Charging Port Electronic Lock Broken - Cannot charge car!

rjkirk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone else had a problem with the Charging Port Electronic Lock? My MG4 Trophy has one that is faulty and so you cannot charge the car. A new one has been ordered from China because it is coded to the vehicle. That was 4 weeks ago and my dealer can offer no clues as to how long it will take to arrive. Has anyone else had parts that had to be specially ordered? How long did it take?

Last edited:
Has anyone else had a problem with the Charging Port Electronic Lock? My MG4 Trophy has one that is faulty and so you cannot charge the car. A new one has been ordered from China because it ti coded to the vehicle. That was 4 weeks ago and my dealer can offer no clues as to how long it will take to arrive. Has anyone else had parts that had to be specially ordered? How long did it take?
Yep - It is generally know that the supply of replacement parts from MG can be slow.
If the part has to come direct from China on a back order, the wait can be long.
In our case, we needed an electronic handbrake actuator motor and a rear brake calliper.
We waited almost a month, but both parts where valued at about £160.00.
You can ask your dealer to contact MG parts via E.mail and request an ETA for your parts.
I did this and the first part arrived bang on time, but he second part slipped about 6 days.
The parts department only get an update, the day before they expect to receive the parts.
Yeah - I can imagine this can be very frustrating for both the customer the dealer and the owner !.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Charging Port Electronic Lock? My MG4 Trophy has one that is faulty and so you cannot charge the car. A new one has been ordered from China because it ti coded to the vehicle. That was 4 weeks ago and my dealer can offer no clues as to how long it will take to arrive. Has anyone else had parts that had to be specially ordered? How long did it take?
Is MG providing a car for you to use? If it is the standard charging port then this must be common across Kenya models?

Hope you have a courtesy car at least

Just a thought on this. If the charging flap opens ok then there is an emergency manual release inside the boot to remove a charging cable. It must be worth a try to use this manual release to then insert a charging cable. Try pulling the cable release whilst inserting the charging cable. I hope that this makes sense and I also hope that I'm not talking rubbish!
All the best...Chris.

Just a thought on this. If the charging flap opens ok then there is an emergency manual release inside the boot to remove a charging cable. It must be worth a try to use this manual release to then insert a charging cable. Try pulling the cable release whilst inserting the charging cable. I hope that this makes sense and I also hope that I'm not talking rubbish!
All the best...Chris.
No, there is something internal to the port which is faulty. You can attach and detach a cable but it will not lock in position and therefore will not charge.

Ok. Then you will be playing the waiting game unfortunately. My SR was delivered with a small crack in the corner of the infotainment screen which the dealer pointed out to me. A new one took 6 weeks to arrive so parts do arrive..eventually!
Hope that the appropriate parts don't take to long to arrive.
All the best...Chris.

Yep - It is generally know that the supply of replacement parts from MG can be slow.
If the part has to come direct from China on a back order, the wait can be long.
In our case, we needed an electronic handbrake actuator motor and a rear brake calliper.
We waited almost a month, but both parts where valued at about £160.00.
You can ask your dealer to contact MG parts via E.mail and request an ETA for your parts.
I did this and the first part arrived bang on time, but he second part slipped about 6 days.
The parts department only get an update, the day before they expect to receive the parts.
Yeah - I can imagine this can be very frustrating for both the customer the dealer and the owner !.
With Chinese New Yearcoming up next week, it should arrive by the summer then!

With Chinese New Yearcoming up next week, it should arrive by the summer then!
That and apparently another big COVID wave, if you believe certain outlets.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Charging Port Electronic Lock? My MG4 Trophy has one that is faulty and so you cannot charge the car. A new one has been ordered from China because it is coded to the vehicle. That was 4 weeks ago and my dealer can offer no clues as to how long it will take to arrive. Has anyone else had parts that had to be specially ordered? How long did it take?
UPDATE! With no sign of the new part or any communication from the factory, the MG dealership is swapping my car out for another brand new car due in this week. Well done MG Eastbourne.

No, this is a brand-new car, so still using my old one, the problem was discovered in the pre-deliveryy checks. Should have picked the car up on December 20th. Over a month later and still no car.
Good to see someone affiliated with MG has a sense of what is right and wrong, I take it you haven't started paying for the first car yet

I got a new charger port housing for my mk1 mg5 which included the Charging Port Electronic Lock the part only took 3 days to get to the dealer fitted it myself no recording required cost £140 if I remember rightly still have the old one in the shed I think the Electronic Lock is the same across all MG EVs

Cash sale unfortunately, paid up a couple of days before I was supposed to pick it up. But they are refunding me the interest I have lost and the loss of road tax refund!

I got a new charger port housing for my mk1 mg5 which included the Charging Port Electronic Lock the part only took 3 days to get to the dealer fitted it myself no recording required cost £140 if I remember rightly still have the old one in the shed I think the Electronic Lock is the same across all MG EVs
On MG4s they are coded to the chassis, no idea why mind you.

Some one hit me back in December - had to go to toomey mg in Basildon and I collected the car mid March!!!!!!!! Getting the parts was a nightmare for them. And the wait for me was annoying. The car will be 1 on the 1st April - so lost 3 months in the first year.
Now this morning it’s suddenly not charging. Cable in but app keeps saying insert cable. App not working either this morning. Deleted and re-installed now cannot find my car. Want to cry!!!

All the best...Chris.
I thought this video might be useful for everyone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back