does anyone else think the OP was possibly a troll/wind up/anti EV comment. Shirley I can't be the only cynic on here.

Does anyone else think the OP was possibly a troll/wind up/anti EV comment. Shirley I can't be the only cynic on here.
I won't call you Shirley, but one post with no reply to any of the many useful comments made would seem to strongly back up your assertion...

I do about 6k miles a year and use a zappi 2 charger, the7kw / hr charging rate does mean that in 1 hour you can put in 30 miles of travel. The real advantage is using Octopus Intelligent Go so I only pay 7.5p /kwh (75% less than a standard tariff.) I also have battery storage so all my household power is topped up at the cheap rate in the summer the solar adds another 4500Kwh. my average mileage cost this year is less than 1.5P per mile

It really is down to your daily mileage if the granny charger will be sufficient.

Most people get a wallbox installed and go on to an EV tariff. I would recommend MyEnergi ZAPPI wallbox and Octopus Go Intelligent tariff, the Zappi talks to Octopus to get cheap energy during peak time and you always get cheap energy between 23:30 and 05:30 (7.5p kWh). If youre not with Octopus, codes are availabnle to get you £50 credit into your account for joining.

I suppose I was one of the fortunate EV owners that benefitted from a UK government grant of £500 to install an EV charge point back in 2016 when I had an Outlander PHEV, it was topped up by the Energy Saving Trust through Home energy Scotland, they paid back my instalment of £240 so was net zero cost to me. I just had a look at gov.uk to see if there is any existing help for new EV owners and came across this concept that might be of interest to those of you considering battery storage as a solution. Families could use electric vehicle batteries to power homes and save on bills as government backs new charging technologies
IMO, it was one of the worst decisions UK government made was to withdraw home charge point incentive funding for those switching to BEV's.

I suppose I was one of the fortunate EV owners that benefitted from a UK government grant of £500 to install an EV charge point back in 2016 when I had an Outlander PHEV, it was topped up by the Energy Saving Trust through Home energy Scotland, they paid back my instalment of £240 so was net zero cost to me. I just had a look at gov.uk to see if there is any existing help for new EV owners and came across this concept that might be of interest to those of you considering battery storage as a solution. Families could use electric vehicle batteries to power homes and save on bills as government backs new charging technologies
IMO, it was one of the worst decisions UK government made was to withdraw home charge point incentive funding for those switching to BEV's.
No sign of any grants for equipment install though.........

I agree, although as far as worst decisions by the UK government goes, there's a hell of a lot of competition out there.

Whilst it would be nice to have the 'incentive' it precluded a lot of people unfairly eg people with no driveway or ones in rented accommodation etc. An incentive on car purchase was a much better idea IMHO, everyone making the move to an EV benefited.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom